How difficult would it be to convert a large ceramic bowl into a sink?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PattySprinter

Reaction score
How difficult would it be to convert a large ceramic bowl into a sink?

I have a large (about 12" diameter) bowl that I picked up when I was in Poland. I love this bowl and would enjoy it as a small sink if it is possible.
I see Polish pottery sinks on eBay for over $500  :s - crazy - I bought it for about $20.
My question is - is it possible to drill a hole in it for a drain with busting the bowl?

I don't need a fancy pump and system and I am happy to have it drain into a grey water container. I am figuring I can buy a little washer/drain insert at Home Depot.
I want to have my son build a little cabinet around it for it to drop down into.

I really appreciate advice and input. Thank you!

Attachments

• pp.jpg
    pp.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 10
Someone who works with ceramics might have tools and skills to safely cut a drain hole.  Are there ceramic/pottery artists in your area?  Maybe a local college arts department?

You could also cut a hole in the counter for the bowl to rest securely in rather than mounting it permanently.  Then you could just lift out the bowl to dump it and wouldn't need a drain hole.

I love your plan to take something beautiful that you already own and love, and make it functional in your build.  That's what makes each build unique and personal.

Oh - now I am torn between having the hole put in or just setting it into the counter and lifting it out to empty.
I have two of these bowls - so even if I put a hole in one I still have the second.

mayble said:
Someone who works with ceramics might have tools and skills to safely cut a drain hole.  Are there ceramic/pottery artists in your area?  Maybe a local college arts department?

You could also cut a hole in the counter for the bowl to rest securely in rather than mounting it permanently.  Then you could just lift out the bowl to dump it and wouldn't need a drain hole.

I love your plan to take something beautiful that you already own and love, and make it functional in your build.  That's what makes each build unique and personal.

Mayble ... I think my van will end up looking like a minimalist gypsy inhabits it  :shy:

In my studio I did drill a number of Linux plates and bowls for a company that was building various clocks and things with the stuff. I used a diamond faced hole saw in a drill press. I used soft putty to make a dam to keep water around the bit. With the drill press i could feed the bit very slowly, and the whole project was a success. At that time the bits were expensive and limited in size. Now I see many sizes of diamond hole saws on the rack at Home Depot and other stores. My experience recommends a drill press to control the operation.

yes on the drill press the bowl also needs to be held in place. the bit is going to want to walk on you. slow speed and lots of coolant. highdesertranger

One of the more powerful RotoZip tools, maybe RotaSaw+, with diamond "X-bit" at the diameter you want.

https://www.rotozip.com/en-us/Pages/CategoryDetail.aspx?pid=5040_5039

Don't bother with Dremel.

Cushion it on a dense rubber pad upside down.

Max speed, steady pressure but let the bit grind away don't push too hard.

Magic, designed for even hard brittle ceramic tiles.

Might get a little chipping around the hole's edge, but shouldn't shatter the bowl itself.

gsfish said:
Someone that installs ceramic tiles might have the right size hole saw for the drain and be willing to take a few minutes to drill it. As HDR said it would probably be no guaranty of success. If it was me I would cut half way from one side and then finish from the other to try to avoid chips. Here is what the saw would look like (if it was ugly).

Are you thinking bathroom sink drain or standard kitchen with the basket?

Guy

I was thinking of pulling apart this antique table (it separates in half) and attaching the long flat end to the wall beams (taking wheels off too).
I could have a hole cut into the top and set the bowl into the hole.
I am so torn over the drain or not to drain - I really appreciate everyone's advice and input.
What do you all think of me repurposing my (solid quality wood) antiques for this build??????
Half of this table is 42" long - 21" wide & - 26" high.
I could staple pretty fabric around the inside and store pots and pans under it ...

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 8
It takes water to cool and lubricate the bit. Wear safety glasses.
I worked at a granite shop. In the field, we would wet a sponge and hold it on the bit. Drill slowly and accurately. Re-wet as needed. The critical point is when you break thru the material. Go slow and keep things wet. In the shop, we had very pricey machines to bore holes and do the sink cutouts in slabs. All used water, lots of it.
If you want to spend some money, go to/call a granite countertop shop. They have the tools and machines for doing the cutting. No guarantee on prices or success. Any guy doing tile installation usually has cutting tools and skills needed. Or a glass shop.

Dry grinding heats the bit and the material.

Generally, the ceramic bowls are thinner at the base. Sinks have a thicker bottom to help support the drain tube.

Or you could use my easier method:

Give $45 to Home Depot and they'll convert your bowl into a stainless steel bar sink! ;-)

Tom

I have a large drill press my son left in my garage - I can use that. Thank you everyone for all of your input - I need to think long and hard on this one.

Vagabound said:
Or you could use my easier method:

Give $45 to Home Depot and they'll convert your bowl into a stainless steel bar sink! ;-)

Tom

Thanks Tom lol!
I guess the best tool is Occam's razor  :idea:  :)

PattySprinter said:
Oh - now I am torn between having the hole put in or just setting it into the counter and lifting it out to empty.

Wet things can be slippery.

Hi Patty, I'm also going to be repurposing my furniture for my build! I think it's an excellent idea! I plan on eventually using a crock type bowl as well. I will cut a hole in the top of my dresser and set the bowl in it. I don't think I'll need a sink a lot, though, so I'm going to start with a collapsible sink in the top drawer. I'll be using the other half of the dresser for the stove. I'll be storing it in the other top drawer and pull it out when needed so I'll have plenty of counter top.

Love the idea of repurposing furniture. Bob did a video of a man in a Nissan NV who reused a lot of home furnishings, it was a lovely build.

If you are thinking on drilling it yourself, search YouTube for videos.  Nothing like seeing how a lot of different people do it to help make up your mind.

Sorry, no photos. I wanted my furniture to stay below the windows. I had to stay above the drain and water tanks, 7 gallon buckets. I made a wet sink from a stainless steel sheet pan, like used in commercial kitchens. It is about 2 or 3 inches deep. Drilled a hole and fitted a bar sink drain assembly. I use an enameled wash basin sitting in the sheet pan. I can dump it over into the sheet pan to drain the water.

My recommendation would to be take the advice here.....and then go buy a few cheap ceramic tiles at Home Depot or Lowes to practice on. Maybe even another ceramic bowl if you can find one cheap at a thrift shop or yard sale. The drill press is a must......I used to make lamps out of old glass bottles and my success rate using a drill press over free hand was 10 fold.