Honda Ridgeline?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dingfelder

Reaction score
Anyone know much about the Honda Ridgeline?  My friend is buying one after comparing to Toyota Tacoma, which is supposedly better for off-roading but has a much rougher ride ... and he has spinal and joint problems, so a rough ride is quite difficult for him.  He never goes off road.

I had a 2006 for 9 or 10 years. I used it as a daily driver and towed a pop up trailer during occasional family camping trips. Virtually no off-road use but handled well on roads during rain/snow. It drove like a car or SUV vs a typical truck. The cab had plenty of room. The tailgate dropped down and swung open. The trunk under the bed is awesome and HUGE. I really enjoyed that truck but I needed to tow a larger travel trailer.

The Ridgeline is essentially a Pilot with the back roof cut off (in the same way a Chevy Avalanche is a Tahoe with the back roof cut off, or the El Camino was a Chevelle wagon with the back roof cut off). Real Truck Men® distain the Ridgeline because it's a unibody design instead of stronger, harsher-riding body-on-frame. They say it's a truck for people who don't really want (and maybe even fear) an honest-to-God truck. They say it's a truck for suburbanites to haul mulch and antiques, not a Real Manly Work® truck. They also distain the Ridgeline because Honda is a johnny-come-lately to the pickup world and hasn't built a reputation there yet.

That said, whether a Ridgeline is a good choice depends on what someone wants to do with it.

I think your friend will be happy with a Ridgeline. It will go places a mini van and likely 1/2 ton van would go.
Yes it will drive like a SUV vs a 3/4 ton truck or van. And that’s bad because?

Here's a video of an off-road test of the current generation Ridgeline.

Here's a mud test.

And here's a more comprehensive test, but under more controlled conditions.

Dingfelder said:
Anyone know much about the Honda Ridgeline?  My friend is buying one after comparing to Toyota Tacoma, which is supposedly better for off-roading but has a much rougher ride ... and he has spinal and joint problems, so a rough ride is quite difficult for him.  He never goes off road.

The crankshaft is the same one found in NSX 1st gens. It’s Independent Rear Suspension naturally reduces payload. The latest ones have torque vectoring rear differentials. Unique truck for sure.

Not really a real truck, i would recommend getting a chevy or ford or dodge diesel if hes going to tow an RV. if hes planning on living in it, just lol. I would hate to try to fit my life in a tiny truck like that

My friend is thinking of getting this partly because he has arthritis and needs a smooth ride. I haven't driven many trucks, but they do seem to "float" on the road a lot, at least the bigger ones. Or else slam bam on it. Or, weirdly, both. He is partly interested because of his condition. Additionally, it is not too high, so he can get in now and hopefully will be able to if his mobility declines.

Anyway, it's his thing and his choice. He seems pretty enthused about it. He likes the in-built stuff in the bed, too.

Thanks for the feedback and the links, all. Much appreciated and I will pass them along.

angelmander said:
Not really a real truck, i would recommend getting a chevy or ford or dodge diesel if hes going to tow an RV. if hes planning on living in it, just lol. I would hate to try to fit my life in a tiny truck like that

Actually he is kind of thinking of living in it.  I don't see much difference between trucks in that regard.  It's extreme no matter how you slice it.

I have a Chevy Colorado 4 x 4 crew cab and for me it rides smoothly and I love driving it long distance. I sleep in the cab when traveling, using a platform from NotelUSA that is secured at handholds and headrests on passenger side. With a memory foam topped trifold mattress I sleep comfortably. I am not fulltime, so this may get old quick once I try to live out of the truck.

Thanks, Grace. He is thinking of living in the back seat too. Maybe something like you are talking about would be good for him. He's pretty short, so he doesn't need to sleep in the bed and might be more comfy in a nice insulated cab with radio, lights already built in, etc.