How about a small boat

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroad

Reaction score
Have been reading a blog about a guy and his wife who towed a boat from New Hampshire to Florida and are sailing-motoring from island to island. There house is shutdown while they are away so no costs there. Seems like a good alternative besides van dwelling.

humm... well I remember reading about a guy who was putting cargo container apartments on a large skiff and towing that up and down the missippi or colorado rivers, it wasnt too expensive from what I remember but cant find the link... but I'll just say, when I lived in Alaska there were a bunch of guys who lived on boats, rented them as apartments etc, the owners were the ones who hated their boats... guess the upkeep on them was huge, salt water does damage.

I had a couple of sailboats (a sailing dingy and a 23 foot cruiser- O'Day). Boats have a lot of space compromises to retain their hull shape. I would not consider living on one myself unless it was a houseboat / shantyboat. That being said, I plan on building a very small minimalist boat and go down the Mississippi as a retirement gift to myself. The sleep aboard boat will be hand build by me and powered by 10hp outboard. Something like this: http://houseboatshantyboatbuilders.wordpress.com/2009/10/13/chugger-the-spirit-of-shantyboats/

Some addition costs are fuel (usually you pay a premium for have it dockside), sewage pump out, and tie up fees. One could bob in the bay, but then getting ashore is a pain.

Boat websites can give you great ideas about getting use of all your interior space and they have some products that can be used on vans. I like the solar powered vents that can be left on 24/7.

Some of those hand built boats are pretty simple to build and have lots of room.

I run my business out of a really big shop. (I can get a full semi truck inside and close the doors behind it, and still have room to work around it.)...plus I've got an office, a showroom, and a studio.
I own and operate my own sign and graphics business, but now I'm pushing more into just fine art so I won't need nearly that much space, nor the overhead of it.

well...I'm moving outta there this spring, and I've kinda looked at some of the old commercial fishing boats we've got around here for sale. (I live right on the coast) Some are in really good condition, but have been stripped of all their fishing gear and their commercial licenses. (which is worth ALOT of money!!)...and some of these boats are for sale pretty darn cheaply!

I've been considering getting one and using it as a floating studio. A slip at the marina is very reasonable, and you get water and electricity with it too. It's also close enough that I could bicycle to my work! :D

Plus, being on the water is a cool place to be, and I think it'd be a neat way to own my studio cheaply.

I lived on boats in Alaska, Washington and California. I always enjoyed my time on the water, especially since I also made my living on the water in a variety of boats, tugs, fishing boats, big (really big) schooners, sail boats and power boats. If you have a chance to get a fishing boat in the 30 to 40 foot range and the price is cheap enough, I'd say go for it! One thing to remember: the warmer the weather, the smaller the boat you need. When I worked at a boat yard in Fort Lauderdale, FL., I lived very comfortably on an 18 foot sailboat!

In the words of famous actor and world sailor, Sterling Hayden "What more does a man need than a sense of purpose, three meals a day and six feel to lie down in?"

Jamo

Patrick; you are speaking my language man. I love your plan right down to bicycling to work!

Patrick, having been to your town, I'd think your idea would fit right into the local "color". We would have been attracted to visit such an unusual gallery while we were having a fresh fish lunch on the docks there.
Your town has a cool eclectic scene that might support something like that.

We've lived aboard our sailboat and have shuttled houseboats into the swamps during hurricanes in Fla. I've helped build 2 pontoon type houseboats, one a business that owes a great part of its success to the atmosphere.

As for living aboard a houseboat...I think its a great idea if you understand the lifestyle, and laws, as well as navigation, particularly on major rivers.
Its totally do-able and I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from living on the water. I wouldn't trade that time for anything.

bindi&us said:
Patrick, having been to your town, I'd think your idea would fit right into the local "color". We would have been attracted to visit such an unusual gallery while we were having a fresh fish lunch on the docks there.
Your town has a cool eclectic scene that might support something like that.

Hey guys...

well, there's actually a private dock just a few blocks from my shop, (it used to be a shipyard), and I've breifly talked to the owner about my idea, and they seemed receptive to it.
So I probably won't be at the City Dock (where the fish & chips shack is at.) Plus, this will be my own QUIET private studio, and not a gallery open to the public. (altho, I would enjoy the occasional visitor!) :D

I think it'd be a ton cheaper (and more spacious) then renting studio space somewhere in town, it'd be something that I own and could decorate and 'do it up' however I pleased, and I've always wanted to live on the water...so this would give me a taste of that lifestyle too. (I've always loved those incredible houseboats in Sausalito.)

If I had to go on the road to do a show and leave my boat sitting unattended for a few weeks, there'd always be someone watching over it 24/7.

offroad said:
Have been reading a blog about a guy and his wife who towed a boat from New Hampshire to Florida and are sailing-motoring from island to island. There house is shutdown while they are away so no costs there. Seems like a good alternative besides van dwelling.

btw...do you have a link to their blog??

First, you can get seaworthy used boats cheap down here. It's a buyer's market and it is glutted. Second, if you are going to actually castoff and leave the dock, you'd better get some experience and know what you are doing. People who don't tend to keep SeaTow in business - if they are lucky. Lsst I heard, the Coast Guard would not come after you anymore unless you were sinking if there was a commercial service available.

We spent years coastal cruising , first on a Bayliner 2452, then on Searay 26. The Bayliner was roomier ant set up better down below. The Searay was more comfortable under way and handled better. Both these boats were towable, could be stored in our yard and hauled to inland lakes as well as the ICW.

We used to be able to find beautiful, quiet anchorages and inexpensive, out of the way marinas. No more. Even 3 miles out, you can't get away from people. We were enjoying the tail end of the uncrowded water. The crowds have driven up marina prices, caused tensions and crowding at anchorages, resulted in some anchorages being abused and then closed, and caused a tightening of laws and restrictions. The easy-going days of the Pardey's are over.

If you want to live aboard in Florida, you will contend with constant humidity, heat, corrosion, mildew, noise, and never-ending maintainance that you REALLY don't want to put off. Everything on a boat is 3 times as pricey as it should be.

That being said, we loved it. Take some boating classes and come on down. Just make sure you know what you are in for.

BTW, if you get stopped by the Coast Guard, be respectful and don't try any of the crap you can get away with with the cops. These guys are military. They are tired of fishing drunks or bloated bodies out of the water, or dragging the remains of crab dinners out of the mangroves or chasing down armed drug runners. They will treat you with courtesy, but don't push your luck.