Hi Everybody!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I have been lurking here on Bob's site for quite a while, in fact I believe I have read every article here. I just wanted to register to say how much I enjoy and appreciate his articles documenting the places he visits, especially the beautiful photos he takes.

As for me, I have been a fulltimer for 20 years. I currently reside in a '99 National, a 38-foot behemoth that costs $250 a day to operate on the road, so it's mostly parked. Thanks to my RV, I have been able to take a lot of contract jobs, I found that with the RV I can always find a job. However its vast size has kept me out of the nicest campgrounds. Also, when I retire in a few years, I will not be able to afford to operate it, hence I am planning on downsizing considerably.

I plan on going full boondocker just like Bob and many others. I am getting some fantastic ideas from this site on how to set up my next (much smaller) rig. I have replaced most of my appliances so I already know how to do that stuff. Also, I redesigned and installed a new DC power system because the old controller broke, and it was no longer built. The new system uses all discrete components, so if anything breaks, I can replace individual parts as needed.

I plan on moving into a van but I notice that a lot of the vandwellers still haul around trailers, so I'm getting a longer van with extra storage so I don't have to do that. One thing I plan on incorporating is a maintenance bay like I see on aircraft (I write aircraft maintenance manuals for a living). This I believe is critical to allow me to easily identify, access, and replace the things that break. The bay will contain electrical and environmental systems components that get heavy usage.

I have a lot of hobbies including hiking, reading, and music. I listen to headphones and have found them to be particularly functional in a mobile environment. I hesitated to register on this site because some folks here seem to be a little hostile towards RVers and I don't blame you at all, but please realize I started going broke in 2001 when all the tech jobs were shipped overseas, I am basically living payckeck to paycheck. I guess the only people getting well paid nowadays are the CEOs and they are making millions while the rest of us are just getting by.

So now I think you understand why I love this site and all the great folks on it especially Bob. Some day I hope to camp near Bob and have a beer with him even though I don't drink. In the meantime I will continue to read his amazing stories and see the stunning photos of places he has been, and live vicariously through him until I get up the nerve to do it myself.

Im new here also,Seems like a very nice site, welcome aboard,nothing wrong with rvers as far as i know..have a great one clay..

Hi Clay
Well , now that you've come in from the shadows please post some of your experiences from your fulltime life on the road.
There are others here with backgrounds in aviation and many others fields that can be helpful and interesting to us all.

I think your idea about incorporating a maintenance bay in your build will work out well !
My old class A rig (1976 Sportscoach 29') had an area like that with access from outside as well as inside.
I've been living on the road on a set of wheels in various forms , both large and small , since 1981.
I'm now in a 23' class C and may go smaller again in the future.

I've been on the forums for a few months now and haven't noticed anyone looking down on my rig choice.
I'm here to learn new things and contribute my own experiences , knowledge and encourage anyone that needs it to get into this lifestyle.
That's what makes a forum good IMO.

greg63 said:
Im new here also,Seems like a very nice site, welcome aboard,nothing wrong with rvers as far as i know..have a great one clay..

Thanks for the shout out Greg, I notice you are a vet from Mass, thanks for your service. I was USMC for 4 years (oo-rah!). No combat though, and that's fine with me, so no thanks are due. I lived in CT a while, I think maybe the winters are less harsh than in the midwest (I grew up in IL).

I don't think anybody has anything against RVs, except maybe the million-dollar ones. After all, it is "Cheap RV Living," says it all. I think maybe those RVs are not exactly aligned with the philosophy of this site which is small footprint.

Clay, even though you didn't see combat, You still earned the respect and thanks for your service. Thank you.

rvpopeye said:

Thank you Popeye I have read some of your posts and they are very informative. I am in awe of your extended road experience, and IMO a 23 footer might be the perfect length, although the extra height of the Class C may keep you out of some of the cozier spots. Still a better choice than mine though.

ZoNiE said:
Clay, even though you didn't see combat, You still earned the respect and thanks for your service. Thank you.

Thanks, I did OK in there but I couldn't wait to get out! Nothing makes you appreciate a low-paying civilian job like a low-paying military job.

I like your Skyline trailer, I see they still offer models without slide-outs. I never owned a slide-out that didn't leak or break or let in bugs. When I was in Miami, American cockroaches would come in through the bedroom slide-out. They are big (3-4 inches) and fast - really fast. One day one got under the covers with me, I woke up and spent an hour looking for him.

Clay,welcome to the CRVL forums! I sincerely hope there is no prejudice towards the big RVs here.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

I've just down sized from a Class C to a van. I get absolutely gleeful at getting rid of stuff!

Hi Clay!

I'm in a 28-1/2' Fleetwood Bounder, which, although a little smaller than yours, still really eats up the gas, and limits my access to the good campsites, so I totally get where you're coming from. I would really love to get into a Class B, or build out an extended Van with a bubble-top (except that I have NONE of the skills required to do so), and hope to make that happen by the end of this year, or the beginning of next.

Welcome to the group!!!

cyndi said:
Clay,welcome to the CRVL forums! I sincerely hope there is no prejudice towards the big RVs here. 

I've just down sized from a Class C to a van. I get absolutely gleeful at getting rid of stuff!

Sorry I didn't mean to complain on my first post, if anything I am a reformed big rigger who has seen the light. The rig is so expensive to operate that I hardly go anywhere, purchased at a time when I was much more optimistic about my job opportunities than I am now.

It is so hard to get rid of stuff, I must be one of those people on "Hoarders" because I just can't get rid of anything. There are some good posts on this site about this topic, and I will re-read them in the hopes they will sink in.

Nana4Twins said:
Hi Clay!  

I'm in a 28-1/2' Fleetwood Bounder, which, although a little smaller than yours, still really eats up the gas, and limits my access to the good campsites, so I totally get where you're coming from.  I would really love to get into a Class B, or build out an extended Van with a bubble-top (except that I have NONE of the skills required to do so), and hope to make that happen by the end of this year, or the beginning of next.  

Welcome to the group!!!

Thank you for making me feel so welcome. It's been my experience that most campsites are limited by length, and your Fleetwood is only 28' so that's pretty good. Seems like most of the best campgrounds were invented back when RVs were less than 30'. I love your bubble-top idea, that would be so cool.

Clay said:
It's been my experience that most campsites are limited by length, and your Fleetwood is only 28' so that's pretty good.

Oh, I'm planning to full-time boondock too, so between this monster and my toad, I'm always afraid to head down back roads for fear of getting stuck. Working as a camp host now, so the Class A is great to live in, and would also be okay for the Amazon Job in Texas this winter (assuming I get the transmission fixed), but after that, I've got to have my freedom! :)

Welcome Clay, we're glad you're here! As you've seen, all are welcome here--vandwelling is an attitude, not a choice of vehicles.

Can you tell us more about the maintenance bay? Some people get the extended vans and wall off the back two feet and use it for storage of "outdoor" type things like tools, batteries, gas cans and propane tanks. Is that what you have in mind?
Bob