How do you deal with ANGER !

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEAUX- PRIUS Cowboy

Geauxfrugal
Reaction score
I don't want to talk about what others do that is their thing. Personally I like to get out my favorite music something nice soothing and so passionate that you have no choice but to appreciate the musical genius of the great composers. I like to go for a ride enjoy a cigar then I pop into the gym give it a good 30 min walk leave it all there in sweat and positive action. I also will take my time in returning fire when it feels somebody is so one sided you wonder if you are being trolled.  But for me walking has always been a good way to deal with things that get under your skin. I do my best not to try and get under their skin and if somebody dislikes something I said I do my best to find out why it is best I don't do that again? Some subjects are just best to be shared and left there. A true friend will slap you they will say something that will get you to correct something before it becomes something that will be a stabbing bleeding wound. Some people I have to completely avoid like those that are bipolar and will attack you without provocation those people may have righteous mental issues but I can't handle that stuff how do they say it in the military? Beyond my pay grade well I just am not equipped to face that sort of finely crushed logic.

Yup you guessed it I am due for a good walk see you at the gym GO GO CLASSICAL MUSIC ! I use to do heavy metal but that would get you a ticket if you were angry so I have learned to soften it a bit and enjoy the softer tones hoping it will induce a softer heart.

Walking is great for dealing with anger. Music too. I also enjoy arguing about economic theory on the internet. You cant argue well if you are angry so there is something about crafting well formed logical arguments that calms me down.

I got in the car and I located an old BB King CD after I found the Classical was not working did the trick. Love his joyful voice and funny story lines in his songs. Did my 30 min walk watched some YT videos then went to the Wally world got some things and crept back home. I say creep becasue I will do the speed limit if there is somebody behind me but if it all the same to you I like going 25-30 windows down listening to what is going on. As long as the heelots leave me be I enjoy that sort of drive. That PLNT gym membership is a treasure I really enjoy their facility Saturday it is usually full of teens. They over flow from the bowling alley and movie theater in the same parking lot. Gladly they are not looking for trouble as long as they mind their business I mind mine. Walking is the best thing for a type 2 diabetic. Does not help that I have a dead or dying bone in my hip but right now I can manage. That pain does help my body to start putting out endorphin I get pretty high that way but I don't want to see the day where that is going to be a larger issue. Thanks for the reply I am here to make friends kind of like at the RTR I wish I could have stayed till the end but my daughter went under the knife and I was not going to stay in AZ worry knowing I was needed to get her to appts after. Maybe next year I will actually get to stay long enough to have to do laundry.

Well, up here in Canada..[video=youtube]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Fd7a51P8o[/video] ..Willy.

Willy said:
Well, up here in Canada.. 
Strange you should say that. I knew a guy that was playing the role of JODY you remember him? Well he was over at the girls place and her old man came home figured he was going to be slick and use a chainsaw to cut into the door and the house and scare the hell out his cheating girls and JODY BOY? One problem when the guy came into the bed room with that chain saw JODY or Dennis shot the guy dead and walked becasue he felt his life was threatened. No trial TRUE STORY. He was never right his parents died in a plane crash he watched the plane crash. Made Dennis a very wealthy young man but he was never all there.

I don't get very angry often. But if I do, I am a force to be reckoned with. It takes a long time for it to build up to critical mass. Every couple of years I go off. I have a wicked tongue. And more than thrice I have posted multiple 8"x11" lists all over the wall to show why I'm pissed off. And once, I poured water over my husband's head with a water bottle. I do feel a tiny bit guilty about that.

I'm not going to go into great detail, but back in the early 80s, I was very, very, very, angry and at that time, I thought I was justifiably angry. I'll just say that it was a blast to do real, live bumper cars. How many times have you ever just wanted to ram someone else's car? Bam! Back up, Bam!, Back up, Bam! Back up, Bam! Oops, car won't back up any more. So sad. I felt he deserved it, and to this day, it is one of my more satisfying memories. I'll just blame it on being 22, but there was really no excuse. I've never had any legal issues. I should have had some with that one. I was extremely lucky because I was the right color, young, pretty, and in a higher socio-economic status. Girls like me just didn't get into trouble back then.

Like I said, it's not often that I become angry and by the time I get there, my kids or my significant other know that they went too far. "You don't want to piss Mom off", my sons and husband say. I'm fair and I'm tolerant, but they really don't want to push me to my breaking point.

Now, with non -family members, they generally don't know how angry I've become. Unlike my family members, where there is no doubt who did what, when, I always try ascribe the to my non family membersobjectionable behavior to some other factor: "Her sister got cancer", "Perhaps someone else just mistreated her and shit rolls downhill" ,"Maybe his wife just dumped him","Her husband lost his job". By the time I run through all kinds of possibilities, I've usually gotten over it. I'm not a pushover, though. Things usually get fixed one way or the other, usually sooner than later.
Ted

WalkaboutTed said:
..... back in the early 80s.....

{snip}

....Bam! Back up, Bam!, Back up, Bam! Back up, Bam!  Oops, car won't back up any more. So sad.  I felt he deserved it....

{snip}

I was the right color, young, pretty, and in a higher socio-economic status. Girls like me just didn't get into trouble back then.

Hey, I think we dated!

Don't worry about it though, the K5 Blazer was eventually traded off...

:p

I very rarely get angry; annoyed or irritated is far more common, though most people are unaware of it at the time. On the very rare occasions when I get genuinely angry I don't get violent, but I scare the hell out of people, largely because they are not used to seeing me that way. Other than family, I can count the people who have seen me angry in my adult life on one hand.

That said, anger is an emotion that I cannot sustain. It simply takes too much energy to stay angry. I generally set the anger aside and vent on some poor, defenseless, inanimate object when the opportunity presents itself.

Anger is a valid emotion but always has a use-by date before it becomes toxic to you. Any behaviour that interrupts the triangle of emotion/thought/behaviour (Cognitive Behaviour Theory basics) usually works. Music, very loud, that gets the foot tapping, works for me. Exercise also works for me when loud music would be inappropriate.

I use my anger to make change in the world. It bolsters my courage to call that person and be an advocate. It inspires me to write that opinion piece. It allows me to speak truth to power. But I don't make life altering decisions while in the grip of anger because I tend to make bad ones.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

GEAUX- PRIUS Cowboy said:
I don't want to talk about what others do that is their thing.

But you entitled the thread "How do you deal with ANGER!"

Here's something I do. I pick a random Craigslist somewhere in the country and post a long rambling rant in the 'Rants and Raves' section and never go back to see the responses, if any. Usually by the time I have it posted, I'm not even angry anymore. I do the same when I get hit with a bout of depression. I just babble my suicidal shit into the ether. Sometimes I get private emails in response from people who are going through 100 times worse than I am. Just realizing that seems to help. It's almost like therapy - I don't really care if anyone reads it, it's just getting it off my chest and I haven't burdened the people around me with my crap. They say depression is anger turned inwards - and I think that's right.

I've done it here too, but unfortunately I can't delete the post when my anger passes.

A phone conversation with my sister will sometimes set me off, and I swear I'll never call again, but I practice the adage - restraint of pen and tongue, she never realizes how pissed I am, and we're back to talking in a couple of weeks none the worst for wear.

A lot of my anger went away after I divorced. The rest went away after I retired.

It took a long time to finally realize...anger was only effecting me.

If I get angry, my own health suffers.

Since I cannot change someone else, the only viable option is to change myself.
And/Or leave.

So, I put distance between myself and what angers me. Then, by practicing mindfulness, I move on mentally too.

Heh IANc Yes. I too find writing to be very cathartic. I used to keep a blog that I did not share with anyone in my real life but had to stop it when I was dealing with the emotional fall out of a break up and the new woman found it. She must have really had to look for it and even though it was public (I used to get great advice from strangers) , it still felt like an invasion of my privacy but the irony of it of course is that I got a nasty email from my former boyfriend that I was invading *his* privacy by writing about my feelings. I countered that although it was public, I had no identifying info, did not intend for anyone we knew to read it, and was entitled to write about my own goddamn life. I am not entirely sure how the new woman found it actually but I guess the lesson is that if someone is looking hard enough, they can find anything you write on the internet. I stopped writing there out of respect for him but now I wish I hadn't. But I still cared about this opinion then. LOL