How can I sleep in minivan in -20C ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
<TABLE class=nested_invisible_table border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" height="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height="100%" vAlign=top colSpan=4><SPAN id=post_message_1270686615>I'm interested in winterizing my minivan for -20c to sleep in. I have taken out all but the front 2 seats and am considering insulation on top of the stock interior and&nbsp;installing a Newport propane fireplace/heater. The heater is vented with an ingenious double chimney that vents the hot gases out the exterior, larger diameter pipe while heating a smaller interior pipe that draws in cold exterior fresh air. Check it out <A href="http://www.boatownersworld.com/dickinsonmarine/propane_fireplaces_p9000.htm" target=_blank target=_blank><A href="http://www.boatownersworld.com/dickinsonmarine/propane_fireplaces_p9000.htm" target=_blank target=_blank><FONT color=#3b5998>http://www.boatownersworld.com/dickinsonmarine/propane_fireplaces_p9000.htm</FONT></A></A><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Would anyone have experience with this arrangement or offer tips or experience sleeping in a minivan in -20c with some degree of safety and comfort ( and STEALTH!)<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; My thanks and admiration goes out to all of you!&nbsp; <BR></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=4 align=middle><SPAN style="DISPLAY: none" id=loading_1270686615><B>Loading...</B></SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><br><br><br><TABLE class=nested_invisible_table border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" height="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height="100%" vAlign=top colSpan=4><SPAN id=post_message_1270686615>I'm interested in winterizing my minivan for -20c to sleep in. I have taken out all but the front 2 seats and am considering insulation on top of the stock interior and&nbsp;installing a Newport propane fireplace/heater. The heater is vented with an ingenious double chimney that vents the hot gases out the exterior, larger diameter pipe while heating a smaller interior pipe that draws in cold exterior fresh air. Check it out <A href="http://www.boatownersworld.com/dickinsonmarine/propane_fireplaces_p9000.htm" target=_blank target=_blank><A href="http://www.boatownersworld.com/dickinsonmarine/propane_fireplaces_p9000.htm" target=_blank target=_blank><FONT color=#3b5998>http://www.boatownersworld.com/dickinsonmarine/propane_fireplaces_p9000.htm</FONT></A></A><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Would anyone have experience with this arrangement or offer tips or experience sleeping in a minivan in -20c with some degree of safety and comfort ( and STEALTH!)<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; My thanks and admiration goes out to all of you!&nbsp; <BR></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=4 align=middle><SPAN style="DISPLAY: none" id=loading_1270686615><B>Loading...</B></SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><br>Greetings and respect!<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;Any tips on using a propane fireplace/heater http://www.boatownersworld.com/dickinsonmarine/propane_fireplaces_p9000.htm in my '04 ford freestar minivan? I've already removed all but the 2 front seats and can divide the space just behind the seats with a hard or soft insulated divider.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'd like to leave the original interior cladding and cover it over temporarily for this winter with&nbsp;insulation.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;A &nbsp;thick layer of foam and foil would probably be in order, maybe with thin sheet cedar particle board for freshness and mold resistance?<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I have access to up to 4 down sleeping bags that I could pile on top of myself.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I could use a 3" boat cushion with a 2" memory foam topper as a bed.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; could I&nbsp;omit the fireplace altogether if I were to fill 1 or 2, five gallon water jugs with hot water from a gas station or some such to warm the space before bedding down?<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Has anyone had experience with the terra cotta flowerpot and candle heater and what is the contact info?<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm open to all tips and suggestions, radical ideas, new products,<br>Anyone have experience with little wood stoves <A href="http://www.boatownersworld.com/dickinsonmarine/newport_solid_fuel_heater.htm" target=_blank>http://www.boatownersworld.com/dickinsonmarine/newport_solid_fuel_heater.htm</A>&nbsp;burning restaurant style charcoal, or cut up discarded wood pallets?<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I don't want to freeze or asphyxiate and I know many of you would enjoy the ability to van dwell in colder climates out of necessity or to ski etc.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Lets put our heads together folks and make this thread the GO TO spot to safely and effectively heating our little spaces...<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Humble thanks <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Maybe just 2 standard rubber hot water bottles would do under the sleeping bags?<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; will I need an air intake vent and an out vent to prevent moisture in the compartment?<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I will be sleeping in the van only, no cooking or hanging out as I'll be working most days or doing errands etc...<br>

It sounds like you have a plan. I just wonder if you can get something more ..less&nbsp;expensive&nbsp;and easier to set up heater wise? &nbsp; I was so&nbsp;curious&nbsp;about the flower pot heater and google it.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div><a href="http://hackedgadgets.com/2009/10/16/terracotta-pot-candle-heater/" target="_blank">http://hackedgadgets.com/2009/10/16/terracotta-pot-candle-heater/</a></div><div><br></div><div>Thats something I would like to try.</div><div>&nbsp;Im sure other people will come on and give more tips. Check out the heating and air conditioner thread. Lots of good tips there. Good Luck!!</div>

Thanks Bob, I'll check out the sister site.<BR>Hello and thanks to she for the encouragement ( interesting candle heater isn't it?)<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; An Espar heater&nbsp;&nbsp; <A href="http://www.espar.com/" target=_blank target=_blank>http://www.espar.com/</A>&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;( either forced air or even better, coolant heater would be very high end but very safe and reliable and if the interior were sprayed with foam that would be optimal. ( Ever since I was a kid I wanted a SKOOL BUS with a WOOD STOVE in it but you might as well have a Las Vegas type lighted sign on it saying "I LIVE HERE!!!")<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; For me, the small space of the mini van is going to be more efficient to heat but I also want the STEALTH.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I will start by insulating it and the most effective heating solution will manifest itself( as the temperature drops)<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I also thought about towing a small utility trailer for a bit of extra stowage but mainly to house a small propane hot water tank with an insulated hose connected to a series of PEX type pipes under my van floor for a nice DRY RADIANT heat. I would have to add anti freeze to the system and an efficient little circulation pump. All too complicated and this would probably cost as much as the Espar heater. <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; It's incredible how many ideas I've had while spending a cold night in the minivan, And condensation is not something to over look, moisture will start a mold explosion and will lower the efficiency of down comforters and bags.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;

Hmmmm..<div>I live in my Camper/Truck now in Canada, Ontario.</div><div>I have lived in a vehicle/trailer/school bus before in the&nbsp;Prairies&nbsp;and in BC, as well as tent and underground shelter.</div><div><br></div><div>Right now, I added underpad to the floor where I live in the Camper part of the box truck, added 3 through rugs, the middle is where they overlap and is the warmest. Look for the thickest poly wool blend or straight wool rugs you can get, cut to fit. I used Durofoam for the roof, and on the curved areas Refletix insulation. By far the Durofoam is much warmer than the Refletix.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>My Astro Van right now is warmer than my camper because I am renovating and moving stuff in and out of the camper/truck. Others have lived in Vans, with very minimal heat. The other day I put my smallest propane heater in my van, it was 0 deg&nbsp;Celsius, after only 5 min, I had to turn it off or open up 2 windows. The wind, now that is another story with the wind blowing as it is now, the Van and Camper Temps drop fast. If you can find a Kerosene heater that is small that will work and is less moisture.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Sterno, I have slept in the Van in the Prairies with nothing more than a can of Sterno going on the floor, ontop of a piece of hardwood board for safety. Even the long burn/emergency candles will keep the Van warm enough that you will live. Find the smallest Coleman propane heater you can, put it in the trailer or put a small platform on the trailer hitch. This will provide you with plenty of heat even when it is very low temps. Been there done that!</div><div><br></div><div>The temps are around -20 but do fluctuate higher and lower, due to air passing over the Mountain ranges from the coast.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>See Bob's explanation on the Reflectix insulation for the windows, I have done a mod to that, added in large bubble wrap, folded over, bubbles inside and taped along the edges and wow what a difference in temps. Only do this if smoked windows or no stealth though. The difference is that I can not feel any heat variations now from the insulated walls to passing my hand over the windows, there is that much of a&nbsp;difference&nbsp;now.</div><div><br></div><div>From experience, you will need a counter area on one side to make even some simple meals, this will cut down on the amount of money spent and gives a place to do stuff. Yes you say you will not be in there very much, but even using some plastic totes with a wooden plank on top will assist you, or use the plastic drawer system with a top&nbsp;surface.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Leave some cross&nbsp;ventilation&nbsp;and that takes care of a lot of the moisture&nbsp;issues.</div><div><br></div><div>School&nbsp;buses&nbsp;have too many windows so unless you modify the outside or the inside it is hard to heat and maintain heat in windy situations. With the new&nbsp;fireplace&nbsp;inserts or other systems you can just put the pipe through one of the windows, and remove it while you are driving, park with that facing a wall. etc.</div><div><br></div><div>The under the floor system was tried by someone I know, it was a killer on price, and high&nbsp;maintenance, as well the pump and heater was connected to a 110 plug in all the time.</div><div><br></div><div>If you are going to Fort McMurrey or the like, you do not have to worry about stealth at all, you will fit right in, they have Tent City where there is any and every type of Vehicle/trailer/tent combo living there.</div><div><br></div>

You can go to Canadian Tire, pick up a solar powered fan for about $25 put in the window or on the dash move the air around or outside, then less issues with condensation as well.

Thank you<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;for the variety of information Wilderness.

Any other questions go ahead and ask, though not sure why I am not getting any replies unless I go back and look at the posts?<div><br></div><div>I think you have some good ideas, what are you going to go to in Alberta? If you are going to go North of&nbsp;Edmonton, it is normally colder than -20</div><div><br></div><div>Do a search for Alaska and BC, B.C. there were some who posted messages about living in their vehicles in the winter time.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>I have an idea that I am going to try out, do not try it out as I am not sure it is safe yet.</div><div>I have a small little Focus 3 Coleman heater,&nbsp;</div><div>I am going to hook up a propane hose with a regulator to it, and test it out. OUTSIDE first, just in case it blows up or something.</div><div>Then if it passes, I will put it into an old Kerosene heater unit. I am thinking the little Focus 3 is about 1000btu to 2000btu, and by putting it into the Kerosene housing the heat will be focused better forwards and the updraft heat will transfer into the vented metal top so the heat will be more efficient.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>I plan on modifying the Kerosene housing to accept the heater and be semi-permanently to permanently mounted in the unit. This is&nbsp;definitely&nbsp;not&nbsp;recommended&nbsp;by the manufacturer and i say do not do it yourself. I am also sitting in a very big yard with nothing around&nbsp;incase&nbsp;it goes boom.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>I have a Big Buddy heater but the lowest setting is 4ooo btu's wich is way to hot right now even with the big winds and rains of the last couple of days. &nbsp;My vehicle is my avatar so I have the room inside for this and the&nbsp;ventilation.&nbsp;</div>

<P>Hi Wilderness:<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I've been very busy getting ready to go west from Ottawa and you're right, I'll be in Fort Mack.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;I decided to gut the interior of the Ford Freestar ( from just behind the 2 front seats). I'm using cans of spray foam to fill all the gaps and voids in the metal frame work of the interior to make use of an other wise uninsulated space.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;As time is a factor, I will use a combination of Rocksul mineral wool and old school White Styrofoam sheets ( I already had this stuff) to finish off the floor, walls and ceiling.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;I'm hoping to use&nbsp;4'X8' sheets of natural cedar closet liner as finish surface for the great scent, mold and mildew prevention and warm&nbsp;organic look.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;I like your WOOL rug idea and happen to have a little persian one that will be&nbsp;wall to wall!&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'll make a divider behind the driver's seat out of rigid foam board and devise a door to the back out of the same. I've also removed the front passenger seat and the freed up space will be a poach like area to remove winter boots and hold items not needed in the heated sleeping/ lounging space.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;As this is all temporary ( I intend to winter in the south in the coming years) I will be covering over the rear door and both side doors, my only access to the living space will be through the passenger side opening from the front. Less complication to insulate, no drafts, and nobody will be able to see inside as all the rear windows will be first fitted with black fabric I had on hand ( all the rear windows are a dark factory tint already) then insulation will completely fill the space so the interior will be continuous, seamless,flat or slightly curved surfaces.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;I'll take pictures if I have time and document the whole thing. It's all a big experiment till spring and then I'll redo the interior in a different way using the experience I gain this winter. Hopefully it will be the last time I have to stay this far north in winter again. <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I haven't even mentioned what I'm going to install as heat as that will be for a later post. <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm installing an RV roof vent from Canadian Tire to take care of venting excess heat and moisture and provide some cheery daylight. Just imagine an&nbsp;IGLOO on wheels!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; More soon...Let the adventure unfold...<BR></P>

Hey there. We have an insulation thread here somewhere you ought to check out first. A lot of good info I don't feel up to repeating lol. Don't forget the vapor barrier: that will prevent a lt of your water problems.

Gutting first a good idea, IMO.

Just a thought: heat rises, so insulate the roof well, put your heat source low and your bunk high.

She said:
It sounds like you have a plan. I just wonder if you can get something more ..less&nbsp;expensive&nbsp;and easier to set up heater wise? &nbsp; I was so&nbsp;curious&nbsp;about the flower pot heater and google it.&nbsp;<DIV><BR></DIV><DIV><A href="http://hackedgadgets.com/2009/10/16/terracotta-pot-candle-heater/" target=_blank target=_blank>http://hackedgadgets.com/2009/10/16/terracotta-pot-candle-heater/</A></DIV><DIV><BR></DIV><DIV>Thats something I would like to try.</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;Im sure other people will come on and give more tips. Check out the heating and air conditioner thread. Lots of good tips there. Good Luck!!</DIV><P>
This is incredible!&nbsp; Johnney Cannuck&nbsp; we need to combine this with your jelly jar heater.&nbsp; I already have all the parts for your JCJelly Jar heater and and this flower pot heater.&nbsp; Making this will sure beat cleaning my house. Thanks She.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT color=#00ffff><b>Dragonfly</b></FONT></P>

The Durofoam is a better idea than the white foam, it is more dense, reflecta sided and sealed on the other so less offgassing. It is only $13 for a 4x8 sheet.<div><br></div><div>I also added in a few layers of the rug, the one only layer was way too cold, and it is not winter yet.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Best of luck, shoot some pics here as well. I am in the Durham Region / Oshawa area. On your way by, drop by for a coffee!</div>

Thanks and best wishes to all for your help! I'll head out west on Friday morning and complete the project there in a large storage unit. Because I already owned the Dickinson newport fireplace/heater, I will be installing it in the back passenger side corner and the overkill output will cover for me while I finish insulating.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>

livin.free.in.a.minivan, Nice wood. I also thought about something like a horizontal western or cabin looking board.&nbsp; <br><br>About your windows, is there any chance of moisture or condensation problems from the van being warm on the inside and being in cold weather on the outside? I mean between the glass, black fabric and your insulation? How does one create a vapor barrier? <br>

How does one create a vapor barrier?
<br><br>After insulating, cover the insulation (between the insulation and panelling) with a water proof barrier: sheet plastic. Any breaks, seams or holes, cover with a water resistant tape. NO OPENINGS whatsoever.<br><br>

SO...<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; From what I'm learning so far, as long as no outside water or moisture comes in from the exterior ( my van walls and roof don't leak and weather strips are all good on sealed doors etc...) the true 'enemy' will be moisture my own body will produce naturally from breathing and&nbsp;occasionally boiling some water on a little gas stove.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;I must therefore prevent this moisture from penetrating and condensing into the insulation layers&nbsp;(where it would&nbsp;cause damage&nbsp;ie. rust,rot, mold,mildew,) and decrease&nbsp;it's insulating properties by allowing the wet material to conduct cold in from the outside.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;To combat this 'enemy' I have to use a SEAMLESS vapor BARRIER ( taping over seams ,cuts, or holes)&nbsp;between the finished surface ( in this case, a rot resistant natural, unfinished, cedar paneling) and the underlying insulating layers. <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; When the van heats up in&nbsp;from the exterior on a sunny winter day (The color is a stealthy soccer mom factory burgundy and has factory dark tinted windows) because there won't be any new moisture introduced into the insulation, no damage should occur.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; With my new roof vent I can control the heat and let any moisture escape before condensation. The abundant heat source (newport fireplace/heater) will allow me to crack the roof vent slightly and still retain enough heat while allowing the humid air to escape.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Again, my little space will be like an igloo where the snow blocks insulate a small space where body heat and an oil lamp or two create enough heat that an opening at the top of the igloo will allow the humid air to escape while still keeping the occupants comfortably warm inside. The key is to control and experiment with how much (or little) heat and how much to crack the roof vent. This will all be trial and error and the learning curve will be steep.LOL!!!<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Does this all sound correct??? Any clarification or tweeks are welcome...&nbsp;<BR><br>

Sounds accurate to me. I don't think your bady will create enough moisture to be an issue. We've never had an issue, and even our coffee pot has created none. We have a bigger van, but we keep the inside temperature cool and wear sweaters and sleep under quilts.

I just don't think you're going to have that much humidity inside to worry about, except while you're cooking.

Not to stretch this thread out, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you're only going to have condensation when warm moist air hits a cold(er) surface.

When you cook with a pot, make sure the lid fits good and tight, that will prevent moisture build up as well.<div><br></div><div>That stove.. yikes, I think you vent will be open and some windows as well, that puts out quite a bit of heat, way more than you little space needs, so you might even have a dry sauna in there!</div><div>cheers and take care.</div>