How to make a the best steak ever- in a microwave!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow just watched my daughter do this a few days ago with an instapot pressure cooker. I like the fact you can precook up a bumch of steaks at once like this, then toos them in the microwave as needed. Perfect for me as I am often in a hurry.

Itripper said:
Wow just watched my daughter do this a few days ago with an instapot pressure cooker..

Interesting. How long under pressure? The instapot is so fast, I’ve no idea how steaks would do there. May have to try that— instapot will be easier on the road than sous vide— less power usage too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technomad said:
If you have a heat sealer, often sold for food preservation/freezing, those bags are pretty ideal. But my heat sealer is finicky.  

The ziplocks work ok for the sous vide part but not as well for the microwaving.

I’ll check out the “steam in” bags- thanks!

Finding a good bag solution is kinda the hardest part, but it might just be I cheaped out too much when I bought the vacuum sealer.

Vacuum sealer bags are pretty cheap on Amazon in bulk so maybe I just need a better sealer.

But, before I bought the Anova I did this method with ziplocks and a cooler to test it out and make sure the Anova would be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m a fan of vacuum seal bags for sous vide because they are heavier duty and because they don’t float. Also, sous vide is French for under pressure, and the vacuum does exert some pressure, (well, actually enables transfer of air and water pressure, I guess). Probably doesn’t make a huge difference, but I’m a purist. You can find 12 volt vacuum sealers designed for hunters. I’ve measured the power consumption of my sous vide, cooking a steak for an hour is only 2Ah.

That whole process of searing, then sous vide then more cooking time. That is way more time in the kitchen than just putting the steaks on to grill and getting done in minutes with one pan. Or better yet putting them outside on my charcoal grill.

It seems very silly to do this for van dwelling where I try to keep my fuel use under control as well as my food budget.

Of course in reality I don't even buy steak except once in very great while. I did buy one for my Christmas dinner a couple of years ago, it was on closeout sale, everyone else was buying Turkeys. My gain, their loss :)

When I have large amounts of food stored my gain seems to be around my waist line! LOL!!!

:D
Best microwave steak,
Drive to Outback, buy steak dinner to go, drive 3 minutes to local park. Plug in to park electric. Place to-go box in microwave for 4 min on medium to reheat. Remove, eat the best tasting steak evr right out of the microwave.
Note; dbl check, no potato wrapped in foil and remove butter and sour cream containers before zapping too.
Oh Ya...