Hi!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jl75

Reaction score
New to the board here and thought I'd introduce myself. My name's Julie and I am a part time van dweller and part time tent camper. I'm from Texas, but I am currently tent camping at Berlin Lake in Ohio.  I have a Dodge Caravan that serves my purposes well enough and I am addicted to travel.  I took a solo 48 state road trip some years ago and it has been difficult to stay in one spot for any length of time ever since.

Bob, I read your book on my Kindle app and it was very helpful and insightful!

I have a small but regular source of income so I am blessed in that regard. It is small though, so I do everything on a budget.  I plan to be in Niagra Falls in a couple weeks, spend time with some family in Manhattan in September, and then head south to Texas in November.  By December the plan is to go to Miami... And hopefully ring in the New Year at Bayfront Park with Pitbull  :p 

That's the general itinerary anyway but we will see... Vandwelling can be unpredictable as I'm sure you fellow travelers know!

To those thinking of jumping into travel but haven't yet... If you can afford it, do it. It will push you to your limits and change you completely.  But be warned, once you do, you will never want to go back  :)

I hope everyone is enjoying their evening and having safe travels.  Glad to be here!  :)

Julie

Welcome to the CRVL forums Julie! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Glad you found us !
Chime in with any questions you might have or help answer someone with something you know about.

;)

If you are going to be in upstate NY and going to NYC and want to bypass the NYS thruway tolls, take the free roads thru the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

It's a little-known fact that FREE 7 day dispersed camping is offered in the state forests of Pennsylvania. but you have to pull a permit in person at the forest HQ.

Right down the road from my summer home is the HQ of Loyalsock State Forest just north of the county seat of Laporte (population 310) on the main road US220. The forest surrounds the summer cottages of the eclectic and bourgeois borough of Eagles Mere http://www.eaglesmere.org/ which is just the opposite of the madness we now call the eastern Poconos.

More camping info and detailed maps are located here> http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/stateforests/loyalsock/

d_000816.jpg

I appreciate the welcome guys! Checked out the tips and tricks and read the rules... But if I make a newbie mistake please let me know :) Glad to have found this site!

Well I'm sorry i missed you! It's a beautiful area. Highs in the mid 80s, lows in the mid 50s... You couldn't ask for much better in August!

Really glad I'm not back in Houston right about now ;)

Welcome to the forums.
That's about the temp range here in Maine right now.
Maybe you can tell us about some places for winter camping around Houston?

Spring Creek Park in Tomball is a great one! Electric hookups, showers, and completely free :) The only downside is the tent sites are a bit of a walk from the parking lot. There's only 3 sites, and there is a 7 day limit, but they reservable.

There's a place in the parking lots, across from the tent sites, for rvs but I don't know how many there are or much about those. I've only ever been there in a tent.

It is a gem of a place! Other than that I'd recommend the Sam Houston National Forest... Beautiful area :)

Now who can tell me about places to park or camp near Miami or Homestead? ;) If like to be in south Florida for all of December and January, but I know it's going to be a challenge! I've been thinking of browsing Craigslist

Sorry... Hit send on accident lol... But thinking of finding someone on Craigslist and offering them 100-200 a month to park in their driveway. But maybe there are better options, I just don't know...