Hello From Reno, NV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilD1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been very interested in living smaller, either via a small house, trailer, van or some kind of rv. watch tv shows on tiny houses. watch youtube shows on tiny houses, campers, vans, etc. including how-to stuff and came across this blog and a series of videos by bob. joined after reading quite a bit of the home page postings about solar. earlier this century I acquired a free to me 1978 23 ft Tahoe travel trailer. lived in it for about 2 years in las vegas. I find myself at 62 years of age ready to not work anymore but need to severely downsize possessions and stuff.

the real questions are involving retirement. technical stuff like how does one do it? what happens afterward? how does obamacare treat retirees? when do you get medicare? where do the checks from social security go - direct deposit?

I do know I can not sustain how I live if I retire and that is what brought me around to living smaller, plus I lived in my trailer before so I know how, even though I was in a trailer park with amenities. in a van down by the river is not worrisome cause it will be by choice.

there is lots of good reading and helpful topics at the top of the page. thanks for the insights.

any advice?

Welcome to the CRVL forums Phil! Your experience in living small will really help you this time around. I think a trailer, van or RV beats a small house any day - you can move anytime you want and have different scenery and different temperatures. You'll love it!

To answer some of your questions: I'm not sure what you mean about how to retire. Go to work and say I'm quitting. Fill out the forms to start collecting social security. The best thing to do is get the checks direct deposited. Medicare doesn't kick in until you hit 65 so you'll have to pay for health insurance until then. Each state handles Obama care differently so you'll have to research a bit and chose the best state for your home address. Bob is very happy with his insurance in Nevada so that might be a good state to look at.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

I have seen many videos Bob has made and liked that he chose Nevada as his home state. I have been living in Nevada since may 1990. I did not know it was that advantageous to live here. I just knew we had no state income tax.
it is scary to lose my income and then have to live on much less. I am someone who has not had good luck trusting the system and have lost future security because of that trust.
much research will ensue. rewatching Bob's videos as well.
thanks.

Just to let you and others ( mostly others ) know that you can also have a SSI type debit card. For those like me that don't have a banking account.
1st of the month. Your money gets automatically loaded on to your card. Social Security administration doesn't like to do that, but they will if you
want it that way. I go to a free atm and take all the funds out as soon as it's there. I will only have 2 or 3 bills to pay. When I hit the road full time.
I will either set up payments through the debit card or send cashiers checks.

Hi, Phil,
There is one place to start your research on the details of retiring and that is to go to the official social security website:

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/index.html

The above link is to their "planning" page. You'll want to read most all of the website but this page has a link to the calculator in the left column. Using that calculator will show you the amount you will receive each month if you retire at a certain date (age 62 or older). The longer you wait, the more your monthly income from SS, but the tradeoff is you miss the lower monthly income from the date you would have been eligible. You will need to figure out what would work best for yourself.

Be aware that it will take a few months AFTER you apply to begin getting the money. You don't get income during the month your application is granted and you get paid for the "prior" month --- so basically it seems to take about 2.5 months in general to have the money in your account. You are paid during a specified week each month depending on your birthdate.

I have mine direct deposited to my checking account. I then pay all my bills online. I have a mail forwarding service, but there is rarely anything for them to forward to me.

Likewise with health care. You can go to healthcare.gov and put in your state and other info and it will show you what you can get, what your subsidy will be (since your retirement income will almost surely qualify you for a reduced premium). There is also an 800 number on the site if you prefer to talk to a person.

Welcome aboard the forums Phil !
No retirement worries Phil , it's easier than it seems to get it all set up.....

Hi and welcome!

I've run the gamut of tiny living situations, I guess. I've been in my fifth wheel (stationary) for 3 years, outfitting my minivan for travel, and working on the (tiny home) 'Granny Cabin" down the road. Prior to that I had a converted cargo trailer that I LOVED. (Pretend RV, youtube).

I'm sure you'll find all the info you need on here. It's just a matter of LOTS and LOTS of reading (and asking) ! :)

thank you all for the quick responses. I will go the the ss site and use a calculator. I have been told by ss how much to expect at 65 but need to know how much is the reduction for going now.

If you're 62 , it's 75% of 65 , errrr...or 66 depending what your full retirement age is.
You could also call SS and ask , they'll tell you in about a minute !

trailer looks like it has potential. any leaks/water damage? I would start with a good scrubbing inside and out. don't forget to repack the wheel bearings and check your brakes. highdesertranger