How to find out if the RV park's wiring is good

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
I came across a good youtube video that talks about how to check out if the RV or camping parks wiring is done correctly. This is a video tutorial posted on youtube by an RV non profit organization. It goes through all the steps and all of the equipment you need. These are not overly expensive items and they are easy to find in a hardware store.

The title of the video is:  Three Electrical Testing Devices All RV Owners Should Have in Their Tool Kit
The youtube channel is: FMCA: Enhancing the RV Lifestyle
This is the link to the youtube video:  

The presenter also recommends the website noshockzone.org for further information on RV electrical.  That group does have a book available on RV electrical safety in print and in kindle format available on Amazon. I do not yet own the book so I can't write a review as to its quality but it has gotten good reviews on Amazon.   No~Shock~Zone RV Electrical Safety

I am no expert but certainly not afraid of doing my own electrical work. However as I want to be sure I get it right I do continue to add to my education and I like to share good resources when I find them. Now I know how to check the power post plugs at RV sites before I try to use them.

I wouldn't worry about it.Of all my years camping and staying in campgrounds,the only place I ever had a problem was at the $50000 Silver Dollar Bar campground in Haugan Mt.The problem I had there was many of the outlets were burned out.Since the camping was free,I didn't complain.

I am not in the least worried about it :)

I posted about it because other people were asking about this subject in a different thread. So I thought it would be good to have a DIY instructions resource in a better location of its own that was easier to find with a keyword search. When I see that kind of need for easy to access and understand information and I have the time to post such a thread then I take the time to do it for other people who will use the forum in the months and years to come. What I did not know how to check are the 50amp connections but that is because I don't have a 50 amp connection so I have never needed to know how to do it.

I have seen lots of pole/wiring problems but that was mainly because I'm around parks that were built in the 1960's and repairs were seldom done correctly. I was curious about the 50 amp plug testing in the video. Several parks simply added 50 amp receptacles in boxes that had previously only had 30 amp receptacles and using the single leg jumpered to both sides of the 50 amp from the 30 amp receptacle hot leg. I haven't seen any RV's that use 240 2 phase power and because of that the worst problems they have are overloading the circuits and tripping the main breakers. Most older RV's are 30 amps single phase and even the ones that are 50 amp wire them as two single phase 120 volt circuits. Was he concerned about "browning out" (lack of power) to things like ACs when he recommended never to plug up to a 50 amp receptacle wired this way? He never explained his reasoning and I have seen many parks this way which I have used many years with my motorhome that has a 50 amp plug as well as a 30 amp adaptor for the 50 amp plug just in case. I was always careful not to run both ACs or microwave while doing so to prevent the breaker from tripping. I have seen people with high dollar protection burn them up in this situation which never made sense to me as I've had few problems as long as both 30 amp and 50 amp receptacles were not used at the same time.