Howdy - new not new lol

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABBS

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm new-ish lol. I tried to join once before but my account had a glitch. I only posted like twice or something and it was a couple years ago. 

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]So, been part timing it from 2016-2019 and now full time since June 1st 2020. [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I am a graduate student and I am doing my thesis work on mobile dwelling. I would be doing this regardless because I got the nomad bug! But doing it as part of my thesis work allowed me to compete for a scholarship that is funding some of my bus conversion. I'll talk more about that elsewhere.[/font][/font][/size]

Before I had a minivan I was spending time camping in but not full time. I had built a bed, little kitchen etc. I loved it but I have physical limitations and I live in Canada so... I needed something I could stand up in and bc of winter here, I couldn't spend the winter months inside a lot in a minivan. Going south wasn't an option.

Now I own a chevy g3500 express I call BABBS - bad ass beagle bus. :D 

I bought babbs in february this year but couldn't go pick it up until May 1st - and I had to move in May 31st. I ended up living in the minivan for an additional 3wks. Since then the bus has been underconstruction. I have an instagram if anyone wants any extra pics etc @badassbeaglebus

I won't go into details right now but I will be posting about what has been done and what I will be doing... with pics. I could really use some practical input on some issues I have yet to solve , could really use some input from people who have done conversions... on a number of topics. I hope I can contribute to what others need as well.

So... am really hoping to meet some cool folks, share info and who knows... by next summer maybe even find a caravan I can join.  :) Any fellow Cannucks out there feel free to connect here or on instagram.

Really hoping to make some nomad friends

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome, you are in the right place! With on a thesis in mobile dwelling, what is your area of study? I looked at your instagram and it looks like you have a sweet bus and it came with very appropriate graphics - "Living the Good Life..."

Welcome to the forum! And have fun with the build and your paper.  -crofter

mygypsy said:
Welcome, you are in the right place! With on a thesis in mobile dwelling, what is your area of study? I looked at your instagram and it looks like you have a sweet bus and it came with very appropriate graphics - "Living the Good Life..."
i gotlocked out of my account and this site doesnt work so well on ipad, which is an assistive device for me. I had to install another browser just to use for this. So much for the mobile compatibility lol. I plan to be much more active. This has been the longest/shortest century crammed into a year.

I am getting my masters in fine art! I was awarded a Canadian Institute of Health research grant to make it into my thesis. Win win! Ill talk more about that elsewhere but i am studying the impact of housing crunch, growing rich:poor gap and how there are surprising aspects of liberty in a path many see as the end of the road - pardon the pun lol.

a bus was not my first choice bc of size, gas costs etc... but i got an awesome deal so i grabbed it. 64k miles on it... $7500. Paid for in less than a year. ironically the graphic text living the good life was already on it! An omen :)

In which province of Canada are you currently residing? I've driven from Toronto to BC on the Trans-Canada Highway with (brief) visits to Waterloo, Winnipeg, Edmonton, etc. on the way to California; it is a beautiful country.

mygypsy said:
It came with those! Lol. It actually was an ad for the old folks home it once belonged to... living the good life at blah blah blah estates lol. My field of study is fine art... and so i will have a thesis exhibition of work based on this life but I also will write academic papers on aspects of it... like the housing crunch and growing gap bw rich and poor that drive a lot of folks to this life. It is beautiful that people come bc of desperation and find liberty and joy.

SLB_SA said:
In which province of Canada are you currently residing?  I've driven from Toronto to BC on the Trans-Canada Highway with (brief) visits to Waterloo, Winnipeg, Edmonton, etc. on the way to California; it is a beautiful country.
Nova Scotia. I went across Newfoundland last summer then back again. Btw NL is  terrific for van/bus dwellers... they have a tradition of camping in non traditional spaces like old quarries or abandoned sections of highways etc.. the people are friendly, it is safe, beautiful and most of the land is public land. Just watch out for the four legged speed bumps (more moose per sq km than anywhere, i think)

hoping to be able to travel safely and freely by next year

SLB_SA said:
In which province of Canada are you currently residing?  I've driven from Toronto to BC on the Trans-Canada Highway with (brief) visits to Waterloo, Winnipeg, Edmonton, etc. on the way to California; it is a beautiful country.
Nova Scotia. I went across Newfoundland last summer then back again. Btw NL is  terrific for van/bus dwellers... they have a tradition of camping in non traditional spaces like old quarries or abandoned sections of highways etc.. the people are friendly, it is safe, beautiful and most of the land is public land. Just watch out for the four legged speed bumps (more moose per sq km than anywhere, i think)

hoping to be able to travel safely and freely by next year