Hello everybody

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patd4u2

Reaction score
I joined the site yesterday, I have been enjoying watching Bob's and James Youtube videos and getting some great ideas for a few months and have made up my mind to do some long term camping, I am out west in inland southern California and plan to go out to Quartz site and do some camping and up in the mountains around flagstaff and maybe up to Utah.
I was looking at teardrop trailers and was going to go with one of those but changed my mind and decided on a off road trailer with a pop-up so that I can stand up in it. After doing some shopping I found that they are way out of my price ranges so I got my son-in-law to build it for me and hopefully it should be finished in a couple of months. I have been purchasing equipment for it off of Amazon and ebay since around Oct to spread the cost somewhat.
I cant wait to get going on this. Should be fun.
Pat D

Welcome Pat! Please post some pics, we love build progress photos :)

Thank you for the kind greetings, I put some short videos on my youtube channel back in November when I started buying the things for the trailer, back then it was going to be a teardrop trailer for my daughter to use with my grand daughter when they go on girl scout camping trips, She hasn't really said to much after it as turned into a off road trailer for me to take off in..lol. I'll have to still get my son-in-law to build her tear drop or else I'll be in trouble with my grand daughter.
I guess I shouldn't have watched Bob and James videos on van living and where and how they live out there, it lit a fire under me to get off the couch and go out and do some traveling.

Wow, you really are building a trailer...from the axle up! I have to ask though, why not put the solar panels where one usually places them...on the roof? ;)

BradKW said:
Wow, you really are building a trailer...from the axle up! I have to ask though, why not put the solar panels where one usually places them...on the roof?   ;)

They were originally going to be mounted on the roof with one end hinged so that I could get the full power out of them during the day, but decided to have them portable so that I could park the trailer in the shade to keep it cooler and have the panels out in the sun.
I must have changed my mind on this trailer a million times since I first dreamed it up..lol

Can't wait to  see the finished product.  Looks awesome.

nobodyG17 said:
Can't wait to  see the finished product.  Looks awesome.

I'll keep posting some short videos as the trailer takes shape. Even though it is going to be a fraction of the cost of a store bought one I still have to keep in my monthly budget.
So it is not going as fast as I would like it to go, plus my son-in-law can only work on it on the weekends if he isn't doing some work on one of his friends or someones VW, he is an ace air cooled VW guy, knows all about them.

Welcome aboard!

Watched all your vids, or at least 11 of them I think, bear in mind
many on here don't have the bandwidth to watch them, so some
pics would be most helpful.

I like how you progressively increased the size of the trailer!
Also the upgrade to a compressor fridge is a very good move.

SaltySeaWitch said:
Hello and welcome! Looking forward to following your journey.

Thank you, I am looking forward to this too. I cant wait to get out on the road and do some sight seeing and extended boon docking. I have always wanted to go up to utah for the summer.

ahh_me2 said:
Welcome aboard!

Watched all your vids, or at least 11 of them I think, bear in mind
many on here don't have the bandwidth to watch them, so some
pics would be most helpful.

I like how you progressively increased the size of the trailer!
Also the upgrade to a compressor fridge is a very good move.

Thank you, It never occurred to me about the band width! I will post some pictures on here of the trailer build if anybody wants to see them.
I knew this would happen if I started with tear drop build. At least it didn't turn into a 5th wheel or class A!  lol