How to cook frozen chicken pot pie on stovetop?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, even that link doesn't actually sell you anything. I'm not going to attempt to post a link again but there are DIY links to wanna be Bake Packers that you can make on your own.

You guys are all going to hate me for this. I am a Pennsylvania German we invented pot pie. Please understand there’s a difference between a chicken pie and chicken pot pie. A chicken pie is made in a pie pan a pot pie is made in a pot. There Is no crust on a real pot pie. There are sloppy slimy rolled out noodles cooked in the pot in place of a crust ergo POT pie. Look up Pennsylvania German pot pie and you’ll see what I mean it’s a local delicious dish, we love it.you can make it with chicken, beef, ham, some people have even used Lebanon bologna.

Now if you want to make a chicken pie or a beef pie or a sausage pie start like you do with a fruit pie with crust on the bottom and top. But when you replace the “crust” with “noodles” Cooked in the pot with the chicken potatoes carrots or whatever if you want to put with, it then you have a pot pie. I have a friend who gets very angry at me when I tell her this but there is a difference between a meat pie and a pot pie. So now I’ve stirred it up so get angry at me go ahead, see if I care. LOL

I have used a cast iron dutch oven sitting on the Coleman camp stove as the heat source to make things that required an oven. I put a trivet in the pot, what I was cooking on top of that, put the lid on and went for it.
You do have to pay attention while you're cooking it.

I have eaten “chicken pie” in the Deep South that is very much like what nature lover describes, and it was as delicious as anything I have ever eaten.

I even made it once, and my family loved it.

However, that’s not why we’re here.

I think that upending a frozen pot pie into a skillet over moderate heat, covering it and then flipping to cook the other side sounds like the simplest and most effective way to cook the item mentioned with limited equipment.

It might be a bit messy when done, but put it into a bowl and it will be fine.

Went to Australia once. Hooked up with some office workers for a night out. They insisted we go to a Meat Pie vendor and get one with "The Works". The only other weird thing I remember is ordering a hamburger with everything. It came with a giant 1/4 inch thick red beet in it.

After it finishes cooking, does it need to look restaurant-quality calendar-level cover-art?
If I was me, I might set a commercial pie in a cast-iron skillet, using a second skillet as cover.
Occasionally, I might invert the two as a unit in hopes of even cooking.
If I play my cards right, the final inversion has the pie right-side up for a pleasant presentation.
Finish with a torch for a nice browning...
... and lovely aroma.
Irregardless, down the hatch.
You got me imagineering.
How about a baked (aka 'fully-baked', 'completely-baked') flaky hemp-flour crust in a small cast-iron skillet?
(I use fine-diced frozen lard for the flavor and melt-hollows.)
Stew a nice gravy with vegetables and tiny meat-chunks, dump in, top with another baked crust, brush with egg to glaze.
I see six- and seven-inchers at second-hand stores, but passed because I prefer cooking big meals with plenty of left-overs.
How about a baked (aka 'fully-baked') cauliflower pizza crust, still warm and soft, pressed into a cast-iron skillet?
The usual stew dumped in, Dutch-ovened, served open-face (aka 'nekkid').
How about on a Baja beach after a successful SCUBA hunt.
Marinate some shark chunks in the local rum, wrap in pizza dough, set in a cage over coals, rotate frequently for an even crunch.
Yeah.
I could see that.

Much easier to make a Shepard's pie on a stovetop. Uses the same type of filling which is easy enough to cook on the stovetop. Then top it with mashed potatoes which you have already cooked.

If you have an air fryer you can cook a small pot pie in some of those units.

We just use a skillet w a lid, heavy duty aluminum foil, butter or pan spray and a 16 oz marie calender pie.
Let the pie thaw out a bit (saves fuel). Grease up a largish sheet of foil. Unpan and put the pie in the foil, fold the foil over it. Apply pressure to flatten the pie about half way. Roll the edges of the foil to stop it leaking. Low heat. Put a lid on. 20 to 25 minutes (flip it) each side. Crust comes out nice and brown and no mess to clean up.

If you buy an Omnia stove top oven, same process, just cut the half thawed pie in half.

We love our Omnia. Well worth the money and savings on fuel and storage space. Although i did end up gaining 20 lbs on a banana bread baking binge. Get the extra liners and you can bake all day on cold days while heating your home.