I’ve Chosen My Power Station

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven’t ordered it yet. I post here on the forum what I’m interested in, then wait for everyone to respond and go from there based on everyone’s advice.

Sometimes I take the advice, sometimes I don’t. I can return something if it doesn’t quite work the way I want it to.

Good luck with the cooler. Follow up and keep us posted on how it works please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill keep you informed, I went with the Bluetti because after all the reviews it came down to Jackery & Bluetti, When I had cash in hand yesterday, the Bluetti bundle was $100 cheaper than the Jackery

I went with Bluetti also, Ac50S bundle.

I’ll get the EB150 later down the line.

I don’t get mine until the 22nd of this month.

Hobotech says those are nice units. Hope it works out for you..should work well with a small compressor fridge...

The thermoelectric coolers will eat up your battery as much or more than a small compressor type.

You can find thermoelectric coolers like that at almost any thrift store. They really don't do the trick unless the ambient temperature is decent.

With a quick search I found a small compressor unit that might work well for you. It's only 9 liters. I have the 40L unit shown, and it's worked well for me. To make room, maybe you can store some of your non perishable food inside it. Or even have some gel packs to keep cool for when the heat is a little much but you don't want to run the ac. You can always turn it down to make ice, or raise the temp to just cool and save some battery. They are very versatile. Plus, it's tiny and cute lol

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WFHS79...abc_WWSHSH0EFE6SZM1N1THB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If you can spare a little extra space this is one I have and I can say it's terrific. And the price just dropped apparently to $199. Fast to cool or freeze, and it's extremely quiet.

Again regarding the space issue. Find things you can store inside it even if they are in ziploc bags, to make up for space lost. Pack some clothing or whatnot around it to insulate it and even further reduce battery draw. Might be a win win

What size gas generator would I need to charge a Bluetti AC50S battery?

I live in a car, so hoping to get a smaller generator.

I have solar panels, but I would like a generator that can charge the battery at night time. I only plan on charging the battery with the generator, so I don’t need something huge.

EDIT: I plan on getting a Bluetti EB150, a 1500 Wh battery in the future. I guess I should plan for that.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Gen...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Many places you are not allowed to run a generator at night and even places you are if any one else is around trying to sleep they won't like you very much! best time to bulk charge batteries is in the morning as that will normally be when batteries are at their lowest state of charge. the solar can then slowly top them off to full charge by afternoon or early evening. You really need to adapt yourself to doing things that require the most power while the generator is running or the sun is shinning so you are not as likely to need as much stored power out of the batteries.

bullfrog said:
Many places you are not allowed to run a generator at night and even places you are if any one else is around trying to sleep they won't like you very much! best time to bulk charge batteries is in the morning as that will normally be when batteries are at their lowest state of charge. the solar can then slowly top them off to full charge by afternoon or early evening.

I’ll make sure I’m far away from anyone so I don’t bother them. Plenty of open space on BLM so I’m far away from anyone.

I'm trying to see just how much of my daily power requirements can be serviced with just solar charged batteries. I really don't need too much outside of what MUST be run by my gennie - a TT AC and possibly a microwave although I don't use one much even at the house. Perhaps a my big coffee maker which pulls 900 w. Anyway, yesterday I tested out charging the power pack with the flex panels with the pack at 37%. The real interest here was to see how much line loss was going to be w a 25' extension cable w SAE to SAE connectors I bought to give me more flexibility in remoting the panels. Started at 12:15 and initially hooked up the 6' cable to get a baseline charging wattage which was between 58 and 62 watts with SWAG'd angle and orientation. Nowhere near the advertised 100 watts but I don't expect them to produce anywhere near that unless everything is perfect.

Next, I hooked up the 25' and the wattage dropped to between 52 and 54 watts so there's between 6 and 8 watts difference between using the two. As long as there's time and sun I don't mind the drop in wattage since it's really nice to have that extra length. I had set up the panels on my zero grav lounger to make it easy to adjust the angle and I thought it worked pretty well! Stretched a bungee cord between the arm rests to act as a footer and then used a couple of WM clamps to hold it in place. An old broom stick acted as the spine to keep it flattened out and to help adjust the angle.

Obviously had to keep moving the contraption to keep up w the sun but by 3:00 pm it was at 99% charge and when I came back from a beer run (out of suds) 15 min later, it was fully charged and the pack automatically shut down. I really like this GOLAB and it has shown that it will run my empty 45qt 12v refer for well over 40 hours at between 38 and 40 degrees w no problems. Full, I'll bet it will run it ~ 48 hours. The GOLAB is still on sale at 100 bucks off w coupon so I used a little more of my stimulation and bought another arriving today.

That way I have ~ 96 hours of endurance for what I use most, up to and including the refer by alternating charging with the flex panels. That's a pretty good amount of flexibility without having to deploy the bug system. My next test will be with the MC4 to SAE cables to attach one of my glass 100w panels to the pack and see how that performs. After that, I'll test out the 20a CC which I got to replace the 10a which came with the pack but is widely reviewed as inadequate for the job.

Cheers!

Had to switch browsers to post these.

Attachments

• IMGP0177.JPG
    IMGP0177.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMGP0178.JPG
    IMGP0178.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMGP0182.JPG
    IMGP0182.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
My GOLABS will be here on Wednesday. Glad to hear yours is working well.

Camper said:
My GOLABS will be here on Wednesday. Glad to hear yours is working well.

Arrived about an hour ago in the worst shape Amazon box I've ever gotten. It was just thrown in a large box along with the 20a CC I bought as well to bang around in. 1 single piece of bubble pack (literally 1 bubble). and it was smashed to hell. As soon as I got it, I unpacked it and plugged it into the 12v fridge - luckily it was working. It's at 34% right now with the fridge drawing 41 w and 12.1 v. I'm about to see if it charges. The box came from the Birmingham warehouse that just had an unsuccessful union vote. Wouldn't be surprised if a disgruntled type packed it. It was really messed up. Luckily, the unit itself in its own box is very well packed and padded...

Cheers.

JDub. Is your battery a lithium? If not you might want to check on how low your battery can get without damage. I can’t be sure but I don’t think they are supposed to be discharged more than 50%. Anyone with more knowledge want to chime in?

We have all killed batteries by discharging them too low. It can be expensive.