HONDA fit

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carniemel

Reaction score
Hello, I live in my Honda Fit for the last year and my tent 4 years before that! I have a wonderful set up believe it or not :) recently got a folding 100w Rockpal solar panel with a portable battery bank and I’m looking to get a small fridge-ice chest for my car would like suggestions from anybody who has one in their car and at the same time is living in their car because you know room is important!

Carniemel, I'm REALLY interested in some "tent tales". Please relate your history.

You can approach it the way I had to for fitting a fridge into an area with space restrictions. Measure the space and then shop for a fridge that fits into that space.

I ended up with only two options. I had a tight height restriction because I wanted my fridge on a pull out rack under the counter but over the wheel well. One of the choices was an Engel 17, the other the Alpicool. Fortunately I came across a used Engel hiding behind the brand name Norcold and it only cost $100.00 more than the Chinese Alpicool. So of course I went for the lightly used Engel as it is one of the better makes of portable fridges and uses very little in the way of electricity.

Having a good defined set of criteria such as the size limitations, weight limitations, and electrical consumption narrows down the choices. It is good to have at least two options but when there are lots of choices use a decision tree format or spread sheet columns to narrow down it to the one best choice.

So you have two restriction criteria, one is size and the other is power consumption. Perhaps you also have a budge criteria. I don't need to know your budget. I am just saying those are important questions in your decision tree that need to be answered with a yes it works, or a no that unit is no longer on the list of candidates.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

You have my admiration, as a Honda Fit is my driving vehicle. I can't imagine living in it!
Look forward to seeing what fridge works for you.