How to make a the best steak ever- in a microwave!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technomad

Reaction score
Recently it’s been asserted that those who use microwaves “can’t cook. full stop”. I think this is silly and to prove it I’m going to share a gourmet recipe I’ve developed. It’s easy and produces a better steak than you get at a steakhouse!

1. Sear the steaks in very high heat just to get carmelization going. Don’t cook them. They can even be frozen. This can be done with an electric grill, a propane grill or over a campfire. No more than about a minute per steak, they should still be raw or frozen inside.

2. Seal the steaks with your choice of seasonings or rub or sauces in a plastic bag. If you add some cornstarch and dry seasonings the liquid produced by the steaks during cooking will turn into a gravy. Ziplock bags can work just get all the air out.

3. Cook the steaks for 45 minutes in a water bath at 135 degrees. This is known as sous vide. You can use a special souse vide cooler like the Anova that costs $150, but I’ve done it in a hard sided cooler using a mix of boiling water and cool water to get the temp up to the desired range. The result of this will be a perfect rare steak with pink top to bottom (since they weren’t over cooked like they are on a grill) - extremely tender and tasty. Go higher temperatures if you want more well done and are eating them right then. You can also leave them in the bath longer without risk of overcooking. 3 hours? No problem!

4. Take bags out and dry them off and immediately freeze them. They will now keep for weeks or months in the freezer. (Maybe let them reach room temperature first if you don’t want them to thaw other things in your freezer.)

5. Whenever ready to eat take a frozen steak and microwave it on high for 6 minutes. The result will be a perfect medium well steak!

This is very convenient— I’ve cooked 18 steaks at a time this way and whenever I want a steak, it’s just 6 minutes in the microwave and you get a better steak than you can get at a steak house for $50!

If you prefer your steaks a different way you can adjust the temperatures. If you want it more rare, let it thaw in refrigerator for 24 hours and microwave it for four minutes (though times will vary so first time out try microwaving for a minute at a time to get the level of fineness you want.

The Sous Vide cooking method produces better results than any other way to prepare a steak because the max temp is very low (compared to 500 degrees on a grill) while still being a safe cooking method.

The freeze / microwave cycle allows for great connivence, and is perfect for eating on the road.

Because the microwave will inevitably cook the steak a bit while heating it up, I use the lower temp in sous vide so the microwave just ends up bringing it to the perfect level of done.

I won’t say I’m agreat cook but this is a very efficient method, and almost foolproof.

Of course you can do similar things with vegetables and side dishes. Sous vide is a great method of cooking and I think very amenable to RV living.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful using zip lock type bags for cooking. They are not the right plastic. I use the microwave steam-in-bags that are a bit more expensive, but designed for heating. Also, Ziplock brand vacuum bags are listed for Sous Vide. You have to have the Ziplock hand operated vacuum pump.

If you have a heat sealer, often sold for food preservation/freezing, those bags are pretty ideal. But my heat sealer is finicky.

The ziplocks work ok for the sous vide part but not as well for the microwaving.

I’ll check out the “steam in” bags- thanks!

Finding a good bag solution is kinda the hardest part, but it might just be I cheaped out too much when I bought the vacuum sealer.

Vacuum sealer bags are pretty cheap on Amazon in bulk so maybe I just need a better sealer.

But, before I bought the Anova I did this method with ziplocks and a cooler to test it out and make sure the Anova would be worth it.

I used regular zip locks with my Anova all the time before I bought a good sealer. Just used the water displacement technique to get all the air out before sealing. Worked well but I prefer the vacuum bags I get on Amazon. I've had seal issues a couple of times so I just double heat seal everthing.

Sous Vide is my hands down favorite way to cook a steak. Comes out perfect everytime and just finish that puppy off in a smoking hot cast iron skillet or on the grill.

Thanks for making me hungry!

Although this sounds like a great way to cook steaks, the title is a bit misleading...

The steps involved include a grill, the hot water bath, a way to seal the bags, a freezer, THEN a microwave...

So...is it really foolproof? 

I dunno...you haven't seen my cast iron 'skillet skills'!

Step one: Observe the cold pan on the cold stovetop.

Step two: Open a can of skipjack tuna, squeeze in some garlic salt and mayo, eat it out of the can with a fork....now THAT's foolproof, and no microwave needed!

:p

texas0322 said:
Sous Vide is my hands down favorite way to cook a steak. Comes out perfect everytime and just finish that puppy off in a smoking hot cast iron skillet or on the grill.

Yes, that’s the standard way. My innovation is to sear the raw steak, so you can freeze them right out of the bath, and working out the timings so the microwave brings it to the perfect (for me) level of done.

tx2sturgis said:
Thanks for making me hungry!

Although this sounds like a great way to cook steaks, the title is a bit misleading...

The steps involved include a grill, the hot water bath, a way to seal the bags, a freezer, THEN a microwave...

So...is it really foolproof? 

Yeah I went for the click bait title, I couldn’t resist, but in my defense, the microwave does do half the cooking. If you like your steak rare you can eat them right out of the bath, I do that too.

As for foolproof, I think so. I got a good result the first time and had never seared a steak or done sous vide in my life. The above recipe is the result of a lot of experimentation to allow great food with industrial style cooking (eg 18 steaks at once!) and easy reheating for those who don’t like to cook every day.

I tend to make a couple weeks worth of food at a time, since cooking isn’t a whole lot of fun for me, but this makes it easy!

Technomad said:
Yes, that’s the standard way. My innovation is to sear the raw steak, so you can freeze them right out of the bath, and working out the timings so the microwave brings it to the perfect (for me) level of done.

It's an interesting idea. I'm gonna have to give it a shot just for the hell of it now lol

GeorgiePorgie said:
Sounds great, but way too much work/time for me. I use a microwave to avoid that. :s

Ok you want the faster method?

1. Put raw steak in ziploc bag, get rid of air. (Add seasonings, IF YOU HAVE THE TIME!)

2. Put bag with steak in water bath at 145 degrees for one hour.

You get that hour back because you can do whatever’s more important during it. Don’t have to pay attention to the steak at all as it cooks. With an Anova you just set the temperature and leave it be.

Total effort: 2 minutes

highdesertranger said:
doesn't a microwave make bread and meat tough(chewy/rubbery)?  highdesertranger

This was my thought, too.  I do agree sous vide is a great way to do steak and with the comment about getting the cooking time "back" because you don't really need to do anything.  

In any case, good job OP.  I'm glad you found a method that works well.

highdesertranger said:
doesn't a microwave make bread and meat tough(chewy/rubbery)? highdesertranger

No, in both cases if you use it to heat them up. Yes if you try to do a full cook with them. Bread can be heated from fridge temps with just a few seconds and ok results, the steaks as I mentioned come out ok with this timing— but microwaves vary, you just want to get them hot, not cook them further (though with steak bringing it up to a medium well temp will cook it some too.)

High, fast heat makes meat rubbery. I use to have a microwave with a temperature probe and multiple power settings that could cook a roast that would make your grandma cry it was so tender. The same probe could keep a water bath at 150 degrees just like cracking the lid on one of my solar ovens would.

You have to be the sharpest tool in your kitchen. Misuse the rest and the results are pitiful.

Has anyone used the torch method to sear meats to seal in juices?

And Goodwill said:
Has anyone used the torch method to sear meats to seal in juices?

Tried it once and set off the smoke alarm in my apartment something fierce - wasn’t smoke from the steaks, but was the byproducts if the torch that did it. Will be able to try it again when camping.... but it seemed like a lot of effort anyway.

I've tried the torch method few times. It works well. I prefer cast iron though.

Technomad,
I'm laughing! That was funny! :D  It works well, with good airflow. Also the right meat searing tip & butane torch.

texas0322 said:
I've tried the torch method few times. It works well. I prefer cast iron though.
Cast iron cooking is amazing. My foster mum taught me to use cast iron for cooking steaks & pour cornbread. Get it really hot first. Wow is it good. Sears meats very good. Love my cast iron skillets. Also cast iron Dutch oven down in campfires, the ones with the depression on lid for the coals.