Hurricane approaching SE.....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenny flank

Reaction score
For the folks currently in the Southeast, this hurricane looks like it will be a big one.  Keep an eye on it and get out if you need to.

My gas tank is full just in case.

Be smart. Be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I wouldn't mess around at all. If I were there and a hurricane was coming, I'd be leaving... now. Period.

Knowing what we know about the highway system and what has happened historically, I'd be no further south than Pensacola at this point....

The Dire Wolfess

At current, there is no solid prediction about what path it will take or where/when it will make landfall. Probably not till next weekend, and most likely in one of the Carolinas or Georgia. But that could change. So keep your eyes open if you're anywhere in the potential landfall area.

I'm in Virginia Beach. I was planning on heading out to Chattanooga in a couple weeks anyway, so if it looks like it'll be getting close to here, I'll just head on over there early.

I evacuated for Hurrican Irma...left the east coast of Florida for the west coast...she changed course. ...I headed to North Florida...she followed....ditto Ga....ditto Dothan, AL.....the last straw was me camping in Central AL and the ranger saying she was heading our way. By then I was fed up with heat-seeking missile and drove home ...through AL, GA, and FL. I had the road to myself!

I'm still hovering in the SE. So far, so good. I should say SW being to SE and back but I had a plan to visit friends and they are not too concern about the hurricane (s).

I thk we are okay...

Projected landfall is north Carolina, at 138 mph winds

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I live right in the path.. wilmington, NC.... been prepping to get on the road by december..... hoping it makes a turn back out to sea.. but looks like we will get hit head on....

I'm gonna bug out--I'm leaving for Tennessee Tuesday morning.

Like Lenny said, keep your gas tanks full. I hope everyone stays safe.

Get away from the N&S Carolina and the Virginia coastal areas. Now. Be aware of flooding in the streams in the hilly areas.

Store shelves are emptying.
Consider that many folks will be bugging out so gas stations will shut down early so unless you can pay at the pump you are out of luck. Then again, everyone else will be trying to get gas. About ten-fifteen years ago when Texas did a mass evacuation from the Houston area, a tank of gas didn't get you very far because you spent all the gas idling waiting to get through red lights. Those folks filled up the hotels quickly. Then there was the odd glitch. In Texas, two major evacuation roads out of Houston converge at the small town of Giddings. Miles and miles of vehicles waiting to get through town trying to get to hotels in Austin. Property owners stretched out water hoses to the highway and set up makeshift portapotties. People were crawling through fences to potty in the woods. Entrepreneurs drove ATVs down the sides of the road selling very expensive iced drinks, gallons of water, and full gas cans.
Nowdays with better navigation and gps one can loop around through county roads if you don't have to stop in towns.

gsfish said:
Did I say Florence? Where did that come from? I meant Gordon!

lol! i just figured you were yachting or something :D

May I just add something about safety in a vulnerable abode?

Just last week a mam was killed in his mobile home when a tree came down on it during a windy storm.  I don't recall where or the name of the storm.  Perhaps search on duckduckgo.com

Amazing how many safety regulations there are, but none seem to be educating people to look around their home or site for danger.  If in doubt, JUST MOVE yourself, or rig.

lenny flank said:
I'm gonna bug out--I'm leaving for Tennessee Tuesday morning.
Glad to hear it! Looks like it's going to be a bad one. My son in Chapel Hill refuses to leave.

The Dire Wolfess

Radio this morning mentioned energy building up to possible Category 5 by landfall Thursday in No, So Carolina.

QinReno said:
Radio this morning mentioned energy building up to possible Category 5 by landfall Thursday in No, So Carolina.
Yep, it's got plenty of overheated ocean to power it. Too bad we can't store that power and use it! Elon Musk, are you listening? No? Thought not.

Hope everyone in the path is being prudent and getting the #@&! out before it's too late. The flooding is going to be horrific. No time to be trying to ride it out in anything with wheels.

The Dire Wolfess

A friend asked me to post this here. The State of W Virginia is offering a 55% discount at their state parks to anyone fleeing Florence. www.wvstateparks.com If you book online you can use discount code: FLORENCE

There's a popup on their homes page that shows this. Stay safe.

Latest posts