How to cook frozen chicken pot pie on stovetop?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magentawave

Reaction score
Trader Joe’s sells really tasty frozen chicken pot pies but now that I’m on the road I don’t have an oven to cook them in. (I don’t have room for a toaster oven or microwave.) I was wondering if a small stove top dutch oven like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08769Q4BZ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_4SDQRF0RBPWJPFBV2CJY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 would work?

Space is at a minimum in my Sienna so I’m not stuck on the idea of a dutch oven and am open to all suggestions, please.

Here are the cooking instructions from the box…
B070C408-BA76-4F02-86A3-8BB1FA1FCC03.jpeg

Attachments

• B070C408-BA76-4F02-86A3-8BB1FA1FCC03.jpeg
    B070C408-BA76-4F02-86A3-8BB1FA1FCC03.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 77
I have a cast iron combo, (deep fryer with a round griddle for lid). I have a trivet I put inside. Warm up bottom and top pan, put food item on the trivet the put lid on turn off heat. I reheat every 15 minutes or so. This method means paying attention to the meal but I have cooked pot pies as well as frozen burritos and even corn dogs.

Questions:  Are you heating the top and bottom (fryer and griddle) separately?  Is the trivet also cast iron?  When you reheat, are you removing the lid and reheating it separately, or reheating with the lid on?

This seems like a pretty good method, since top and bottom heat are important, and elevating the food from the bottom of the pan would help prevent burning on the bottom.

I don't believe the stove top dutch oven would be nearly as good as what you describe.

Signed... Another pot pie lover.

For a Dutch Oven to be used as an oven you need heat from the top. That's why you put coals on the lid. However since your frozen pot pie is already cooked then i might work.

Here's how I would try it.

1. defrost the pie
2. place a trivet in the Dutch oven
3. place the pie in and the lid on
4. turn the heat on low

This should work as you are only heating it up. You need to make sure you get to the recommend safe temp of the pie.

Highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
For a Dutch Oven to be used as an oven you need heat from the top...
Agreed, which is why I asked whether the lid (in this case a griddle) is being heated separately--say on a second burner.  If good and hot, it might retain enough heat to do a better job than with just bottom heat.  I might try this with my baby dutch oven, heating the lid separately.  It has legs, so not great for stove top.  Still...  Inquiring minds...

The Cast Iron Dutch Ovens are quite handy.  Those "Camp" DO's have 3 legs under them where the home DO's do not.  The Home DO's are often enameled. (I wouldn't use one in a campfire although I've heard of people doing it)

You can find them used and LODGE makes good ones in Tennessee.  I own 4 of them in various sizes. I've baked 10 inch frozen pies in mine in the camp fire. (after they were thawed)

This link might get you started.  I've read where the Lewis & Clark Expedition told Thomas Jefferson the DO's they took with them were their most valuable possession when they got back home.

Dutch Oven Cooking 101

I've had a little success with scrunching up some aluminum foil in the bottom of an ordinary pot (with a lid) so the item I want to "bake" isn't directly on the pot bottom. It functions like a trivet would.

With something like a pot pie I'd let it thaw first.

Have you considered getting a moveable stovetop Omnia oven, made in Sweden? It is much lighter, less bulky & more storable than a Dutch oven. It has a hole in the middle for even heating & resembles a bundt pan. For best results, the pot pie would need to thaw before heating. The pie would needd cutting into sections to fit in the Omnia. And purchase of the Omnia's optional silicone liner helps greatly with cleanup and non-stick cooking.

I haven't tried it to be honest, but if you thaw it first you, could probably "fry" it in a frying pan, covered, in low heat, and turning it so it is crispy both sides.
That's what I'd do anyway, sort of like a flapjack.

Sofisintown said:
I haven't tried it to be honest, but if you thaw it first you, could probably "fry" it in a frying pan, covered, in low heat, and turning it so it is crispy both sides.

That's how I heat frozen burritos. Of course, the difference it that the tortillas are already cooked whereas pot pie crust isn't.

How I myself would do that is thaw the pie. Dump it top side down into a small but deep skillet or sauce pan to brown the top. Remove the paper bowl. Set the pie bottom side down in the pan. Put a lid on the skillet with the heat turned down and let it heat all the way through. Put it in a bowl. it does not much matter if it falls apart during the cooking process, it will still taste the same.
Nomadic life requires compromises when you don't have a kichen full of appliances. Don't sweat the small stuff such as not having a perfect looking pot pie crust. As long as it is cooked through and not burned it works for dinner.

maki2 said:
How I myself would do that is thaw the pie. Dump it top side down into a small but deep skillet or sauce pan...

I know that for some people eating a pot pie in its original shape is a big part of the pot pie experience. I'm not one of them. A broken up pot pie tastes the same. So thawing it, opening the crust, removing the filling, cooking the crust, then heating the filling would be fine with me.

I had never heard the word trivet before so had to look it up!

You have given me some ideas. (I swear, this is the best forum thanks to you guys.) Space is at a premium in this Sienna so I might try what I already (mostly) have first…

I cook on a mini single burner alcohol camping stove (it stores inside a pan) and already have a stainless steel pot that is 4” tall inside and has an inside diameter of 6.5”. I just ordered this trivet: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076S381GS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_HJRGZ1889JND1NVJX5GH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The trivet and Trader Joe’s chicken pot pie will both fit in the pot. I know alcohol isn’t very hot but what do you think about that set up for heating up a frozen chicken pot pie?

maki2 said:
How I myself would do that is thaw the pie. Dump it top side down into a small but deep skillet or sauce pan to brown the top. Remove the paper bowl. Set the pie bottom side down in the pan. Put a lid on the skillet with the heat turned down and let it heat all the way through. Put it in a bowl. it does not much matter if it falls apart during the cooking process, it will still taste the same.
Nomadic life requires compromises when you don't have a kichen full of appliances. Don't sweat the small stuff such as not having a perfect looking pot pie crust. As long as it is cooked through and not burned it works for dinner.

MrNoodly said:
I know that for some people eating a pot pie in its original shape is a big part of the pot pie experience. I'm not one of them. A broken up pot pie tastes the same. So thawing it, opening the crust, removing the filling, cooking the crust, then heating the filling would be fine with me.

I didn’t see these two replies until just now. Of course! Why didn’t I think of that before? Duh. So simple! I don’t care what it looks like either because the first thing I do with a pot pie after cooking it is to chop it up.

So there is this thingy called a Bake Packer. Here is a video. Basically you boil water and the grill transfers heat to a baking bag. To stave off the non convinced this is way hotter than boiling/steaming. Water boils at 212 degrees and this thing can hit 250 or more easy. I've used it to bake bread.

Treknik said:
So there is this thingy called a Bake Packer....

Hmmm, looks interesting. I did a google search and it looks like the trick is finding someone who has them in stock.

"I know that for some people eating a pot pie in its original shape is a big part of the pot pie experience. I'm not one of them. A broken up pot pie tastes the same. So thawing it, opening the crust, removing the filling, cooking the crust, then heating the filling would be fine with me."+

Well, that is just flat out funny. No, really, not judging. Laugh
out loud funny. Thanks. "...Pot pie experience" just clasic!

I still remember the "meat pies" I used to get when I went across the border to Canada as a kid! So yes I can understand the "pot pie experience".