Hello everyone

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willy1593

Reaction score
Hello,

I am going to go mobile by the end of July! I am saving for a vehicle and should be able to purchase by the 1st of July. I am recently divorced and have lost everything I own, literally! Not much to downsize. I look forward to this way of life.

Bill

Welcome aboard the forums Bill.
Stuff is just stuff , I've lost everything twice !
This is a great place to get info and ideas for a van to dwelling conversion.
Ask about anything you need to learn about and keep us posted on your progress.
Post pics of the new rig and your build too,,,,,,,,we love pics!

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Bill! Will you be heading south for the winter?

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

cyndi said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums, Bill! Will you be heading south for the winter?

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hello Cyndi,

That is my plan for now. Not sure when but this site has me looking south!

Welcome to the CRVL forum !   :) 

I'd suggest getting hold of a copy of Bob's book and begin reading through it:

"How to live in a car, van, or rv"  by Bob Wells

515DccXFuVL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Live-RV-Debt-Travel-Freedom-ebook/dp/B008S129XY

You will get a lot of answers including the selection of vehicles.

As for your aim or direction,  if you are wanting to be free to travel to better areas for work
you may find a deal on a low mileage RV that's in good shape.   You could tow a small car or
pickup truck behind it and live out of the RV.  Some people even find a good quality Trailer Park
to park in for shorter term until they decide whether they want to stay in the area or not.

If you are just wanting to get on the road, a Van that may be being sold off by a utility company could
a bargain.   This would get fair gas mileage, and be sound enough for a few years travel for you and buy time
to figure out what would work best for your needs.

You may want to check out my two sites below.  The first is a low bucks outfitting of an empty Van to get you on the road quickly.  The second is a "Swiss Army Knife"  of useful info that I put together for anyone planning a trip or while on the road.  You may want to become familiar with it.   Now is a good time to hit the yard sales and find stuff to outfit your vehicle as people are cleaning house for spring. 

All the best !

eDJ_ said:
Welcome to the CRVL forum !   :) 

I'd suggest getting hold of a copy of Bob's book and begin reading through it:

"How to live in a car, van, or rv"  by Bob Wells

515DccXFuVL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Live-RV-Debt-Travel-Freedom-ebook/dp/B008S129XY

You will get a lot of answers including the selection of vehicles.

As for your aim or direction,  if you are wanting to be free to travel to better areas for work
you may find a deal on a low mileage RV that's in good shape.   You could tow a small car or
pickup truck behind it and live out of the RV.  Some people even find a good quality Trailer Park
to park in for shorter term until they decide whether they want to stay in the area or not.

If you are just wanting to get on the road, a Van that may be being sold off by a utility company could
a bargain.   This would get fair gas mileage, and be sound enough for a few years travel for you and buy time
to figure out what would work best for your needs.

You may want to check out my two sites below.  The first is a low bucks outfitting of an empty Van to get you on the road quickly.  The second is a "Swiss Army Knife"  of useful info that I put together for anyone planning a trip or while on the road.  You may want to become familiar with it.   Now is a good time to hit the yard sales and find stuff to outfit your vehicle as people are cleaning house for spring. 

All the best !
Thanks for the info. I have Bob's book already! I am going to get a van as thats what fits my price range. Thanks for the links great info.

Need pics or it didn't happen !
Skuh kuh kuh kuh

Hey... I guess I have the same vehicle but mine had been modified on the passenger side. It was used as public transit with a wheel chair lift. So the passenger side has a "bus" door" with a huge heavy swing arm (and it used to have a drop-box for the bus fare) and also leaky double doors for the lift (which was sold to someone who needed it for parts).

Your van looks a whole lot prettier than mine!!

Excellent !   That's about as big as they come.

Mine is a 1 ton Ford version of what you have but it has no windows except in the front doors and back doors.

I feel like I have the best of both worlds with mine.  Enough room as an RV with the better fuel economy and utility of a Van.   So I can go camping/fishing or weekend touring now with my set up and still have room enough to go hit the Flea Markets and sell off my belongings (as I'm in the process of weeding out stuff now)

In time I want to have a 6 X 10 or longer trailer with the proceeds of my sell off.   The Van will just have the bed,  kitchenette, clothing storage etc.   The trailer will have the bath/toilet/laundry/generator/hot water heater/water tank/battery bank/utility room

Thus I can haul it as a unit with RV utility, and break it in camp to go touring in the Van or pick up food and supplies.  Just the example of the kind of ideas you can get in this forum.  =)

Like this old timers nifty Rig that TMG51  posted here:

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Here-s-a-nifty-rig-I-saw

WriterMs said:
Hey... I guess I have the same vehicle but mine had been modified on the passenger side. It was used as public transit with a wheel chair lift. So the passenger side has a "bus" door" with a huge heavy swing arm (and it used to have a drop-box for the bus fare) and also leaky double doors for the lift (which was sold to someone who needed it for parts).

Your van looks a whole lot prettier than mine!!

Mine also has the wheelchair lift! It has a cooling problem that needs to be fixed and I'm hoping its just the thermostat. I can't wait to get started on it.

I remember that rig TMG posted without even looking at it again!
I think it made an impression on a lot of us....

Cooling system is important , hope the fix is an easy one !

Hello

I agree Bob's book was very helpful to me.  I read it 3 times before I hit the road.  The most helpful part, I thought, was to let go of your fears and get out there. Sooo True!!!! :)

Enjoy your journey!

Glenda From Oz

Glenda From Oz said:
Hello

I agree Bob's book was very helpful to me.  I read it 3 times before I hit the road.  The most helpful part, I thought, was to let go of your fears and get out there. Sooo True!!!! :)

Enjoy your journey!

Glenda From Oz
Hi,

I am on my second time through the book making lists for the van for things to do and buy! I agree about the fear part. I enjoy the videos Bob has done as well.

Bill