How did you get rid of your stuff?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mayble said:
Talking with some folks at work the other day I jokingly suggested instead of pricing things for a yard sale that one could just put out a donation jar.  Take what you want, pay what you want

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

Generate some interest on facebook, craigslist, put up flyers, etc telling folks about your plans to get rid of everything and hit the road, living a mobile minimalist lifestyle.  I think you'd have a lot of curious shoppers and probably raise a fair amount of money without having to haggle with the bargain hunters.

Heck, if someone did that in my neighborhood I'd go just to donate a few bucks and not take any stuff.

I think that's a great idea but I'm worried that someone would give me $5 for a $200 coffee table.  lol  I don't have much faith in humanity these days, sad but true.  But you're probably right, people would hopefully be honest if they're taking a valuable item.  But if you share the story of what's going on more people would be interested and probably would make out pretty good.

When I first learned to create websites one of the first clients I had was an antique store in the town's "antique district". (an old neighborhood of old 2 and 3 story buildings which once had shops in the bottom, that the town was considering tearing down due to their age and the neighborhood problems there)   Someone came up with the idea of just cleaning everything up and restoring the fronts of the buildings and making an "Antique Mall" out of the area.

I was in that area looking for some antique cooking items and an older lady who owned this one shop started chatting with me.  It was dead there that day and she may have sensed I could be some entertainment.   When  she asked what kind of work I was doing I explained that I created websites.  That was the beginnings of a great partnership and friendship.   I learned about the antique business from her and the way they purchased estates, or clean-out goods and sorted through the goods to weed out the antique goods,  flea market goods,  yard sale goods, and discard goods to be given to Goodwill Stores.  (these may be used coffee makers, toasters, clothing, shoes,  repairable appliances etc)

It was this method of sorting a parcel of goods that I really learned from.   Not everything old is really an antique. These items may go into a Flea Market stall to be sold. (for less)   things that really aren't Flea Market stall sales items,  can go into yard sales.  Those left overs can be given to non profits like Goodwill stores and they will give a receipt for the stated value.

I learned that this woman had a sister who had a Flea Market stall and ran that 4 days a week.  2 days of the week she helped her sort parcels she had purchased.    Her  daughter sold the yard sale stuff on the week ends when she wasn't in school.   Her husband would take the discard items to Goodwill in their Van.

In this manner they got the best prices for all the goods and had the right place to sell each kind of goods
in operation.   Whatever her husband stated the goods value to Goodwill,  they gave him a receipt to give their accountant as a charitable donation to use against their taxes.

Some of us just want to get rid of stuff and we can donate or give it away.  Others of us aren't in a financial
posture to do that, however, so we have to get the biggest bang for our goods (in terms of bucks) that we can.   So by sorting and selling in the right markets we can generate some money quickly. 

If you take something to the wrong kind of sales venue,  you'll likely not get much for it with a bunch of eager bidders.   If you get the same item in the right market it may sell and fetch a reasonable price.  In a yard sale they may figure you are just wanting to get rid of it fast and they can get it for nearly nothing.  In a Flea Market Stall they know you are paying a monthly fee and running the stall more like a store and your prices may be a bit elastic but not too much.

So,  the lesson I learned is that most people will assume you are running a yard sale and cherry pick the good stuff and move on leaving you with most of the stuff you wanted to sell,  leaving you to give it to Goodwill etc.   In one of my yard sales I made the mistake of putting a bunch of shirts on a clothes line.  I had a low price on them.  Sure enough, the first woman came and went down the line hunting for "labels" like Polo,
Tommy Hillfiger,  Izod,  etc to cherry pick the good stuff and run to the next yard sale.  I had a lawnmower in the sale and the same woman came by four or five times through the day until closing.  Where I had wanted $50 dollars which was  a deal in itself,   she offered $10 dollars for it.    Often these people are buying this stuff to run off to Pawn Stores where they can pawn it for two to three times as much.  Resale shops like to get "labels" with clothing items. 

Somethings to think about if you don't have a lot of experience with selling.   Selling online is possible if you have he skills.  Some places will buy your stuff if you give them a receipt with  your name, address, and phone number so they won't appear to have received stolen goods.  Then they will sell it on eBay.   But you don't have any of the headaches that they will with that kind of selling.

Cheli said:
I think that's a great idea but I'm worried that someone would give me $5 for a $200 coffee table.  lol  I don't have much faith in humanity these days, sad but true.  But you're probably right, people would hopefully be honest if they're taking a valuable item.  But if you share the story of what's going on more people would be interested and probably would make out pretty good.

They would, or even less. Anyone who has ever had a 'garage sale' can tell you about the folks who want a bunch for nothing, and the 'honor system' allows them to do so.
Some would just take stuff, free
This is why, having lived at or below poverty level many times, and having had to move with pretty much just the clothes on my back and a few real necessities, I simply cannot get on board with materialism
If all your 'stuff'' is easily replaced, you can just walk away and not stress over it
pretty much all the thing I own that are high value are also highly portable

"12 years worth of payments for worthless junk..."

WHY would anyone save worthless junk? So they could pay more for a larger storage unit?

Also, someone posted that they sold their stuff for 50-85% of its original value. WHERE on earth do you live???

"Take what you want, pay what you want"

The first people there would be the meth maggots. They would haul off everything they could get in their vehicles and not pay a dime.

you can sell certain items for what you paid or more. classic cars, guns, ammo, quality tools, gold and silver. unless you bought for a premium price. highdesertranger

I am still in the process but here's a tip: if you have photo equipment you don't want, keh.com will buy almost anything, they are very easy to deal with and even pay the shipping to have the gear sent to them. If you don't like the offer they will ship the gear back for free. I raised $1200 almost effortlessly selling stuff to them earlier this year.

https://www.keh.com/sell/

I have a collection of barter/trade items, small enough to bring on a trip. Things not worth a lot to sell but unusual enough that I'd rather gift or trade with someone who'd appreciate.

at the RTR they put out a tarp for anybody who wants to put their free stuff on it. the pile grows and shrinks everyday. highdesertranger

Hello everyone! We sold almost everything through an Estate Sale back in May. Mostly everything went and what was leftover, we gave to friends, discarded, donated or recycled.
We still have some stuff to get rid of while we sit in this campground waiting on retirement on September 16th!
Peace and blessings everyone!

MY sister is going to pay me for my house next week. I got all the title work out of the way and await her. I sold a bunch of stuff on craigslist and to my friends & neighbors. I took my best buddy & carpenter and let him choose what tools of mine he wanted, in exchange for helping me do any carpentry needed on my new van, when I get it. I hope to be mobile before it gets cold in Kansas, I've got a month or so. I'm having more fun giving stuff away than selling it on craigslist. Most of it is useless junk I was hanging on to for no good reason, less is better!!

I've given a LOT of perfectly good , almost new stuff. I don't want to mess with Craigslist... done enough of that stuff.
And , I get a big personal kick out of giving things away. I try to find people who I know will use what I'm giving them.
For example: I gave a Cross-bow to a friend, I know he will use it.
I've given probably 500 LP's... maybe 1000 cd's .. 200 dvd's to people I know who love music and movies; they also aren't exactly rich.

Like I said, i feel good about it. A lot goes to Goodwill, some into the trash (which is my last resort).

Oh, and I'm STILL doing it.

Just checked this book out of the Library today.

https://www.amazon.com/Downsizing-Family-Home-What-Save/dp/1454916338

51lZ6Ac5LzL._SX336_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm still inclined to look at a sell off like the "Antique Pickers" would.  Separating the total parcel into escalating
values of goods.   Then each of those  sub-parcels sold off by themselves such that each item is of similar value to the others.  (thus the "Cherry-Pickers" won't show up,  buy anything of value to them, and then
get on their Cells (or say to others at your sale),  "awww,  all they got left is junk".  With some of them this is just a game. 

If you are just wanting to get rid of stuff it's faster and easier to put it in boxes and call Goodwill to come get it.

I'm not on the road yet, but had to get rid of stuff fast when I moved to help take care of my Mom. Found out she had COPD and pneumonia and was sleeping @20 hrs per day on a Monday. (Moms like to hide things from their kids) Threw as much stuff as I could in my 2002 Prius and left for the drive on Tuesday morning early. Expected to stay a month and then decide what to do long term.

At the end of that month with Mom stable and meals precooked, I drove back for 6 days, sorted the house, took as much as I could to Goodwill, the library (lots of books for their book sale), etc. Metal stuff went on the curb since the town was broke and lots of metal pickers scavenged the streets. Trashed piles of stuff. Cleaned what I could. Loaded the Prius.

One month later, came back down Mom in tow and parked in a comfy motel room. More cleaning. Called Habitat for Humanity who came and got everything left. HH did a fantastic job. Not only took EVERYTHING, but tidied up and swept everywhere! Threw the last remaining bits (set aside) in the Prius, got the house on the market and moved back to my mom's house. Total of @2.5 Prius loads of stuff came north.

I've accumulated some stuff since that will need to be purged. We purged a lot last year after a basement flood and major construction to repair the cause. My mother doesn't like yard sales, so I carried what I could to donation places and then a company that claimed to donate most of what they hauled came and got the rest.

In the future, with less time pressure (or the icy winter weather), I'd offer to friends/family (contingent on quick pickup), yard sale and then donate most of the rest (if worth it). Large things like furniture put on the curb get picked up quickly, so that works too.

Biggest lesson learned: time pressure and limited space makes you make choices fast and helps weed out the unnecessary or unloved. For me this was a good thing and I missed very few items.

Going through this now. I don't have much since I've always rented rooms/couch surfed. I have a massive gaming rig that I want to trade for a laptop (gonna be so sad to see it go), and my aquarium. I keep cherry shrimp and I only want it to go to someone who knows how to take care of them so I'm taking my time with that. Most other stuff is junk that doesn't have much value so I'm just tossing it.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk