Selling my car and buying van timing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malkmus

Reaction score
Planning on getting to Quartzite area around mid-September or early October and say out there for the winter.  I live in the rust belt so don’t really want to buy a van from here because we have lots of vehicle rust here.  Figure vans with most of their lives in the southwest will have no rust and in better shape.

I have a very reliable 2006 Honda car worth 5k and imagine easier to sell here near the big city but then I’d be relegated to buy a van here (frame rust) or fly to AZ and try to buy something there within days with your help. It would be easier to sell car and buy van while I’m still in a home, I’d have a way to sleep in the van on the travel, and could take some things with me. Thoughts?

If you are used to a reliable fuel efficient Honda and plan to buy a van for less than $5,000 as you will need an emergency fund I think you will be disappointed. The mini vans HOWA were fixing up were at least $3,000 before Covid 19 caused prices to almost double. I think you will need a lot more cash if you plan on getting a full size van less than 20 years old and with less than 200,000 miles. Anything that old with that many miles under $5,000 isn't going to stay reliable with out lots more money from an emergency fund.

Also I’m realizing this all might happen in less than 4 weeks as my home is selling faster than I thought so I’m more eager to get lots of advice ASAP.

I am guessing putting say $7-12k toward a van but am willing to put as much as $20k upfront if needed.  Would love to buy something really cheap initially but might get killed monthly with repairs that could end up costing more than having bitten the bullet and putting much more cash upfront and having less repairs and less worry.  I don’t like worrying.  It will be a different thread to decide mini van, cargo, box truck, etc. as this thread just to hear advice on my current car.

Like everyone I’d like to spend the money wisely.  I’m just trying to figure out to keep my current car, drive it to AZ, sell it there and buy a van in AZ. Or sell my current car now, buy a van in the Midwest where I live, then drive it out west.

Your chances of finding a buyer for your car and a van to replace it are better in a large market. All the towns along the Colorado River, whether in Arizona or California, are rather small. Quartzsite is tiny when the snowbirds aren't there, and when they are there not many are looking to buy cars. So if you want a van that has lived in the desert, your best options are Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas and Southern California in sort of the Palm Springs-Los Angeles-San Diego triangle. (If you buy in California you'll pay a lot more sales tax and registration.)

Selling one vehicle and buying another without either a time gap between the two or owning two vehicles at once is really tricky. It means having a buyer the same time you find the right replacement vehicle, and then having neither the buyer or seller flake out on you. And finding a good van depends on what happens to be for sale at the time.

To get an idea of what's available in the Southwest, to compare age, mileage, condition and price check something like Facebook Market for those desert cities. And check what Hondas like yours are going for.

Qsite in mid-September or early October - people differ, but Qsite is likely to be still hotter than I'd like. November is better.

As others have noted, it can be quite a trick to sell a car and buy a van in the same day. If you have cash coming in, I'd wait on selling your car until you have the van in hand, and have had it long enough to assess whether it needs serious work. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]IME, it is far easier to sell a car, especially a used Honda in good condition, than it is to to find a used van worth buying. So my advice would be to hang onto the car until you have the van in hand. [/font]

And - if you haven't done a fair amount of camping, I'd suggest buying a used mini-van to start. That way, if you discover you really don't like camping - and it happens, believe me - you still have a reasonable daily driver.

Enjoying camping is not a question of which vehicle you own. If you like it, you will like it regardless of the vehicle. And if you don't like it, the vehicle can make it less onerous, but - you still won't like it!

I would drive my current car and tent camp a few weeks and get a feel for the market and how different vehicles work for different needs by seeing what others have done. Be aware others drive vehicles from other parts of the country to sell just as you will be doing. Have anything you find checked by a mechanic before buying.

I slept in my 79 Honda Civic at spring party however I was just there for the beer...mmm beer....

WWBD.

What Would Bob Do?

Well I'm not sure what Bob would do, but what *I* would do is look at very tiny teardrop campers and/or motorcycle pop-up tent campers that you can pull with that good old reliable Honda.

Buy one used (and locally if possible) for $1000-$3000 bucks more or less, or new from $3000 to $6000, hitch up, and head west. If you are ready to call it quits in a few months, you can sell the trailer and be back to square one. Or if you really end up wanting a van, trade it all in at the local 'We Tote The Note' car dealership and get a van or minivan. On your timeline, or when the prices stabilize, if they ever do. 

Well...that's what I would do, in your situation. Good luck.

Why not drive your Honda out west, find a decent van, and set the Honda up as a tow vehicle (toad)? At least temporarily.

Since you're going to be in quartzite for a bit that'll give you time to build out the van and make sure it's in tip top mechanical condition, while giving you cheap transportation into town or whatnot for supplies or sightseeing even.

When you feel you're all set up you can sell the Honda. Best of both worlds since it's not a financial crunch in your situation.