Homeless videos

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanC

Reaction score
I just saw another one of those videos of people supposedly helping homeless people while video taping it and getting millions of views on Youtube.  There are so many of them out there and they all get shared around and become viral.  This is the forth I've seen this week, shared on Facebook.
There is even a van dweller who does videos who tired his hand at giving a couple bucks to a homeless man to get views.  Fortunately that one got lots of "d****bag" comments (as he often does)
Another was completely acted - even the homeless guy was acting (obviously)
The one I saw today had a mother in a restaurant prodding her reluctant kid to take her plate of food to a man on the sidewalk - while she filmed it, of course. Had over a million and a half views.
This has passed the point of using desperate people for financial gain. It's not heartwarming - just sad.

Genuine is lacking... Some people's agenda is misplaced. I watch youtube to get away from tv drama and the like. YT is similarly laced.

I am surprised the guy constantly begging at my local supermarket doesn't have a gofund me or youtube channel. All he needs is a thousand or so patrions.

CautionToTheWind said:
Genuine is lacking... Some people's agenda is misplaced. I watch youtube to get away from tv drama and the like. YT is similarly laced.

I wonder when it started - maybe with the 'reality shows'.  Start out with the end result you were looking for and if you can't find enough to make it interesting, just make it up.  I think we are living in a make belief world.  How many photographs are enhanced or edited? With a click, just about anyone can airbrush their faces or 'correct' color and resolution.  I admit, I do it myself - just about all the nature pictures I take, I enhance to make them better than the reality. Maybe we're living in 'generation fake', and technology gives us the means to do it. But the videos created to show one's altruism while making lots of money doing it, really take the cake. I don't know of anyone who actually does good deeds who films themselves doing it and uploads it to Youtube. I bet I give a higher percentage of my monthly budget to causes than Bill Gates - I just don't do national media tours to self-promote, every time I do it, and there are no tax benefits to mine.

We all know what really matters, is what we do when nobody is looking.

The first surprise welcome home videos I enjoyed, now it's all a set up. People call the TV news and announce their intentions. I'm always happy the person made it home okay, but keep it personal, not a public display.

Rob

it's just narcissism 'looka me, I deserves attention'

ArtW said:
it's just narcissism 'looka me, I deserves attention'

Hey!  Andy Warhol promised me I could be famous for 15 minutes, and goddammit, I want what's coming to me!

On the other hand - the curse of being a Gemini, I always see both sides of almost every issue - arrange to show up unexpectedly at your kids basketball game when the tv cameras are there, and you've created a special memory that kid will remember the rest of his life, much more so than any private homecoming.

"Genuine is lacking... Some people's agenda is misplaced."

Many people these days can't tell the difference. The big push in 'educating' the millennials was not to teach learning, but to give them 'high self-esteem' (which can't be bestowed), and now they think they are the center of the universe. Pretty pathetic.

Latest posts