Hi Folks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatdarncat

Reaction score
I just joined the forum, Im 57 and looking to get out at 62 and buy my insurance for 3 years.
I have a travel trailer with all the stuff we all enjoy but I dont ever hardly use that stuff, sure I use the TV, toilet and shower, but I hardly use a microwave, stereo, heater etc.

I almost wished I never bought the travel trailer, instead I could have built and equipped a van or a truck camper ( since I already have the truck).

In hindsight it was a lot to pay for things that I could have easily worked around. For example, I could have built a truck camper like Mr. Wells has on this sight, put a hot water on demand unit on a shower tent and used a composting toilet to take care of my personal needs; a low decibel generator to run a small window unit AC and a mr buddy heater to take care of those colder days, and a 250 dollar propane campstove/oven combination.

In retrospect, I could have save a ton of cash that could have gone towards me retiring even earlier or paying for my health insurance costs between the ages of 62-65....yes I wished I had done my own build and saved that money to get me out of the workforce even sooner!

I guess I could always use my TT if I decide to have a retirement home base; just park it under one of those metal garage/awnings on a little patch of dirt somewhere...lol maybe that TT wont seem to be a big waste of cash afterall :rolleyes:

Welcome to the CRVL forums thatdarncat! Unless you're worried about resale value, it might make sense to remodel your trailer into a traveling home that fits you personally. Five years until retirement gives you a lot of time to plan and make decisions. Keep us updated!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

thatdarncat- you are way ahead of me, so alls not too bad ::)aybe you can sell your trailer and build what you want?

Hi That Darn Cat
Maybe my experience would be helpful.  I decided to spend some nights in my mini van before I spent the money on converting or replacing it. I went to a camp site for a night, slept in a Walmart two nights and parked at a rest stop a few nights. I'm glad I did as I discovered that van life wasn't for me. So I bought a 5th wheel that I keep in a park in Palm Springs area. It's a senior park and the rent is just under $400 a month. This park, like many others in the area, allows people to pay a small fee instead of full rent on the months that the trailers are stored. I will pay 8 months rent and the storage fee is just 45 bucks on the months that I'm gone.  Initially, I was going to keep my trailer in a Quartzsite park which was very nice and the rent was just $180 a month but I decided not to move to Arizona for a number of reasons. I love having a retirement home base and even if I decide to spend most of a year on the road, it is comforting to know that if I get ill or tired of traveling that I have a place to go back to. Plus it is easier I think to have a real mailing address. Of course you could sell your rig as someone else had suggested, but I would keep it in a storage place till I was sure that I didn't want to have a base. When I retire in March, I will take a month trip in my van to see how much I want to invest in converting it.  If I had enough funds, I would have a big, new stealth van or Pleasureway type RV and keep my trailer.  Anyway you have some years ahead to get what works best for you.

thatdarncat
welcome to the forum, how can we help?
casper

rvwandering said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums thatdarncat! Unless you're worried about resale value, it might make sense to remodel your trailer into a traveling home that fits you personally. 

I did this to my Aliner. I took out all the cushions it came with so I could have a permanently setup bed in the back with a real mattress (the thought of making up a bed every night out of couch cushions was decidedly unappealing) I reconfigured the front to work for one person and two goofy dogs. For me the biggest problem with an already built trailer is that they're designed for two or more people, then advertised "will sleep six" as though that's a good thing. :D I also needed to add a lot of storage. Again designed with weekends in mind not full time.

You have lots of time to figure it out. Best of luck to you!

Hi Jerilynn,
I guess I will probably do something like that, use the RV as a home base and burn the road up for most of the time. I thought about building a small retirement home on a dirt patch somewhere, but that would lock me in again to the home thing but with less expenses, so in retrospect no more stick built home stuff for me
I dont see myself in a van because of not being able to stand up...Im a short guy and I do need to look at hightops before I really rule anything out and its appealing that a van does offer the ability to park anywhere.
I really like a truck camper concept...I guess because I already have the truck and I dont see myself without one, so to buy a second vehicle like a van would only load up the expenses again in regards to taxes, insurance, maint. etc.
The home base really appeals to me, so I wonder should I incur the ongoing expense of rent a spot for the TT or simply find a cheap patch of land somewhere and pay the 200-300 a year in property taxes and cut the weeds down around my humble abode 6 times a year.

A home base sounds like a good idea at first, and could well be if you are unsure if you can make it on the road. Me personally after living in a crappy trailer park for over ten years is the main reason for leaving.
casper