How to clean box van floors

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sephiro499

Reaction score
I just bought a 12ft box van.  The floors have some stains, and definitely some funk when you first open the roll up door.  I'd like to know how to clean this wood -products to use etc.  Thought about replacing the wood but that might be more work then it is worth.  Should I use a de-greaser or a cleaner specifically designed for wood?  Do I use water? Like the wood cleaners are for wood floors or laminated flooring, I don't even know what type of wood this is. I assume an engineered wood product of some kind.

take it to a truck wash. they clean out semi trailers with the same wood decking all the time after nasty loads. and the trailers need to be clean and odor free before there next pickup.

if there not real bad a scrub brush degreser and a garden hose should clean you up pretty good. any remaining odor sprinkle a can of coffee grounds on the floor an close it up for a while and then sweep it out. odoban is good for getting rid of foul smells as well.

Just degrease, then paint with porch paint if you just want pretty.

Or spend on a super-durable epoxy paint, but check into off-gassing.

TY for the replies. I'm going to get a few bottles of zep at homedepot and a big scrub brush then hose it down after scrubbing.

I'd rent a steam pressure washer for an hour and scrub it with a stiff broom with Tide powder detergent. Just don't have the pressure washer on too much of a concentrated beam or it will rip up the wood. After it dries completely I would coat/paint or cover it with some kind of flooring.

After cleaning, I would paint it with a sealing primer like Kilz or BIN. That stuff is great and seals everything from bleed through and keeps odors from permeating.

Personally, I would not use water on un-treated plywood, if that is what it is.

But if you do use water, (pressure washer, truck wash, etc) then be SURE to place a big box fan or blower in there (doors open) afterwards to speed up the drying process. Let it run as long as it takes to dry up every bit of moisture. 

I suggest a fine bristle wire wheel on a small power drill or angle grinder, use a light touch, and just work enough of the surface to get it clear of the embedded grease stains, since any paint or coating wont stick to the stained areas very well. Angle it, and try not to 'gouge' the surface. Another option would be to use a belt sander and a finishing sander in the corners. 

Be sure to wear a mask and eye protection!

Then coat with a good shop or garage oil-based floor paint. I added Tread-Tex traction beads to mine for traction, but a smooth surface might be your preference. You can sometimes find anti-skid floor paint ready-to-use in larger home centers.

You can buy latex floor paint (water clean-up) or epoxy floor paint (expensive!)....either will work, but the oil-based is a good compromise.

Artsyguy said:
After cleaning, I would paint it with a sealing primer like Kilz or BIN.

Then paint it with epoxy garage floor paint. (You don't really need the speckles.)

White vinegar and warm water.
Let it soak for a while and rinse and repeat until the stains and smells are gone.
If it's really bad TSP. For decks work's but it costs quite a bit more.
Good luck with your new vehicle.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

a couple of things,

as tripper mentioned powdered Tide works wonders. if you use TSP get the real stuff the substitute is marginal at best.

on the sealing primer the latex stuff doesn't work that well. get the original Kilz oil based. it works ten times better, and can be over coated with latex.

highdesertranger

I like the idea of Tide Powder, that way I can use the rest to clean my clothes. So a bucket, warm water, a scrub brush, and tide powder? Then I will dry with a rag, towel, or some old tshirts.

It's plywood, its well used and delaminating from moisture/water/whatever.
I'd either replace it or seal it as is. Adding water and any cleaner will give you that feel good, aww it's so clean feeling but your just adding to the rotting problem.

Use a VOC, Non toxic wood sealer, top and bottom. Then put your flooring over that.

Just my ol 2¢

Matlock said:
It's plywood, its well used and delaminating from moisture/water/whatever.
I'd either replace it or seal it as is. Adding water and any cleaner will give you that feel good, aww it's so clean feeling but your just adding to the rotting problem.

Use a VOC, Non toxic wood sealer, top and bottom. Then put your flooring over that.

Just my ol 2¢

You were right.  Even light scrubbing and the wood starts to degrade.  If I replace the wood do I (or should I) use the existing screws?  I was thinking of getting 3 8ft plywood sheets and take off the existing 3 panels and trace the pattern onto the new wood.  I can also label the existing screws holes into the new wood (they are a weird star bit).  I have zero experience doing this and no real handyman experience.

There is also some sort of caulk or caulk-like material inbetween the box itself and the wood flooring.  If I replace the wood I take it this would also need to be replaced as well.  

I am thinking that my main 3 tools should be:  jigsaw, circular saw, drill?  Bob recommends ryobi from home depot and I think that is what I would go with.

After scrubbing clean and allowing time to dry. Coat of modified epoxy floor paint. After that dies, just put plywood over the existing floor. It gets to be a bear to remove and replace factory floors.

Says the guy with Weight as a handle 8-D

eponysterical!

Weight said:
After scrubbing clean and allowing time to dry. Coat of modified epoxy floor paint. After that dies, just put plywood over the existing floor. It gets to be a bear to remove and replace factory floors.

Ok thank you for that.  If the experienced people are saying it is a bear, than it's probably something I should not attempt.