High cost above $20000

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroad

Reaction score
So am looking at various blogs from folks doing camping. Lots of nice rigs. But the theme seems to be big expense for 4x4 camping.

Example: cummins diesel pickup is at least $10k to $20k just for the truck. Then add $10k for some camper on the back.

Looked at a VW vanigen 4x4 and they are all over $20k price.

Is there anything available in a 4x4 camping vehicle under $10000 in grand total price?

I'm referring to the slide in truck campers that are available for $3-5K. They can be put in any pickup...2wd or 4wd. Then that would give you $5-7K to spend on a used truck.

I agree with slow2day. Budget $2-$4 K for a small camper and $6-$8 K for the truck. That shouldn't be a big problem. It probably won't get you a diesel unless you are willing to go with an older 7.3 Ford. But I think you are better off with a gas engine anyway. I think I'd look for a F350 Ford with a V10. A dually would be your best choice I think.
Bob

I'll sell ya my 35 ft revcon trailblazer for 10k, needs massive amounts of work on interior but engine is good, and is a 35ft long 4x4 (actually 4x6 lifted monster truck rv). If your interested hit me with a PM.

I see older Quigley and Pathfinder 4x4 vans go for 2-5K all the time.

Yeah the problem you're going to encounter is that if you start cheap you'll inevitably get expensive. I bought my 03 Taco DC for about $14k and it was worth every penny.

Add custom topper +$5,500
Add Autohome RTT +$5,000
Add suspension lift +$4,000
Add new AT tires +$1,250

See where this is going? Previously I owned and lived out of a 1995 4Runner. Beyond some tires and a cheap lift (found parts at a wrecking yard) I spent very frugally on this truck. The sleeping compartment I built for myself, including storage wells and a water tank. I even got the roof top box second hand on Craig's list. But, by way of comparison, it was no overlander and there were plenty of places I would never have taken it that I happily roll over in my current rig.

The older the vehicle, the cheaper it's going to be. The older the vehicle, the higher the likelihood it will need expensive repairs sooner.

There's probably some optimum point in a vehicles life-cycle for buying it.

I suspect it's around 5 to 6 years old, with maybe 50 to 60 thousand miles on the odometer. You'll probably get another hundred thousand miles of travel from it, mostly trouble free, and somebody else has already taken the major depreciation hit on it.

Regards
John