Cheap, Easy, DIY raised roof.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanoT

Reaction score
I have no pics of this build because I did it decades ago to a Ford Econoline van, so here is a brief description of how to DIY raised roof for a cargo van.

You are essentially building a box but the key is to NOT build the box on the ground but instead construct it by attaching piece by piece to the van as you go. This will eliminate any fitment problems.

A sabre saw with a metal blade cuts through the original metal roof very easily. Leave a "collar" measured about 5 or 6" in from the rain gutter.

Cut a 2x4 at 45* angle lengthwise. The length of this piece is equal to the distance from just behind the front seats to the back of the roof. The 2 "rail" pieces, when placed in the rain gutter on the "roof collar" should sit so that the cut face is sitting at 90*. The rails are then cut into three pieces for each side. The rail pieces are then bolted to the roof collar leaving a 1/2" gap space between them to accommodate 2 cross ribs, cut from 1/2" plywood.

The end pieces of the roof box are cut from 1/2" plywood and are tied together along with the ribs using 1x2" strapping. Notches are cut in end pieces and ribs to make the strapping flush. One strapping on the edge where the side wall will meet the ceiling on each side, 2 more equal spaced running down the roof box ceiling and one on each roof box sidewall.

1/8" thick light weight paneling is then glued and screwed to the plywood and strapping frame, creating a closed in box.

Next place fibreglass cloth on the box roof and staple fibreglass cloth to the box sides. Mix up epoxy resin and saturate the cloth using a paint brush. I did several coats but only sanded a bit to rough the surface between coats. Lots of runs on the sides of the box but I was not after a smooth finish.

A wedge shaped addition to the front of the box can be built for improved aerodynamics with a whole cut through the front 1/2" panel for extra storage.

The raised roof should be painted to offer UV protection to the fibreglass finish.

Man, it would have been great to see some pics of this - or drawings of the frame.

Thanks for the post though.

My build video:

John61CT said:
Yes, would pay for decent annotated drawings.

There are no pics or drawings, just the description in my original post. I built the thing over 45 years ago and then another one on a friends van a few years later. My post is from old memories so other than my original post, you are on your own, but it is not hard to build one as I am no carpenter and I had no pics or drawings or instructions, just a design that I came up with in my own head.

One more thing that I can add. The front and back solid plywood panels were screwed into pieces of 2x2 that were first bolted to the front and back roof collar. Bolting the front and back 2x2 and side rail lengthwise cut 2x4 to the roof collar are what attached the raised roof firmly and securely to the roof collar. The fibreglass cloth and resin are what give the box strength and rigidity.

I said that because the way my brain works I could not visualize the build details you've laid out, much less follow then in practice.

Maybe if someone with more of that sort of intelligence can follow them,

I'm not criticizing you at all here OP!

I would be willing to make a sketch,

freehand on a napkin would be fine,

and post it, I'd be happy to send a tip or donate to their charity of choice. . .

Yes, I appreciate the write up very much. Just knowing that someone has done it, and says that it's not that hard to make is good info.

I'm more visual, so although the. Can draw pretty good, I don't know if I could get the info into my brain clearly enough to then draw it, sadly.

My build video:

"Easy" depends on one's basic carpentry skills.