Howdy from Arizona...time to plant my feet firmly~ in thin air!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gideon33w said:
No no. I mean what I said, which is that the majority of people rarely need 4x4. Which is completely true.
It's a different case when intentionally taking your rig offroad and double during weather.

BUT... that is virtually the definition of a full-time boonocker: intentionally taking your rig off-road (you can't camp on the road, you MUST get off it--which is generally where I get stuck) even during bad weather.

So your statement was true for the average house-dweller, not so true for the average nomad who is a boondocker.

Do the majority of vandwellers park offroad or in parking lots? Or even add in park finished parking areas? Now I'm just curious.
The more camping like boondocking I've done has almost ALL been in BLM land areas with pretty well sorted parking areas.

Sorry, I know we are now getting a bit off topic and ultimately it is just different for different people.

Edit: I started a poll in the Topics That Dont Fit section. Curious how and where most people park now.

akrvbob said:
BUT... that is virtually the definition of a full-time boonocker: intentionally taking your rig off-road (you can't camp on the road, you MUST get off it--which is generally where I get stuck) even during bad weather.

There have been numerous times during the monsoon or winter rain in Arizona when I've gotten hemmed-in and no travel was possible whatsoever.

We wait, things change.  

Even a numbered forest road can go "gumbo" in minutes. 

Have always had 4x in Arizona and learned what it is like to not have it recently.
The auto hubs failed (over greased) and the incline of a gumbo'd dirt road which would not of been an issue, turned into an opportunity to spike camp the night.
Replaced with manual hubs, eliminating further failures.

I've been on hard scrabble in the Rockies which 4x was a necessity on the sunniest of days.
I'd be fine 2x if my plan was just to bivouac in Ehrenberg. Yet if my call to roam the Mountain West is to be answered, my rig choice must be taken fully into account.
A  van or truck camper or even a c class with flip switch posi-traction would amp up my game. As would a 4x van or truck camper.
Gideon's comment about burying the axel in the arroyo reminds me that NO equipment can save me from myself.

Going full-time, I must be aware of my limitations- avoid the stupid mistakes of the past... in order to allow the stupid mistakes of the now.  
And grow!