Hello from California

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearbayou

Reaction score
Dear all:
I think one of the reasons I'm here is because my dad liked to roam around, because he was kind to the "gypsies" --and kind to many people who 'don't fit in' as my mom would say...and because, well, I'm not sure.  
   Right now, honestly, the thought of having no regular home is scary. 
   And this is true even though we live in a trailer as of 1 year ago.  Yet it's not the kind you hook onto your truck & off you go. For one thing, it was built in 1975 & been sitting right here, ever since.
   I don't know if I'll ever live out of a mobile anything, but with rent (for the lot where this old trailer sits) is rising---already it's gone up $60 /month since January--- & because I like being in the desert, forest, anywhere in-between, as long as there isn't a lot of traffic noise (as there is here in this trailer park) well, perhaps I will make the leap & live in an RV or something mobile...or maybe I'll need to live in a van while I build a strawbale cabin. (I have helped build with strawbale---long ago)
    Because y'all are outstanding DIYers and creative about many things, I look forward to learning as much as I can.
   BTW:  While watching "Nomadland," I thought a lot about my dad and knew he would've already joined up with y'all.  That film not only brought up memories but also fascination--- and fear.  
---Thanks for letting me join.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

You could try weekend camping trips to get your "sea legs" and start building up your pile of camping gear. I would start with a sleeping bag & cooler with a few meals in it. Check out what the other campers are getting by with. Some people have some amazing setups.
-crofter

You could try weekend camping trips to get your "sea legs" and start building up your pile of camping gear. I would start with a sleeping bag & cooler with a few meals in it. Check out what the other campers are getting by with. Some people have some amazing setups.
-crofter
yes. Great idea. Thanks.--- On & off, ever since I posted, I've been reading posts by members here. Wow! it's huge basket of experience & wisdom.