How to cut 45 degree angle without chop saw?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PattySprinter

Reaction score
Preparing for my van build - how do I cut a 45 degree angle without chop saw?
I see plastic miter boxes - and old metal Stanley ones on eBay seem to sell ... with no chop saw - is that how you all (if you have) cut your 45 degree angles - or is there an easier (cheaper) way????
:huh:
I have (ordered) a circular saw, sawzall and jigsaw - Thanks!

i just use a plastic miter box and a hand saw
what are you cutting?  too big for the box/saw?

Many circular saws and jigsaws have bases that adjust 45 degrees. If the ones you bought won't do that, you could freehand it with the sawzall. How precise does it need to be and how many cuts do you have to make?

My real answer is I don't often need to cut at angles.

If you are cutting '1 by' or trim then a miterbox will work ok. Its a bit of effort but you can do it.

Cutting 2x4 or 2x6 is a bit more work than you might want.

Buy a couple of c-clamps to clamp the miter box to a bench or table, unless it has the built-in clamps, and also, be sure to buy a pair of good work gloves and goggles for using the power tools.

Also, a small plastic carpenters triangle (and carpenters wood pencils) is very handy for marking the trim and boards before cutting.

mayble said:
i just use a plastic miter box and a hand saw
what are you cutting?  too big for the box/saw?

Not cutting anything yet - just gathering stuff for when I start.
I want to build something to store stuff in and a kitchen counter-cabinet.

I have antique cabinets and stuff ... that if tweaked, I could repurpose ... but they are hard wood and so heavy. 
I might just use them - haven't decided.

I am going to try to use the Ikea Ottoman- bed I already own for a bed. It is so comfortable and sturdy.
I could build a shallow storage box for under it that opens up and extends with slats.

Reducto said:
Many circular saws and jigsaws have bases that adjust 45 degrees. If the ones you bought won't do that, you could freehand it with the sawzall. How precise does it need to be and how many cuts do you have to make?

My real answer is I don't often need to cut at angles.

Thanks - at least the sawzall will have some use! 
I just want to make some simple, basic cabinets to safely store stuff in and a kitchen cabinet for prep ect.

What circular saw did you oder?(model#)

I have inexpensive Ryobi tools and my circular saw let's me adjust to cut angles. Hopefully yours does to.

PattySprinter said:
Thanks - at least the sawzall will have some use! 
I just want to make some simple, basic cabinets to safely store stuff in and a kitchen cabinet for prep ect.

Sawzalls are a bit of overkill for cutting precise angles in the smaller wood sizes.

They tend to cut fast and rough, and will splinter the wood in a hurry.

If you will be doing a LOT of angle cuts, you can buy a light duty decent miter saw at Harbor Freight for under $100.
If you print out a coupon you can sometimes get 20% off.

https://www.harborfreight.com/power...-miter-saw-with-laser-guide-system-61973.html

After you are done with it, you could sell it on craigslist for $50...or donate it to a friend or family member.

Wabbit said:
What circular saw did you oder?(model#)

I have inexpensive Ryobi tools and my circular saw let's me adjust to cut angles. Hopefully yours does to.

I was just trying to google if mine cuts at 45 degree angle. 
It is an M8 Milwaukee 2630-80.
(6 1/2 inch)

Speedsquare is a word I didnt use since I wasnt sure if she would be familiar but that is what I was referring to...

You can buy them at any local hardware store also.

VERY handy tool when cutting 1by and 2by woods. Like HDR says, a 'must'...

I buy the bright orange or yellow, much easier to find when you misplace it...and you WILL misplace it!

:p

x3 on the speed square.
Even when building cabinetry I rarely need to cut miters- usually only with profiled mouldings. There are easier and much stronger ways to make most joints.
A cheap plastic or wood miter box and fine tooth (10-12 tpi) crosscut saw should handle any trim moulding in a van build.

If we are talking about the same 45° angle, I read this in the specs.

... 2-1/8" at 90 Degrees, 1-5/8" at 45 Degrees. ...

So you could cut a 2x4 at 45°. The 2" side, not the 4". A 2x4 is more like a 1.5" x 3.5", if that makes sense.

Wabbit said:
If we are talking about the same 45° angle, I read this in the specs.

...   2-1/8" at 90 Degrees, 1-5/8" at 45 Degrees.  ...

So you could cut a 2x4 at 45°. The 2" side, not the 4". A 2x4 is more like a 1.5" x 3.5", if that makes sense.

Thank you Wabbit - I did not see that in the specs - great news!!

I am not sure what you are referring to Wabbit can you give us some more info. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I am not sure what you are referring to Wabbit can you give us some more info. highdesertranger

tx2sturgis said:
HDR:

Depth of cut for a circular saw on 90 and 45 degree cuts into a 2x4.

Does that answer it HDR?

ok I see now. frankly I never measure with a tape. I just set the saw against whatever I am cutting and set the depth by sight. highdesertranger