How do I keep windows from fogging up?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John61CT said:
It would be pretty rare for someone to break into any vehicle while someone's in it.

Good to know. Surfing the internet makes one paranoid sometimes. However, I can see where it might happen in a big city (which I mostly want to avoid). I have read that breaking into vehicles by breaking the windows has become quite common in San Francisco, but hopefully, that is an exaggeration. SF used to be pretty safe when I lived there 3 decades ago.

In a sketchy area leave an iphone or mac book out in view while you're away from the vehicle might be tempting fate, smash and grab is more common than open confrontation.

Oops. Just realized I typed “digging up” instead of “foging up”.

Marry her.
Or at least move in together.
Should reduce the moisture content and eliminate the problem.
:cool:

I quit putting the sunscreen- Reflectix type material in the front window at night and the condensation went away.

Good to know. Surfing the internet makes one paranoid sometimes. However, I can see where it might happen in a big city (which I mostly want to avoid). I have read that breaking into vehicles by breaking the windows has become quite common in San Francisco, but hopefully, that is an exaggeration. SF used to be pretty safe when I lived there 3 decades ago.
Get some little inexpensive alarms that go off at 125 decibels or more, Amazon has them and they are tripped by the vibration of someone trying to get into your vehicle! Work like a charm! Excuse me, did you say three decades ago! Just Google the crime rate! Maybe you shouldn't, it would be too scary! 😂

You're replying to a thread that's almost 5 years old.
I'm glad she did. I didn't know window coverings could be the reason for condensation. I'll try removing the coverings if my damp rid containers and cracking the windows don't work.

condensation has one cause, warmer temperature air with moisture in it contacting a surface that has reached the dew point temperature.

Or the air contains so much moisture it can no longer hold it suspended.

Of course many fibers can absorb moisture from the air and hold onto it. That can increase the localized amount of moisture in the air adjacent to a cold surface.

This is all basic scientific principles. You learned it in science classes back in your school years but have just forgotten you were once taught lessons on it.

My window everyday window coverings are roller blinds made with a woven mesh of fiberglass strands coated with vinyl. My blinds do not absorb moisture. I can see out during the day.

For cold weather I put up window coverings under those roller blinds that are made with closed Cell EVA foam which does not absorb moisture and is a good insulator. It also has reflective mylar bonded to one side. You can buy it on the internet in the form of insulating camping pads. Easy to cut with scissors. Link is to the images for such products as shown on a google image search. https://images.app.goo.gl/kWMc7AZK4BPqvcgX6

Last edited:
Rain X does not prevent condensation, it just stops the total fogged up effect by releasing surface tension so that larger drops are formed which can then run down to the bottom of the glass.