How can I run a CPAP in my tiny van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This doesn't answer your question, but may help you anyway. A year ago I ran out of eggs--I used to eat 4 to 6 a day. I had a vague memory of reading eggs caused respiratory problems, and couldn't get out, so didn't get any. Then I remembered dairy products can cause respiratory problems. Then I read grains and glutens cause problems. Since quitting eating those items, it has become easier to breathe. And I don't miss those foods, at least not often. I have an egg in a recipe, not often as an egg. I eat a bit of cheese on occasion, but have avoided grains and glutens. Pretty much quit sweeteners, too, except honey.
Maybe a change in your way of eating could help you.
Ella1

Ella1 said:
This...may help you ... eggs caused respiratory problems, ... dairy products ... grains and glutens cause problems. Since quitting eating those items, it has become easier to breathe. ...Maybe a change in your way of eating could help you.
Ella1

I should have also said I have severe COPD and severe reactions to chemicals. I use 3 lpm O2 at night and 4-5+ during the day. I have for years. Since eliminating those foods, though my total lung function probably hasn't increased much if any, it did get easier to breathe. I don't always need the O2 during the day now. I was not being flip.

Ella1 said:
This doesn't answer your question, but may help you anyway. A year ago I ran out of eggs--I used to eat 4 to 6 a day. I had a vague memory of reading eggs caused respiratory problems, and couldn't get out, so didn't get any. Then I remembered dairy products can cause respiratory problems. Then I read grains and glutens cause problems. Since quitting eating those items, it has become easier to breathe. And I don't miss those foods, at least not often. I have an egg in a recipe, not often as an egg. I eat a bit of cheese on occasion, but have avoided grains and glutens. Pretty much quit sweeteners, too, except honey.
Maybe a change in your way of eating could help you.
Ella1

Thanks, but I've got Obstructive Sleep Apnea, not lung issues, and it's pretty minor.  (my AHI is only 10 - 11/hr.)  I can skip a night or two without a problem.
Actually, if my work wasn't so insanely boring, mindless and fatiguing, I wouldn't have found out I had it at all.  :p  It was only after I started driving to SF twice a day, in complete silence, that I had any trouble staying awake.  

Thanks for the idea, though.  Always a good idea to eat healthy and cut back on anything that makes your breathing harder.  

You could use that solar panel to charge a battery all day. I suppose.

Sorry, I don't know you well enough to tell if you're being serious or not.

I thought a 160W panel would be acceptable for charging a 150Ah AGM. If I can find a CPAP machine with a lower Amp rating, maybe I can get a lower Ah battery.
(not sure why I didn't think of that before).

That battery is serious overkill for that Cpap. If you read back a few posts one guy mentions he ran his cpap for five nights on a single charge with 96ah. I have a resperonics resmed s9 and I run it off a junkyard battery. It works fine for a night or two with a cheap 150w inverter.

My CPAP is rated at 6.67 Amps. At 8 hours of use each night, that would be 53.36 Amp hours per night. I was told in earlier posts that I don't want to discharge the AGM batteries more than 50% (30% would be optimum). Given this information, I figured a 150 Ah AGM would be perfect. Did I miss something?

I was also told that a general rule of thumb is 1 Watt of solar for every 1 Ah of battery, thus my plan to run a 160W panel to a 150 Ah battery.

I would gladly buy a "smaller" battery, but I was told that doing so would greatly reduce the lifespan of the unit.

Maybe I should go back to the first page of this thread and read it all over again. :(

BigT said:
My CPAP is rated at 6.67 Amps.  At 8 hours of use each night, that would be 53.36 Amp hours per night.  I was told in earlier posts that I don't want to discharge the AGM batteries more than 50% (30% would be optimum).  Given this information, I figured a 150 Ah AGM would be perfect.  Did I miss something?

I was also told that a general rule of thumb is 1 Watt of solar for every 1 Ah of battery, thus my plan to run a 160W panel to a 150 Ah battery.  

I would gladly buy a "smaller" battery, but I was told that doing so would greatly reduce the lifespan of the unit.  

Maybe I should go back to the first page of this thread and read it all over again.  :(

1 watt per 1AH of storage capacity is a bit light for an AGM battery.  These act better when recharged at higher rates.  You can't have enough solar.  you can't have too much in most every situation.  It is far too easy to have too little.

Deeper cycles reduce the total amount of cycles, however, too little solar for too much battery capacity can be just as detrimental, especially with AGMs.

I happen to be getting the best $ per cycle of any of my previous batteries, and it is the smallest amount of capacity I have cycled.  I stepped down to 130 AH from 230,  and with 200 watts of solar, this only approaches the 'recommended'  10% rate in summertime.   Quality AGM's like lifeline recommend a 20 % rate, and Odyssey say no less than a 40% rate on a deeply cycled battery.

Cycle depth and rate of recharge are kind of a trade off with AGM's.  Yes the deeper the cycle the more detrimental, but also the slower the recharge rate, the more detrimental, and if the battery is not recharged fully by the end of the day, it is more detrimental.

If one can charge via alternator with higher amps, even relatively briefly, and then let the solar finish the job, the AGM will last significantly longer than just low and slow solar cycle after cycle.  This goes for flooded batteries too, but with AGMs,  higher currents  applied regularly are much more beneficial.

AGM's biggest possible performance advantage over Flooded, is the ability to accept huge recharge currents when depleted.  but not all AGM's say they can handle huge currents.  Many say no more than 30% of capacity.

Anyway, a well balanced system is best done initially.  If you need 150 AH of AGM, I'd say no less than 200 watts of solar, and preferably 300 if Solar is to be the only recharging source.  If you already have 160 watts of solar then get no more then 110AH of AGM.

Not the end of the world if you cant meet these recommendations, just expect the battery to lose capacity faster than hoped for.  And remember, systems work just fine, until that day when the battery does not have enough capacity left and No longer seems to 'take a charge'.  How soon that day comes is dependent on how well the battery is recharged each cycle.  Occasionally dipping below 50% is not as damaging as 2 weeks of cycling,  never getting to 100%.

Go for more solar.  It can pay for itself in lead.

BigT - that's a really high power Cpap. Maybe check to see if you can get a new model paid by insurance. That has less power needs to function.

offroad said:
that's a really high power Cpap. Maybe check to see if you can get a new model paid by insurance.

That's my new plan.  But wow, those suckers are expensive!  I was given that machine by Kaiser for free, but I'm not sure they'll give me another one just because I want one with a lower Amp draw.  

SternWake, thanks for the info! That sort of detail is always appreciated! :)

Big T, just to throw this in....I used to be on a C-PAP machine and hated it !!. I now sleep in my LaZboy recliner (at about 30 degrees angle) and don't even need the machine anymore.

Have to chime in on that.  I was on a cpap for several years then started sleeping in my recliner.  Have not used the cpap since.  

I use the 1 to 1 ratio of watts to AH and it works well for me. I almost always float by noon or before. You can say that's just a blinking light that isn't telling me the truth, But if that's true the problem is the controller, not the ratio of watts to AH and taking a battery out won't change anything, it will just give me less AH to use over night.

Unless you aren't floating, having less batteries doesn't help because the controller will set back the charge on one batteries just like it did on two. It's programmed to charge at a certain rate per AH of battery and that's the wrong rate for most AGMs. The only thing that will solve that problem is an adjustable controller that you set the charge rate and float point.

To fix that problem I need a better controller and to learn how to use it and take the time to do it. It's not worth it to me.

I'd rather have the extra AH to use in bad weather and risk the possibility of losing some of the batteries life, but that's just a decision I've made for myself.
Bob

Ken in Anaheim said:
Big T, just to throw this in....I used to be on a C-PAP machine and hated it !!. I now sleep in my LaZboy recliner  (at about 30 degrees angle) and don't even need the machine anymore.

I wish I could, but an old back injury means I often need to lay flat.  Plus, my bunk doubles as a seat/bench when I'm sitting at my table or getting dressed. 

Too bad too, because my apnea is very minor, so a recliner would probably do the trick. 

Id've posted this in a more fitting category, but couldn't find anything, so I'm adding it to my own topic.  :blush:

Is running the panel higher in the front (in relation to the van, not the ground) going to pose any air flow issues, like reduced mpg?  

In relation to the ground, the panel will lay flat, but the space between the panel and roof of the van will be larger at the front than at the rear.  Not by much, though.  

The reason for this is because I'm doing the build under my carport and there's limited space (7').  A support beam in the carport limits the height I can build this darn thing!   :(  Because the van's suspension sits slightly, 2", higher in the rear, anything I mount to the crossbars ends up sticking up higher the further back it sits on the roof of the van.  

I'm hoping the space between the panel and the roof will be high enough that it will have no effect at all.  Because it will sit level with the earth, maybe it won't create any drag at all.  I'm thinking it will in fact be better than if it leaned forward, which might act like a spoiler and create a (very minor) downforce.  

Even with this level mounting system, I only have about 2" of available height to play with.   :s

A drive across Kansas convinced me to mount my panel as low as possible.  

You have seen the pictures of the before and after.  By lowering it the 4 inches, I removed a lot of wind sheer.  What you need to worry about is the wind catching you from the side, and lifting on the panel while you are at speed.  This will cause you to sway and be all over the road.  Higher is the back is not a problem. In fact it would help.

Next time start a new thread, so you get the attention of those who have the best knowledge and experience.  

Great news!!! For those of you still reading this long-winded and never-ending thread. :p

I just got off the phone with both CPAP.com and Philips Respironics. CPAP couldn't answer my question, but they gave me a contact number for PR, where I got the answer I needed and, given what I've been reading on the CPAP sites, expected to get.

The guy I spoke with said that 6.67A is the maximum amperage the unit would draw with the humidifier attached and that 2.0 - 2.2 Amps would be the average Amp draw I could expect *without* the humidifier. They quote 3 Amps just to be safe.

This is a HUGE load off my mind as for the past few months I feared I wasn't going to have room for the necessary number of solar panels and that I'd need a super-heavy battery.

3.0 Amps X 8 hours of sleep per night = 24.0 Ah taken from the battery each night. Going with no more than a 33% discharge per night, that would mean I'd need at least a 72.0 Ah AGM. Probably go with an 80 or 96 Ah AGM just to be safe. That could probably be sufficiently charged by a single, 100-160 Watt panel, couldn't it?

I plan to charge a few other things: My laptop, my DVD player, and maybe run a couple of LED lights for reading, so I figure an 80 or 96 Ah AGM should suffice.
The laptop and DVD player can also be charged off the car's ACC plugs, so really just the CPAP and LED's would be running off the house battery.

I'm a much happier camper now, or at least I will be soon. :)

That's GOOD news! I'm really glad it's going to work out! I'd err on the side of two much solar and go with a 110 ah battery and 200 watts of Solar like a Renogy kit. The extra panel really isn't that much more and your health is worth it in a storm in the winter.
Bob

The issue I have with 200 Watts of panels, is that there's not much room on the roof for what would be 8' of solar panels. I have to mount them end-to-end because I haul a kayak on the roof that will shadow an entire panel if I mount them next to each other.
The roof of the van is less than 8', so there would be quite a bit of overhang over the windshield, reducing the stealth factor quite a bit.
If I can get away with a single panel, I can more easily hide it up on the roof.
I'm going to call Renology tomorrow and see if they have a 160 Watt panel like the one I found (out of stock) on Amazon.
I can alway add more panels if I find it necessary. :)