How to See Behind Truck Camper to Safely Backup

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sundance

Reaction score
Do you folks have any suggestions for the best mirrors/backup camera/other tool to see behind my truck camper when I need to back up? Thanks!

Sundance said:
Do you folks have any suggestions for the best mirrors/backup camera/other tool to see behind my truck camper when I need to back up? Thanks!

Amazon has back-up cameras from about $30 on up. I would just read the reviews and find something in your budget.

get the correct mirrors. you need them to drive safely anyways. learn how to use them. most pickups have some type of towing mirror get them and use them. highdesertranger

if you rely on a back up camera, what do you do when it fails? not back up? people backed up for years without cameras, learn how to do it without a camera. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
if you rely on a back up camera,  what do you do when it fails?  not back up?  people backed up for years without cameras,  learn how to do it without a camera.  highdesertranger

Although I certainly agree with this, there are circumstances where a backup camera is beneficial. One should be able to back their truck up miles down a dead end road with no turn arounds, but in the city when things get tight, a camera can lessen the "oh shit, that is going to be expensive" moments. Driving by braille in the bush is no big deal, driving by braille in the Mercedes sales lot can be a costly proposition.

There are no mirrors that will show you the rear of your Truck Camper, none. Extended mirrors may show you what is 15 feet behind you but not what has moved into position close to your bumper, such as a kid on a bike. You can mount a convex mirror at the left corner of the rear of the camper and use that but it may still have blind spots.

I use the simple rule

Get
Out
And
Look

Or GOAL.

exactly get out and look. back up cameras have a place. but I don't like to rely on an electronic gizmo. highdesertranger

I'm actually better at backing up with my mirrors. Bought a new truck a few years back that came with one. Always took me a few tries relying on the camera. Switched back to using my mirrors and have been problem free ever since. It's handy when hooking up to my boat trailer though.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I am a fan of getting out and looking, but I've had far too many times when some idiots will get directly behind me when I've already backed halfway out of my spot. That's my main worry.

Sundance, I have been backing my Truck Camper since 2008, so far so good... no accidents! Cameras are nice but... technology fails.
My top recommendation, in parking lots, minimize backing up. I try to always park where I can pull out forward. This usually means you will need to park out farther in the parking lot but there are usually spots.
-AK

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned convex backup mirrors. They take some practice to use well...a truck I drive infrequently has one and I really have to stop and focus to process what I'm seeing...but like backing up trailers, I'm sure it becomes more natural.

21ZSIZ7INEL.jpg

97664-lr.jpg