Hi. I need HELP PLEASE!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzmarti66

Reaction score
Please help me!!  I am a 68 year old solo woman,  Nomad Newbie and have been driving for seven days.  Today I am in Benson, AZ and I need to find a place to boondock free and HOPEFULLY meet other Nomads!!  I cannot do real high elevation like in Flagstaff, AZ.  I have spent too much if my budget money driving places and not able to cook.  I really do not want to give up so soon, but I need help.  THANK YOU

Bunch of sites in area along road

31.939523,-109.960781

31.903576,-110.039034

Council rocks

Dispersed sites, No water, No toilets, Open all year, Tent & RV camping: Free, Elev: 4928ft ~ 1502m, Nearest town: St David, State: AZ

Westside of tucson

Snyder Hill Dispersed - BLM
Dispersed sites, No water, No toilets, Open all year, Tent & RV camping: Free, Stay limit: 14 days, Elev: 2493ft ~ 760m, Nearest town: Tucson, State: AZ
GPS: 32.158031,-111.115385

Find two aluminum cans and cut the bottoms off. Stuff cotton balls inside and push them together. Take a pin and push holes around perimeter of one side can bottom and put 4 holes in center. Pour rubbing alcohol in. Light can, let it get hot and put a penny over center holes. You have a stove.

First, congratulations on making that long trek! That's a genuine achievement. :)

You can help us to help you by providing more info, please.

It sounds like you arrived much earlier than "normal", and it's too dang hot.
Is that the core problem?
The huge temperature extremes in a vehicle is one of the things that has been roughest for me, and I suspect most.
It's not you, it really is difficult.

Did you stay at Walmarts/etc on your journey?
If so, can you continue to do that at night?
One temporary option is to spend your days in public buildings like Libraries.
In your intro, you mentioned PTSD, so public places may not be viable. :( Only you truly know what your limits/constraints are.
Once things have cooled down, more dwellers & snowbirds will have arrived, and you'll have more of an in person support network. :)

Can you share with us what type of vehicle you're in, what core equipment you have, and roughly what experience/practice you did before launch?
For example, do you have some sort of camper cookstove, and are you comfortable using it? If yes, is it TooDangHot to use it?

Finances:
Are you receiving Social Security, and do you have at least one credit card?
If so, then it sounds like you're "ok", just stressed by short-term high travel expenses.
It sounds like your food costs are temporarily high.
There's several here who are fonts of frugal food info, so we can help. :)

Please do update us, and help us understand your situation more.
Virtual hug to you! :)

If you are still in Benson head north on 10 to 191 n to Safford, it's about 80 miles from you. The temps are in the 80's daytime to 60's nites. There are lots of boondocking places around there. There's a Wal Mart in Safford and they allowed overnites the last time I was there. Keep us updated on your condition. I'm in Yuma and southern Az. is very hot this time of the year. We hear the desperation in your plea, understand there are fine people more than willing to help you here.

Very well said, Brother Owl, and awesome local knowledge info! :) :) :)

Just got off the highway, so brain has been twirling at this problem for the last few hours.
mzmarti66: Please pardon my assumptions (above & next) if they don't fit your situation (I figure you may be reading this, but may have difficulty replying).

Quick Frugal Food Tips, when stuck in Urban areas with no Cooking ability:
1. Taco Bell's value menu
This is my favorite frugal road food. A buck for some very filling and not-too-horrible meals!
On the breakfast menu, the "Grilled Breakfast Burrito" is usually a buck (some stores are higher), and comes in 3 varieties including one Vegetarian. :)
On the post-breakfast menu, the Cheesy Rice & Beans Burrito comes in at 400 calories, is very filling, and has generally healthy components.
The other high-calorie (i.e. maximum value ratio) item is the Beefy Fritos Burrito, which is 430 calories, extremely addictive and some majorly unhealthy components. It is comfort food, which has some morale value. :) I rarely buy them, but did today for dinner, after buying a Cheesy Rice & Beans Burrito for brunch. They were my first TacoBell meals in over 4 months, and a frugal treat. :)

Always ask if they have a Seniors Discount. In my experience, TacoBell is the most consistent of the fast food places, when it comes to Senior Discounts.

2. other fast food restaurant dollar menus
The rest are more of a mixed bag.

3. Grocery store "ready to eat" items
The absolute cheapest is ramen, rehydrated with room temperature water. Leave it for an hour or so, and it'll be ok. Think of it as very "al dente". Cup-o-noodles are similar, but have some veggies, rehydrate much better with unheated water, and come with that handy reuseable cup. :)
Generic canned pasta runs around 60 to 90 cents per can.
Generic granola/oatmeal bars are often on sale (I particularly like high fiber ones, for health reasons).

Most of those are all "meh" health-wise, but I'm assuming you're in a temporary bind, and just need to cut corners until your next SSA check comes thru.

When it was particularly hot this summer, many times I'd wake up, fill a Cup-o-noodles with water, quickly eat a granola/oatmeal bar, then 1-4 hours later eat the noodles. I'd then break up a ramen brick and put it into the empty cup, add some dehydrated veggies and water, and a few hours later eat that for dinner. It may sound terrible, but it was quite satisfying, and perfect for hot weather.
I'd supplement with a single dollar store size Snickers-Almond bar (i.e. 6 for a buck), largely for morale. :)

That's how I was able to keep my food expenses under $3/day (the above is well under $2, but I'd usually alternate it with better food quality days).

THANK ALL OF YOU !!!! This is exactly why I wanted to be a Nomad and meet others because it seems there is a culture of generous kindness and caring that I never experienced in the big city I just left !!! You have all given me hope and now I don't feel like I have done everything wrong! I am traveling in my 2012 Chevy Equinox SUV. I have planned for this for almost two years, but kind of was given an earlier "push" than what I was planning. I do have enough food until my Social Security comes in next month and I will make do. I was heading East to go back where my children/grandchildren would Welcome me, back after all of your show of caring and encouragement, I turned back around from Rudioso, NM and I am retracing my travels back to Arizona where, someday, I hope to meet up with other Nomads!!! May God Bless all of you!!!!!

I am SO glad to see this mzmarti! Very happy to hear that you have what you need to get to your original stopping place :)

Do pop in once in a while and let us know your progress. Those of us that haven't left yet are the cheerleaders, and those good ol' souls already out there have all the magical knowledge to get you where you need to be.

Big old hugs to ya!

Remember go north for cooler weather in Az. Need to talk, vent, question we're all here.

I will verify the pop can penny stove will cook well. A bottle of 90% or better rubbing alcohol works as fuel.

If it's location you're worried about. We cook at any rest stop or pull off we feel secure at. We use a one burner bottle top stove for quick coffee and a coleman double burner for meals. Never had an issue.

We cook right out the back of the trailblazer under the rear hatch, weather permitting we eat at the rest stop under benches. Foul weather we eat in the front seat while juggling our dogs.

Use this forum or something "like " free campsites.net to find places in your area to stay and recoup.

We've met, swapped tips, shared a drink, been met by, fed, and been fed by several different couples over our time on the road.

Please don't be shy when you have a question. Most people are full of helpful knowledge and are busting at the seams to share. One quick question about decent fishing grounds led to a 16 day stay in a couples loft.

You can do this.
When we had a difficult time we hunkered down in an inexpensive place to camp, loaded up on cheap food(chicken potatoes eggs )and waited for pay day. It was hard for us to remember we had nowhere to be, and no debts to pay payday. It was like being able to start over once a month if we made mistakes.

Everyone likes to tell their story, sorry for dropping mine.

Moral of the story, its doable. The freedom, experiences, people and sites are worth it. There are many here more than willing to help even if you're just wanting company or encouragement.

I wish you the best!
Mason

WOW!

“ It was hard for us to remember we had nowhere to be, and no debts to pay payday. It was like being able to start over once a month if we made mistakes“

I absolutely love this and will be using this thought process from here on out.

Thank you Skyman

Maybe one of the caravans can scoop her up to keep an eye out for her when shes ready ?

Nuts are my no cooking standby protein meal for any and all meals or snacks. As long as you don't have nut allergies they will work. But be sure you get some fiber along with them as too many on their own can be constipating. I have nuts and dried fruits quite often for meals or snacks. Nutrition wise they are a great value as one ounce of nuts gives you lots of protein and essential minerals too. The fats in them satisfy hunger and give you energy, they are healthy fats! Salted nuts are good in the summer when you are loosing a lot of salt through sweating.

Try to find a local food bank. Do what you must to stay healthy. They are certainly very familiar with helping people who do not have cooking facilities.

Wondering how you are faring these days mzmarti66, and if you found a group to travel with?

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :)

I feel for you as I've met a lot of people over the years who took off on the road without a very clear plan.  Remember no one plans to fail,  they just fail to plan.  But with that said,  I've produced a solution for those in your situation and to try to prevent others from winding up in a situation like yours.  

Just below are two links.  The bottom one is a portal of handy information that could help you to overcome this situation now.  It is all free to anyone wishing to use it and use it all that they want. 

The trip planning section of links may be of the greatest benefit right now.  There are plenty of free camping sites that can be found that will buy you some time to find the boondooking area you are seeking now.  

All the best !