Honda Odyssey Camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomh

Reaction score
I just bought a 2006 Honda Odyssey that I want to make into a part time camper, to test the waters before going all in on the camper life. At this point I need to be able to switch between a standard minivan setup during the week, and a camper on the weekends. The first item I want to tackle is privacy, does anyone have a recommendation for curtain material and fasteners? The next area relates to flooring, when I remove the seats it is definitely not a smooth surface, there are numerous bumps, hooks and crevices. I was thinking of building a raised platform, maybe 2" high, in four pieces for easy removal, and then covering this with some rubberized material. The last thing I want to do immediately is make a screen for the sunroof to keep the bugs out at night. I feel this would give me a basic foundation for my camper and I could go from there. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. Also, if anyone would like to help, I would be happy to pay a reasonable fee, provide free parking and a spare bedroom to stay in, in the beautiful Bay Area (San Jose). Thanks, Tom

For privacy I'd just get Reflectix, cut it a little large and compression fit it into the window frame. It's cheap, simple and will really cool the rig in the summer. Either paint or use glue to apply black fabric to one side and reverse it at night for privacy. It'll just look tinted.

For a long term build you want a raised bed, just enough for a little storage under it. But in the short term just to take trips in to see if you like it, I'd consider a Thermarest pad, it's insulated and if you get one 3 inches thick so it will eliminate those rough spots. I'm using a Thermarest Mondo King as my only mattress--love it, I add or let out air until my back tells me how much it loves me!

For the sunroof, get no-seeum netting, cut it a couple inches bigger than the roof, fold duct tape over the edge so it won't poke you or scratch the car, use magnets to hold it on over the duct tape. I'm not a fan of the rare earth metal ones, I recommend ceramic about 1 inch by 3/4 inch.
Bob

Thanks for the advise, it is really helpful, I'll let you know how it goes.

I am in a Previa minivan. I use reflectix in the Windows to keep heat (day times)and streetlights (night) out of the van. In a city I rely on ambient light at night to get set up for bed and have learned that people really can't see in unless I am right under a bright street light.

On the floor I have two layers of carpet that came with the van so that works for flooring.

For sleeping I use a hammock. See

I've done the part-time mini van camper thing, I used a folding cot with a pad on top. This left room for a ice chest in the far back parallel to the cot. The chest top doubled as a table top, you can keep the cot folded when not in use for extra space. This set up worked really well as a part-time camper. The biggest pain was taking the passenger seats in an out, 90's Dodge mini van. The newer Dodges have the stow and go seating which would be ideal for part-timing.

akrvbob said:
For privacy I'd just get Reflectix, cut it a little large and compression fit it into the window frame. It's cheap, simple and will really cool the rig in the summer. Either paint or use glue to apply black fabric to one side and reverse it at night for privacy. It'll just look tinted.

For a long term build you want a raised bed, just enough for a little storage under it. But in the short term just to take trips in to see if you like it, I'd consider a Thermarest pad, it's insulated and if you get one 3 inches thick so it will eliminate those rough spots. I'm using a Thermarest Mondo King as my only mattress--love it, I add or let out air until my back tells me how much it loves me!
Bob

So the OP started with a "Honda Odyssey... At this point I need to be able to switch between a standard minivan setup during the week, and
a camper on the weekends. "

That's about the size of Summing it up. - But ... there's NO way you can COVER the windows ?? as they are necessary to drive SAFEly. (be dead before I got out of the driveway...)

So we have a cheap IKEA bed, similar to this ((oops, picture got corrupted )) room for lotsa underneath Storage,

but the Minivan can only hold a 4 by 8 feet sheet of plywood. I know because transported two of them inside it already.
so
we also have both a Monkey Ward little freezer, plus a Sanyo little fridge. BUT there's NO room for either, inside a Honda Odyssey.

Ah, maybe forget those contraptions, & instead use that underneath Storage space laterally with frozen waterbottles tucked in container.
OR in the hole in the far back, That as well DEcreases how much solar would be needed, right ?
=======
Yeah but to change all that out every week would be a pain. - So how about making the bed-space narrowER (leave in the middle), so
you can still cart wood in there, or some other things on either side. - Hey you experts ;) Would all those work ?

oh you ask, What about room for passengers during the week. Where will they sit?
Heck, just strap them on Roof of the minivan........................... They will be nice & cool, & have the best views, lol

Either passengers or dwelling.

Concurrent cargo, depends on the size and design.

Components that are light and easily removable are key to the OP idea.

IMO you need good design and maker skills for that, and materials like aluminum and composites.

If you use plywood and 2x4s, probably easier to get two separate vans.