I applied for a car-loan, with no vehicle chosen yet..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0ldengirl68

Reaction score
.. but gave amount I thought I might need for a Van.  I wanted to ask folks about the sort of mileage is acceptable, but I also realize it's maybe more important to see what my first impression is of how it's been taken care of, then, have my auto-mechanics look at it.

One for 10,000 I could afford with a 4 year, lower % rate, but I see some Vans that I might be happy with that are 6,000, and maybe 134,000 miles. Just thinking outloud here, welcome feedback.  The other issue is finding one near enough to me as I don't want to drive so far I can't have "my mechanics" look at it ;)

Depends on what you are looking for. My 2015 Chevy City Express with 140,000 still runs great. I'd take it anywhere. If you plan on taking out a 4 year loan, I'd want to make sure I was getting something I thought would last 4 years without a ton of expense. Would I trust my van for 4 more years? If I was putting 10-12k on it a year, yeah. If I was going to put 30K or more, maybe not.

You no doubt have heard it said highway miles are easier on a vehicle than a lot of city driving, short distance miles. So the direct compariso of mileage is not exactly straight forward as to condition and future longevity. It also matters how heavy the loads it was carrying were. Heavy loads put a lot more wear per mile on vehicles. If you are lucky you might find out something about its previous history.

Try to put down enough of a down payment (or trade-in value) so that you are not 'upside down' on the loan.

That is not a good position to be in, especially with a used vehicle.

It is good to chat it out, think it up and you got money to buy when ya see what you want.

Just start digging around....call some car dealerships also and hit up their used van options on the lot and check private sellers etc.....just keep checking, you will hit on what works for you for sure.

Just KEEP YOUR needs in mind and don't jump to buy something smaller if you need a tad more size.
Don't buy something that needs a crap ton of any work LOL as you know etc.

Just keep looking and that perfect vehicle will pop up and you pull the trigger and away you go :)

Just a word of warning about getting a pre-approved loan...My bank pre-approved me. I went shopping that weekend. Found the cargo van I wanted. Then saw on the terms and conditions the loan wasn't applicable for "commercial vehicles" which is a cargo van. Caused me to find another lender that didn't care what I bought. It was frustrating. Be sure to let your bank know WHAT you want to buy ahead of time and also check with your insurance company to see if there are any insurance issues BEFORE shopping.

john*thomas said:
  If I was putting 10-12k on it a year, yeah. If I was going to put 30K or more, maybe not.
My thoughts/plans would be permanent address in Oregon for Summertime (RV or long-term rental space to live) then South for Winter, hopefully find an RV, or long-term rental space)  I know it would not suit me to do a lot of driving and exploring on my own, so I would want a more familiar route.  I have a friend that did this and worked the same, Summer job in Oregon, and was able to just veg out during the Winter months.  Same place in AZ each year.  That's what I would hope to do.  I will check with him on costs, and places ;)
maki2 said:
You no doubt have heard it said highway miles are easier on a vehicle than a lot of city driving, short distance miles.
I definitely won't want to drive more than just from one Park to another as a Snowbird, and the shortest trips I can find for store/groceries, and site-seeing.  I would hope to steer clear of cities as much as possible ;)
tx2sturgis said:
Try to put down enough of a down payment (or trade-in value) so that you are not 'upside down' on the loan.
Saving for that now, and I realize I wouldn't get much trade in value from my little truck.  Just want to gather as much feedback as I can here, to refer to should I find that Van I can afford, and will be comfy for me. I had to admit I have more limits and since I traveled like "sort of" a gypsy most of my life, it was always job to job, and rented an apartment right away, or before I even arrived.  Much different now.  I might decide, also, to sell my truck on my own, get more for it that way, maybe ;)
RoamerRV428 said:
It is good to chat it out, think it up and you got money to buy when ya see what you want.
I can't imagine trying to do this without talking to people that have gone before me.  It's a huge step, and although I'd rather not have a car-payment, I don't want to wait as I am not getting younger, go figure ;)
Artsyguy said:
Just a word of warning about getting a pre-approved loan...My bank pre-approved me. I went shopping that weekend.  Found the cargo van I wanted. Then saw on the terms and conditions the loan wasn't applicable for "commercial vehicles" which is a cargo van. 
I yacked with the bank about this, they wanted to get me pre-approved but I didn't think about any rig they might call a commercial vehicle, since my 94 Mazda B3000 pickup is considered a commercial vehicle here in CA!!  

Thanks again to each of you for your input, Denise

I think you'll definitely get more for your truck selling it by yourself than you will as a trade-in. A dealership isn't likely to want it because of its age and will play games to make it look like they're giving you more for it when in reality they've priced their vehicle high in the first place.

Latest posts