How Would You Describe the Mechanic You See in the Mirror?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A colorful vocabulary is a part of every mechanic's 'toolbox'. In my USAF term, two of us were working the midnight shift on the flightline. Periodically someone would hear a good round of cursing, and they didn't know out in the dark which of us it was...... until they heard the tools banging on the concrete after being thrown. Then they knew it was my buddy "Speedy". I NEVER threw my tools! :D

Sometimes I wish I was less of a mechanic, my friends are tired of listening to me talk about vehicles all the time. I worked as a service tech for Subaru for many years, joined the Army, learned to fix rotary wing aircraft. I am now a defense contractor who enjoys getting greasy under the hood these days. So when I look in the mirror, I see a greasy monkey/junkyard dog...

I'm inexperienced, but willing to try just about anything, if I have a Chilton's manual. I've replaced a clutch, hydraulic brakes, hood release, and done oil changes.

My friends joke I can fix anything if I have enough pictures to guide me.:D

OLD. :D:D But then, after 45 years as a heavy equipment mechanic and as many building hot rods and race cars, I guess it's because I am.... OLD :D:D

20 years as a professional mechanic for GM and Chrysler/Dodge dealerships, spent 5 years with my brother back in the day restoring from the ground up a 1969 Chevelle SS, it's a passion of mine for all my life. Looking in the mirror today and I see a grimace on my face as I think to myself, Oh my achy bones, I'm too old for this, LOL!

at 16 I bought a 1953 Plymouth that was a yellow cab with 230k miles for 35 dollars( my own money) did not like the color so i bought a quart of pink paint and re-painted the car cut the steering wheel like an airplane and removed the muffler so it would be loud, the cold air warped the valves but i did'nt care this was my car. I look in the mirror and see a happy go lucky guy that gets a break once in a while.

A little chubby; Kind face; Soft hands; Open & kind to strangers; Not skilled enough to do major mechanical; Got his java; Kind to himself; Happy with life. :heart:

Glad this one got resurrected - it gave me a good insight into the skill levels around here for when I need help...:D

When I look in the mirror I see a very much retired 'mechanic'.

My earliest memories are me getting hell from my mother for getting grease on my clothes from being out in the garage as 'Daddy's little helper'. At 15 I could tear a standard transmission apart on Saturday and still go out Sat. night looking like a princess...do they even sell that white creamy hand cleaner anymore...:)

Today, I have road service for flat tires and tows, a mechanic who knows me well enough that when I describe a noise or tell him what the problem is, he doesn't dismiss me. I have enough mechanical knowledge to know whether to drive it home, pull over or crawl to the next exit and also enough that strange auto repair shops don't get away with their crap that they try to feed blondes/women/strangers.

The old guy looking back at me in the mirror is a horrible mechanic. I have tried and seem to do more damage than I repair. A very good friend of mine who is Shop Foreman at a dealership will work on my car or van only if I haven't tried to repair it. Sort of hurt my feelings. Tires, oil and fluids sure. but anything else.. Nope.

Terrific at diagnostics. Horrible at actual repairs wrench turning. Unless it's electronics. Can fix any electronics system in any context.

Describe the mechanic I see in the mirror? He's kind of creepy, as he is standing behind me and got into my house somehow. :)

He looks dumber than a dirt clod. But he saves my ass all the time. Good thing looks aren't everything!