Hittin’ the road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lab_nomad

Reaction score
I finished up my travel job in Massachusetts at the end of May.  I was going to sell my house before taking another job, but it was stressing me out, so I decided to wait on that. I’m leaving tomorrow to drive across the country from Virginia to Idaho. It’s gonna be hot; I hope I’ll be able to sleep OK. I bought a battery operated fan to help me out. 

My plan was to not have a permanent house and just be in the van in between jobs, but I think I want to have a residence. I don’t want to stay in my house, though. I do want to sell it and then get an apartment closer to my family (in WV) because my mom’s having some memory issues. And that area is pretty economically depressed, so I should have lower housing costs than I do right now in Virginia (overpriced college town).

Wish me luck. I wasn’t able to get a curtain to separate the front and back, but I do have window covers for every window and I think I’ll be OK.

My assignment will be over in October, so driving back should be more pleasant, as should sleeping in the van.

I saw that Idaho has a lot of national forests. Once the weather cools down, I may check those out. I can’t remember of NF’s are free like BLM, or if they have fees.

If you get the chance check out Utah as well, by October you may want to take a more southernly route. I 70 is one of the shorter ways for me to get to the Tri-State area. It wouldn't be uncommon to have snow in those parts in October, even West Virginia starts to get cool. Watch the weather and safe travels!

Wow.. what a great trip.

Your definitely going to see a lot and miss a lot. Try and go throught the east side of Yellowstone (Cody) and come the other side at Island Park in Idaho.

The museum in Cody is not to be missed.

If you need me to further plan your route just pm me..LOL

lab_nomad said:
I saw that Idaho has a lot of national forests. Once the weather cools down, I may check those out. I can’t remember of NF’s are free like BLM, or if they have fees.

Dispersed camping is always free, for both NF and BLM lands. Campgrounds may or may not have fees.

wow that is so cool you can end up in an area around your mom to help plus you get some time for traveling on the road between jobs......I hope it all works out well for you! Sounds like you got alot under good control.......safe travels and enjoy and use that fan :) some hot spots out there! whew

bullfrog said:
If you get the chance check out Utah as well, by October you may want to take a more southernly route. I 70 is one of the shorter ways for me to get to the Tri-State area. It wouldn't be uncommon to have snow in those parts in October, even West Virginia starts to get cool. Watch the weather and safe travels!

Good idea to go south on the way back. Thanks!

jacqueg said:
Dispersed camping is always free, for both NF and BLM lands. Campgrounds may or may not have fees.

Thanks! I'll remember that now.

desert_sailing said:
Wow.. what a great trip.

Your definitely going to see a lot and miss a lot. Try and go throught the east side of Yellowstone (Cody) and come the other side at Island Park in Idaho.

The museum in Cody is not to be missed.

If you need me to further plan your route just pm me..LOL

LOL. Thanks for the suggestions.

RoamerRV428 said:
wow that is so cool you can end up in an area around your mom to help plus you get some time for traveling on the road between jobs......I hope it all works out well for you!  Sounds like you got alot under good control.......safe travels and enjoy and use that fan :)  some hot spots out there! whew

Yes, it is hot! This fan is working well. Says it lasts 40 hours on one set of batteries. Should make it to my destination without having to replace them.

I'm at a CB off of I65 between Louisville and Indianapolis. Looks like it's just me and one other car. I feel safe. I pulled in at a Pilot earlier, but it was too small and I got a bad vibe. 

Sleeping in the van is fun! I've had some glitches, which are probably inevitable, but this is so cool!

I had my first truck stop shower today. Very nice. I had a coughing fit and ended up pissing myself.

I think I'll have 1000 miles in by end of day. I'm making good progress.

It's amazing how different the states are from each other.

I had my first truck stop shower today. Very nice. I had a coughing fit and ended up pissing myself.

I think I'll have 1000 miles in by end of day. I'm making good progress.

It's amazing how different the states are from each other.
Did you have your coughing fit before or after the shower? LoL!!