Hello friends

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Greetings everyone! My name is Johnny. I am a 43 year old former Marine, who has never felt comfortable trying to adhere to the social paradigms set by society. I am an introvert at heart. And, from what I have gathered here on this forum and on youtube (I'm definitely not the only one who feels this way). Finally!! Ha ha. I tend to feel socially awkward in large groups. But, I would like to work on that by socializing with more like-minded individuals. Who I decide to interact with is 100% predetermined by morals. If I feel that someone is genuinely kindhearted and their motives are pure - I will be gregarious and smiling. Conversely, if I notice negative traits i.e malice or dominating behavior- I will disappear without a word. Poof. Just like magic. Lol. My reason for writing this introduction, is to connect with others who share the same core values. I intend to arrive in Ehrenberg sometime before Christmas. And, it would be nice to have a network of friends who can acclimate me to the area; and to the unwritten rules established by the current residents.

Yo welcome, not getting to Ehrenburg until the 6th or 7th that said I used to know many of the group good helpful people conducting yourself you will learn is self explanatory IE treat people the way you would like to be treated. To be honest I have in my years with this group encountered some arrogant and misguided individuals but they are the exception. chest pounding and braggarts are soon dismissed . Sounds to me like you will be a fit

Thanks for the reply. If you see a white Ford Escape 4WD with a Roof tent and desert Camo netting set up all over the place- That'll be me.  Feel free to say hi whenever you see me, if you'd like. Because, I won't be bothering anyone out there unless they approach me first.

Welcome Johnny to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. see you at RTR. highdesertranger

Welcome Johnny! I've found many people here with the same 'high ground' in morals and good old fashioned kindness!

Thanks for the response. I will definitely be checking out the "Tips & Tricks" section. I look forward to meeting you at the RTR.

JustACarSoFar said:
Welcome Johnny!  I've found many people here with the same 'high ground' in morals and good old fashioned kindness!

That's great to hear! In my opinion, one of the saddest aspects of living life these days, is that most people lack common decency. I believe this stems from the fact that we are all inundated with negative media, over-worked, under-paid and live in crowded living conditions. I would like to believe that I could live in a community where the vast majority of us would say hello to our neighbors with a smile. While at the same time, protect each other and be kind. That's why I'm doing this. I just can't morally justify living any other way. I need to be in nature, I need simplicity and I need tribe. Thank you "JustACarSoFar". Your reply made me smile.

JG Hi I also believe in the Golden Rule and like you my social skills are not refined, unlike some I don't speak just to here myself speak or speak on issues I don't have any knowledge of. But I will make an attempt to be a little more open, It might just be small talk,but for me that's an achievement.I read that this group of people are receptive to newbies and their insecurities. So if I see your camp I will come say hi.

Welcome to the group. You'll find many here and at RTR like yourself and if you feel pressured relief is only a 1/2 mile away. Thank you for your service.

^^^^^^^I definitely feel more relaxed that I will be able to take a break and take my space from others when I need it from now on. Veteran's Day- Geesh...It's the best & worst day of the year all wrapped up in one for me. It's the best day, because I get to reflect on how much I truly loved being a Marine. And, how much wearing that uniform and being with my brothers meant to me. While at the same time, it's the worst day because there are friends of mine that aren't here anymore. These guys were the brightest stars that have ever shined. They we're someone's son, brother, lover and my first and only true friends. All I can do is stand in the shadow of better men than I; and hope that I will learn to live a less destructive life that they would be proud of. Because, I'll tell you right now- I haven't done that so far. Thanks for your service as well Chief. Be safe out there.

Being able to just move away from a negative situation is the defining characteristic of a van dweller.

JohnnyGringo said:
^^^^I like the quote Douglas^^^^

Mr. Gringo,

As you have demonstrated in your posts there is no such thing as a "former" Marine, it will always be with you, both the good and the bad. One very true constant is that all us Marines will always have your back now and forever. It's no accident that the Corps chose Semper Fi as our motto. 

You are a lot stronger than you know, you have to be, you survived! Introvert or extrovert makes no difference, be proud of who you are and what you've done to make it possible for all freedom loving people to do what they want. 

Hang in there!

JohnnyGringo said:
I just can't morally justify living any other way. I need to be in nature, I need simplicity and I need tribe.

Well said, JohnnyGringo. This is exactly how I feel, too (except sometimes I wonder if I need the tribe). Welcome and nice to "meet" you!

Thanks lorance el. Your words mean a lot to me. Semper Fi.
Nice to meet you too dawnann7.