Hi, I'm new here and need help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thestuffnomad

Reaction score
I've been stealth sedan-camping near Seattle for a year and three months with basically no help or community. I learn what I can from youtube videos, but I haven't been able to find a tutorial for this problem I have. 

For the longest time I kept my passenger seat in the car. Eventually it was doing such a number on my back and neck that I decided to get rid of it. I made a very makeshift "bed" for myself out of some storage boxes, some pillows, and a sleeping bag, all sitting along the passenger side and backseat. It still sucks and I'm now seeing a chiropractor to get my spine back to normal. Problem is, if my bed is still shit, it's likely to negate any effort I make to repair my spine. 

So, I'm here to try and reach out for help because I don't know where else to go. I'm a 23-year-old male, always been very poor, parents didn't know jackshit about carpentry, construction, etc, and I wish I'd taken a woodshop class back in high school, because I have no idea what I have to do in this scenario, except for knowing that I need a flat surface + cushioning to sleep on. 

Is anyone able to help? I'd really appreciate it. I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

Maybe you can find a piece of plywood cut to size, and an old couch bottom cushion to make a bed out of. You might try a second hand furniture store or check a few garage sales.

Or, go by a small local upholstery shop (or two) and ask if they have some scraps of foam that you can have for free or very cheap.

And good luck.

The plywood will help a lot. You can get it cut for free or cheaply for a couple cuts at Home Depot, Lowes; you just need right size figured. I also like a wedge pillow more than a reg pillow. Walmart has one for $20

My chiropractor suggested a massage right before the adjustment. He recommended a person. After the chiropractor moved to help with USA ski team training in UT, I kept up with the massage as it kept the back and neck mobile but I'm old.

Read some of Bob Wells story, the Kindle Book is a couple bucks and you can read on a phone. He went from nearly bankrupt (my words) and kept working his way to a better place by being very frugal and working at his job every day.

I have lived in cars, like you, in stealth in Michigan. You can layer cardboard to make a level bed over an uneven surface by building up the low spots, and it is warm and comfortable. You only need a sharp knife to cut it, so it is easy. No need to be a carpenter. You can overnight in a shelter as you can keep your stuff safe in your car while you sleep in a bed. That of course is a last resort. I volenteer at homeless shelters and food kitchens as much as I can. Shelters will let you toilet and shower even if you are not sleeping there. Being able to completely lay straight will help a lot when sleeping. If you find a minivan you can afford, it will be a wise move up. I too came from poverty, and I know the struggle. Keeping yourself and your clothes clean will be a big help to yourself. I call it urban camping. Shelters can help you find work, if you need work. I would not tell anyone where I park even if they ask. There are a lot of good people out there, and I like the people I meet, I hope you will too.

Stealth camping is very uncomfortable for me. Luckily, you seem to have the knack for it, except for the bed. 

I liked the suggestion to use cardboard to build up an even surface and then a larger sheet to cover it all over. You may be able to find materials at the Habitat for Humanity Restore. 

I hope you can work out a comfortable bed. You are right in that it is important to be able to lay flat and be comfortable. 

All the very best for your back.

Thanks for all your advice guys.

I've thought about the plywood + foam idea a lot. My only issue with that is (again, I really don't know what I'm doing) getting the right measurements. I have a tape measure, but the space I need to measure obviously isn't flat or rectangular, so I just have a feeling I'm going to mess up on the measurements and get stuck with a piece of wood that doesn't fit, or is too tiny. 

Maybe I'm just being too anxious? Or if anyone can point me to a good video for this, that'd probably help a lot.

Go to an appliance store and see if you can get a big cardboard box that refrigerators come in.  Cut the cardboard to fit.  Either take measurements from that or take the template to have the plywood cut.  You might have to do it in two pieces if the cardboard isn't long enough.

Your bed is important so you need to get this right.  I did this bed for two years in a Subaru Forester.  Get a couple of plastic bins to build up where the passenger seat was; storage + support for the top of your bed.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums.   :) 

Sounds like some rough going for sure.

I could see you graduating to a Van as soon as you could afford one. 
In it you could have a small room for a bed, kitchenette, and a little privacy.

So let me offer you to look at my two websites below.  One is about setting up
a Van as a rolling home and the other is a portal of handy things to know about.
Like a Swiss Army Knife of handy info for a traveler.  

Hope it provides some ideas and comforts for you.

your going to have to make your bed flat or awful close. A cardboard template will get the irregular top surface of your wood as close as you want to make it