How to tell if you broke the rules or not.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD GUMBEE

Reaction score
sitting on a river-bridge playing the banjo...
When you clearly break the rules here, you often get a warning or a PM from a mod.

When your post just vanishes without so much as a mention, it usually means what you posted made a longer-standing or more in-favor member "butt-hurt" (regardless of truth...or how relevant your post was to the topic) even if it did not break the rules.

If your politics differ greatly from one of the mods...increase censorship factor by about 5.
(I don't mean politics-politics, either. I mean people who choose to digest a post with prisms in their glasses, providing innuendo that was never there in the first place.)

(Thought I would clear that up for folks who might be wondering.)

if I catch you believe me I will let you know.

if it's a mass deletion I will post in the thread about deleting several posts and why. if it's just one post I will PM the person. I believe this is standard practice with all the MODS.

also politics aren't allowed one way or the other. I have deleted many posts I agree with but were political, again I am sure the other MODS have done the same.

what really gets me is the ones that want to argue either by PM or on the forum. after a while I don't care to even deal with them. take your medicine and drop it is the best thing you can do. when I first joined the forum I had several posts deleted. so what I broke the rules and the posts were deleted. live with it.

highdesertranger

...broken rules, I stand tall about...I have even apologized when emotion or medication has had an undue influence on what I typed.

That is not what I am talking about.

That said, HDR, this was NOT directed your way at all. I have no complaints with your interaction.

(I've kept track...and every single character stroke coming form my keyboard is logged and saved...as is my Internet history. If you would like to truly engage in making a study of what has been removed here...and what has been allowed to stand from others, I will be happy to share it with you. It truly speaks for itself.)

BTW HDR, does that post above yours follow forum rules??

Most of the time I and the other mods will send a PM if a rule has been broken however I get tired of sending PMs to chronic offenders especially if the member knows that they are pushing the limits so you may not always get a PM from me when I delete a post. Like Mike, I have deleted political posts even when I agreed with the posts. Any post even one made by a friend will be deleted if it breaks the rules. If a member sees a post that is breaking rules please report it.

Ditto what RVwandering and HDR said.

I'll also add that if I get an angry or rude PM in response to a deleted post I won't waste my time sending another.

Also, we are mere humans and subject to some degree of being incapable of true objectivity. Try as we might, perfection escapes us

Santa is no doubt going to leave coals in my stockings... ;)

But I am hoping he makes it charcoal instead so I can grill something with it.

I taught school for many years back when you could still paddle and abuse kids. I didn't like doing it much but never explained it to them either. Just picked up the paddle stood them up and did the deed. Sometimes they just didn't pay attention, sometimes they protested and then they got two licks and if they continued to protest they went to the office and were expelled from school. Most never protested after seeing what happened to those that did and only one or two went to the office. Some people just never learn to grow up and accept the fact life isn't always fair but my students did at an early age. I always remember the ones that gave me the most trouble as they are usually the ones that thanked me in later life, funny how that works. I enjoy your posts and comments hope you don't get sent to the office!

bullfrog, I get ya on that. Words don't mean anything anymore to people. No one truly listens anymore. The internet and the no consequences required to type whatever nasty ya want and say your nasty without direct effects. What?...ya get banned from a site? Might go down depending on the site. Doesn't matter to most cause things like twitter, insta, websites that allow it all are all out there to say whatever nasty you want at any given time. You can do it all with anonymity.

Old days you would do your peace and actual consequences came back at ya :) That is how people learn. Thru direct consequences to their actions.

weirdo times now. Someone gets attacked on the street you are worried to intervene cause hell you might be sued up the azz for trying to help. Or you get out of line in some way and swift horrible consequences can drop on your doorstep in a split second. And we wonder why society is breaking down to crap? HAHA

a lot of forums tho want to be a community. A shared community of people who learn from each other and 'want to kinda' know another thru their postings so being a butt hole and one to make waves won't go down, one could get the community smack down for sure LOL....I like that some forums DO MOD hard. Sometimes it is required if it wants to stay a safe community and not everyone fits every community, some gotta go :)----Hang'em High!

I see the value in the rules. Dragging politics and ideology into the arena only ruffles feathers and causes rancor and hard feelings that is utterly unnecessary since it has nothing to do with the topic of the forum.

Sadly, though, there is ALWAYS somebody who wants to preach at people, and want to cry about their martyrdom when they're not allowed to preach at people. It is tedious and tiresome.

I am happy that the mods do such a good job of ending it. It makes the forum a much better place.

thanks for bringing this up JD! i'm pretty new here so i haven't been making a fuss,
and just "getting a feel" for the community. so far all seems cool but i am concerned
a little about what i see regarding the "political posts" rule. i thanked a person's post
(on the prepper's thread) and then their post later disappeared. i didn't think that post
was overly political considering the topic but someone obviously disagreed. my point and
concern is that i think someone starts a thread that is by its very nature "political" but any
attempts to discuss the topic is then quashed and disallowed for being political? it kind of
allows the original topic to stand, but any attempt to subsequently "educate" the original
poster on a false premise they may have used isn't allowed.
this strikes a cord with me as my pet peeve is racism and racist beliefs, and those largely go
unnoticed and uncorrected as they are often very subtle (such as another thread where someone
mentioned the EEOC and a diss on unemployment insurance while making a point). i just don't
want to be in a position to "hold my peace" when something someone says is wrong and any
attempts to correct it is "political". i know it is a difficult and largely thankless task to be a moderator,
and for that reason i have never volunteered on ANY forum i have ever been on, but I DO want to
THANK all the moderators for the job they do!
jim

txmnjim said:
 my pet peeve is racism and racist beliefs
Racism is explicitly not welcome here. If you see any that bothers you, let the Mods know and they will take care of it.

txmnjim, are you sure you thanked a post in the prepper"s thread that got deleted. I checked the records and you thanked 2 posts in that thread and neither one got deleted. then I checked the ones that got deleted and you didn't thank any of them. so I am kinda at a loss there.

if you think a post is political report it. don't respond in a political way. if you have concerns that a topic is political or racist no matter how subtle please report it.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
txmnjim,  are you sure you thanked a post in the prepper"s thread that got deleted. I checked the records and you thanked 2 posts in that thread and neither one got deleted.  then I checked the ones that got deleted and you didn't thank any of them.  so I am kinda at a loss there.

if you think a post is political report it.  don't respond in a political way.  if you have concerns that a topic is political or racist no matter how subtle please report it.

highdesertranger
thank you sir for the clarification! i had mistakenly "thanked" the wrong poster!! and the one i thought i had thanked
by Lenny he must have deleted his on his own...this makes me feel MUCH better :)

lenny flank said:
I am happy that the mods do such a good job of ending it. It makes the forum a much better place.

I agree... the moderators here are great peacekeepers.

txmnjim said:
...someone starts a thread that is by its very nature "political" but any
attempts to discuss the topic is then quashed and disallowed for being political?

I just had that happen on a Facebook group I moderate. I let the original post stand because it was on-topic (firefighting is a community issue there) even though the article posted came from a political website . . .  but had to delete a lot of political comments that weren't on topic. (who to vote for is not an issue to discuss in this community group)

I agree, the moderators here do a very good job, giving selflessly to make this forum work as a valuable resource both now and later -- for those who search its archives for good and wise information.

As a vandweller type, I really don't like rules, rather principles are what I tend to think about when discussing desired behavior.  Yet, some really need rules, the black and white or right and wrong.  So, we have rules.  And, we also have plenty of posts in the rules section that talk more about principles.

One of my hardest calls as a moderator is when a post doesn't quite break a rule, but also doesn't clearly align with the stated principles of the forum.  These are posts that are right on the breaking-a-rule line, but don't obviously cross it.

Bob, I and one of our moderators were talking the other day about the forum and this issue.  I really appreciated the two simple principles that Bob indicated should guide all posts here: 1) The post should offer valuable information (even a "welcome to the forum" would fit this criteria), and 2) A post should leave the person to whom they are responding glad they came here.

That means that if you know your rhetoric is regularly misunderstood as negative or demeaning, it is incumbent upon you, the writer, to intentionally use language, words, and descriptors that overtly communicate respect, acceptance, positive intent, and an overall sense of a welcoming, inclusive community.

I want this forum to be a place where HOWA's clients not only find useful and correct information, but also where they find a community that gently, with caring words, guides them into a successful life of mobile living.

This forum is a unique and important resource in the nomad community.  You and your participation are what make it so valuable.  Thank you for being here and offering up your expertise, experience, and words of respect and inclusiveness.  Many are, and many will be beneficiaries of what you offer here.

Suanne said:
many will be beneficiaries of what you offer here.

Not from me any more.

As often happens here, instead of paying attention to what was said in the opener, someone strawmans the core topic and fights the windmill instead of the issue identified at the start...

Notice how the offer to review the situation, complete with web-history, was dropped like a hot potato, but all those explanatory posts strawmanned away??

Sorry you feel you have been mistreated on this forum. From what you have stated you feel some of your posts were deleted for reason but other"s posts that you feel should have been deleted were not? Did you report them? Did you contact the moderator with the reason you thought they should include your posts or delete the others? Some very valuable, well informed posters have left this forum in the past because they failed to understand or could not accept everyone's opinion is allowed to be stated here within the rules even if it is incorrect. The poster can be corrected and educated but not criticized or condescended for his post even if he fails to understand his mistake. Hope you are open minded enough to accept this and continue to post valuable information as you have in the past. Thank you for that and pointing out what a great forum and moderators we have here as this last post was tolerated by people that just like you have little tolerance for imperfection and negative attitudes.

A few years ago I had problems on this forum, just check my warning level! There are still threads and posts here that hit my buttons, I try very hard to not cause problems now. There are some folks and threads that it is just better for me to ignore and move on. That's my advice, fwiw.

Owl, you have a social credit score aka (also known as) reputation of 13.
I'm a lowly 11. I probably could not ride a bus in China with my score.

wayne49 said:
Owl, you have a social credit score aka (also known as) reputation of 13.
I'm a lowly 11. I probably could not ride a bus in China with my score.

Thank you for a great belly laugh!!!