How Would You Describe the Mechanic You See in the Mirror?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, this thread, along with some reservations about becoming houseless, has made me decide to go back to work, as much as I can. I'm going to open my shop up here and fix used cars for resale again. Probably take in some side work too. Just have to see how much punishment my old bones can take to know if I can make out still.

I'm in the 'slow' crowd too. Been wrenching off & on for forty-plus years. Started on my bicycle as a kid, then a motorcycle, then into muscle cars. Got into aircraft mechanics in the USAF for four years, then electronics in the Navy for six more. I am the son a DIYer who grew up during the depression - Dad taught me a lot. Wood working, plumbing, house electrics, the whole lot. I do my own gunsmithery unless it's something needing true high level skills.
Got another motorcycle in 2005 and have had it stripped to the bare bones, rebuilt and runs fine. Have 'farkled' it pretty heavy (add on mods...).
Now I have my late Dad's old 1986 Ford van that he'd always have me doing the serviving and maintenance on. Restoring it now, then will turn it into a "B".
I like working with my hands. I am a computer programmer (25 years now), and still build the occasional scale model. I am always doing something......

Being a woman has some benefits in the auto mechanic game. My hands fit in the tiny little spaces you sometimes have to work in on a van. I'm patient, which is something some guys I know could use a lesson in. I'm not as likely to try and make something fit by manhandling it until it breaks. I know when something is out of my realm of knowledge and when it's time to let a pro do it. I will read instructions. Not to rag on all you boys, I really do need you to loosen the bolts.

Huh.. he looks like he's tired of all this wrenchin' and figures on getting miiiighty friendly with a case of beer. ..Willy.

Faster, cheaper, and lasts longer.

He needs a hair cut.

I just climbed out from under my van again. Another $200 and it will be as rebuilt as I want it. After installing the motor, mounts, exhaust system, new fuel hoses, (From the fuel tank on out) coolant hoses, belts, tune up, brakes, calipers, rotors, ball joints, and tie rod ends, as well as the steering linkage. Oh yea, a few odd wires and electronic pickups. A steering box and power steering pump is all that is left. All this for less than $1,200 out of pocket. (I know where to shop!)

I am slower than a politician spending his own money, but the job is done right the first time.

one of those whippersnappers, has only done half of it but knows he can do it all, really cheap when it comes to buying parts but can be fast when not paranoid about breaking or losing stuff.
i have stripped every motorcycle i have owned with the exception of my current bike to the bare frame, and rebuilt the motor on one of them. i can't say the same thing for cars but i have got in a decent amount of body and mechanical work. it always seems to be money, tools or motivation stalling my projects.

Been working on both trucks this week. He is grumpy if you stop to talk to him. He is very slow and takes lots of breaks. But he can figure out the problem and has the right tools and can fabricate as necessary. He remembers his Army days and calls it Field Expedience. His redneck neighbor calls it something else. He knows where to get the cheapest quality parts and has been known to return junk to NAPA. He seems to be in some Zin-State with a wrench in his hand. Did I say he is slow? But when the job is finally finished it is done right and he knows it. He will hand wash dishes for a week to get the black out of the cracked callouses on his fingers. Tonight he will pull down a bottle of Spanish or Portuguese red wine, cuddle with his squeeze, and toss treats to her cats.

Zil; Permatex hand cleaner. About $2 at most parts houses for a 14 oz tub of cream. It works great to get grease out of the work cloths also. I buy about 2 or 3 at a time. Just get some in your hand, and rub them together. Wipe with a towel, and repeat then wash with water. Clean and nice smelling hands.

Attachments

• 20140504_0004371.jpg
    20140504_0004371.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20140504_0004441.jpg
    20140504_0004441.jpg
    789.4 KB · Views: 5
That is a good hand cleaner. I worked underground utilities for many decades. my hands are hard calloused and cracked. Hand cleaners only help the surface. Washing dishes with Dawn for about a week works real well.

I took my van into a mechanic to diagnose an overheating issue. It was "free" but they broke a hood latch while they had it then told me it would be 2 hours labor to change out the fan clutch. I should have just diagnosed it myself - I would have found the bad part eventually. The mechanic suggested this old van wasn't worth putting any money into. I think he just doesn't like working on my weird van with the engine underneath the driver's seat. I took his advice and changed the part myself in an hour. While I was in there changed the valve cover gasket and cleaned up a bunch of caked on oil the last one had been slowly oozing for years.

A week before this my engine light came on. Checking the codes on this thing requires inserting a wire in a connector and counting flashes of the engine light. It just needed a $30 oxygen sensor which was easy to swap out.

Maybe it would be wise to get something newer with all the time I spend away from civilization but it wouldn't be nearly as much fun! I love feeling in touch with my rig, knowing its quirks and feeling a sense of pride when the engine purrs like it does now with 240k miles on it. Ok, it also squeaks but I just bought the parts to fix that...

Wow, I just looked in the mirror and didn't see a mechanic at all!

mockturtle, me too! I just see a guy with a baffled look saying, "What's the round doohickey with the pointy thing?"
Bob

The mechanic in my mirror looks very rusty, but still knows enough to pick up on it when a professional mechanic is trying to con him out of his pay check.

bindi&us said:
I know how to cuss and throw wrenches with the best of 'em :D

It's only in the last ten years or so that I've put any real effort into learning these skills. I find that I'm a much calmer individual now that I have these outlets for pent up frustration.:angel:

sephson said:
It's only in the last ten years or so that I've put any real effort into learning these skills. I find that I'm a much calmer individual now that I have these outlets for pent up frustration.:angel:

Yup, its a refined art to have the right word to go with the right wrench :D

I don't look in the mirror - they tend to break.

Posted by bindi&us - Today 09:59 AM
its a refined art to have the right word to go with the right wrench
One of the requirements for a master mechanic is to be able to complete a overhaul without repeating yourself.

-- Spiff

I was born the son of a mechanic. Spent my early life growing up in the garage. Worked for dad till I was 24 then went into a trade. Continued to work on my own and my children's cars. Also restored some antiques. I just finished installing front brakes and rotors on my Road Trek. I told my wife, I can't believe I used to do that for fun. Now when I look in the mirror I see TIRED!