How do you get rid of a third-row bench seat?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
I've had no luck selling my Expedition's third-row bench seat so far, and since I have no room to store it, sooner or later I'm just gonna have to chuck the thing -- but where, and how? All the local junk dealers are like those pick-a-part places that are only interested in entire cars. The city comes and takes away oversized items like this from my apartment complex, but only once every few months....

Any ideas? Would prefer not to engage in illegal dumping....

are you saying a junk yard will not take it? seems odd especially if you were just giving it to them. there should be junk yards that specialize in truck/SUV parts if they don't want it I would be surprised. highdesertranger

Maybe a curb alert in the Free section on Craigs list,  upholstery shop that does car seats, paint and body shop that does auto repairs, ask at some parts places .......Auto Zone etc. if they know some one that could use it.  Just some ideas.

At some point I'll need to get rid of 2 high back capatins seats with attached seat belts and maybe the rear bed/bench seat also, all in good shape.  Good luck with yours.  You know if we were looking for these seats we would have trouble finding them and they'd cost a small fortune if we did.

Jewellann

Unfortunately, too many people solve that problem by driving out into the boonies and tossing it.

Txjaybird said:
Maybe a curb alert in the Free section on Craigs list,  upholstery shop that does car seats, paint and body shop that does auto repairs, ask at some parts places .......Auto Zone etc. if they know some one that could use it.  Just some ideas.

At some point I'll need to get rid of 2 high back capatins seats with attached seat belts and maybe the rear bed/bench seat also, all in good shape.  Good luck with yours.  You know if we were looking for these seats we would have trouble finding them and they'd cost a small fortune if we did.

Jewellann

I wonder if your seats will fit my seat base?

I have twice now been going to a transfer station(dump kinda) and saw a yard sale sign and a flea market sign. Stopped in and asked if they wanted what I had, both times they took it all. So Craigslist is good idea. I didn't want anything in return other than not see it go into a landfill.

Ok, so you take out all the bolts, lift the back hatch and gun it. If the seat is still there when you look back, you did it wrong. ;)

Stop trying to sell it, and advertise it for free on Craigslist?

Well, it's starting to become clear to me that nobody in the Craigslist universe wants this thing, for any price. Goodwill won't take it either. Austin Resource Recovery won't be stopping by my complex for another couple of months. Disposing of it at a dump station will actually COST me a significant fee, I believe.

I would still prefer not to engage in illegal dumping -- but I'm running out of options here! I just confirmed that I'm moving to another city, and I'd like to take advantage of all that cargo capacity, so I really need to get it out of there within the next 6 weeks or so....

ganchan said:
All the local junk dealers are like those pick-a-part places that are only interested in entire cars. 

Any ideas? Would prefer not to engage in illegal dumping....

Take it to the junk/salvage yard after they close and leave it at their gate.   :D  They'll take it the next morning and sell it.  Provided it's in usable shape. 
At the very least, if they can't sell it whole, they'll crush it, along with a bunch of cars, and sell it for scrap in bulk.

Cut off the cover and remove the stuffing, put both in a garbage bag, and drop the metal off at a recycling place?