holiday plans 2013

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twokniveskatie

Reaction score
So what is everyone doing for the holidays? Thanksgiving? Solstice? Hannukah? Christmas? Ya have people to gather with? Special plans or celebrations? Wanna share them?

I always have to work during the major holidays.... July 4, Christmas and New Years. And I am usually getting ready to work at Thanksgiving. I sell fireworks during these holidays so it is fun work even if I don't get to hang out with friends and family. It is also why I could never make it to an RTR... they always seem to be scheduled during this time. That is beside the fact they are all mostly either far west or east coast.

I'm about half ready to drive, heading south Saturday (Grandfather & vehicles willing) to work in NC next week but arrive at my younger daughter's place in SC before Thanksgiving. I'll be in and around there 'til after Christmas. Older daughter and her family will join us for both holidays.
- Gypsy Jane

Hubby and I are taking our little Class C out for Thanksgiving ... first to visit my cousins in Southern California on the 23rd, then to spend Thanksgiving Day with John's family in WA State. We'll be hunkered down in our sticks-and-bricks for December before I head out, solo, for the warmer southwest and the RTR.

Campfires, beer, charred (but with that backcountry woodsmoke flavour) grub, and metal detecting. Those are MY plans.. short 'n sweet. ..Willy.

Ill probably be working. I know even if i have to buy one for myself i will be having pumpkin pie on thanksgiving :p

Giving my daughter away on Nov.23rd and then "boondocking" in their front yard until Dec. 1st. I will be able to spend Thanksgiving with all 3 of my daughters. I plan on either going to Ocala NF or TX. for the winter after that.

Watch out Stargazer, we may find each other hiding behind the same bush. Holidays, although nice are stressful for me. PTSD comes in many forms for many reasons. I will be amongst my friends here though.
Dragonfly

I always hike alone - Thanksgiving I'm thinking of spending in the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest near Holbrook. Perhaps Organ Pipe or Tucson for Christmas.

We will stay home and cook a small dinner for just the two of us abd watch DVDs. I get Turkey Day and Christmas Day off. My daughter (single fulltimer who is 150 miles away) is working on organizing a BYO (Buy Your Own) Orphan's Dinner at a local restaurant. It's a neat concept... everyone buys what they can afford/want, no cooking, no cleanup and you meet new people. They might be strangers before the meal, new friends after the meal.

I'll be in Asheville until my daughter's birthday at the end of November, then I'm taking off for points south. Asheville is just too cold for a van with no insulation. I'm hoping to make it to the RTR in January. So get ready, all you mechanically experienced people for a bijillion questions.

Thanksgiving with my sister's family in DC then south to escape the cold. Christmas by ourselves in Florida but we welcome any vandwellers to come spend the day with us. We'll see if we can make a turkey dinner over a campfire - :)

Joey - if you're in Florida then come on over! I'll post where we are when we get settled.

Ella - I missed your introduction on your first post so better late than never - Welcome! I hope that you make it to Florida in time to join us for Christmas dinner.

Gonna be spending my first giftmas with both my mom and my brother since around 2007. Not terribly thrilled about my brother, but being with mom is nice.

TG with my daughter and her husband in SC then back home to FL and back up for Christmas with my son in GA. He'll be hosting in a new house they just had built. In between work work work.

I have relatives inviting me for dinner. But I'm rather tempted to just go out somewhere on a roadtrip instead of eating til I can't get off the dinner table chair to make it to a sofa to lounge around some more.

Katie, mucho yes! You're my new hero! I derive cyber pleasure from being the biggest one of all, haha! Casey

Latest posts