Hello.. Design phase newbie

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krenov72

Reaction score
Hello. Love this forum. I have been heavily looking into this lifestyle, and every possible vehicle and set up. I am leaning towards a small box truck or van conversion. I want a set up that will allow me to live and work full time, with occasional trips to start. As I am able to save money, i would be looking to travel for months at a time. Ideally , I would be renting a small workshop in the country as a sort of home base.. Hopefully one I could openly, or stealthily live in in the van if I wanted to. I work as a cabinetmaker and woodworker. I would like to say, build decks and fences in the spring for a few months, then take the summer off.. Then pick up some work in the fall, and make some Christmas items to sell etc. I also worked as a cook for many years.. Pretty easy work to find for a month here and there , or regular seasonal gigs.. I live in the lower mainland, British Columbia, just outside of Vancouver. I want to build a mind blowing setup, that makes you say wow without choking on the price haha. Probably start with a simple camping type setup and see how the space is.. Work out a few kinks to get some reality thrown in with my lofty dreams!

Krenov72, welcome to the CRVL forums! Lucky you being a carpenter. I hope you'll share your designs and finished product with us!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Aww shucks, thanks guys. It is realisticlly a ways off, but I will be happy to share any ideas I have in the interim. If anyone needs help or advice, I'm happy to assist. If anyone is near Vancouver, and needs some work done , or help, I'm sure I would be happy to do it for free, or beer haha, to get some experience with van builds. Kind of why I'm leaning towards a box truck, nice and square ! Plus I could pack a few more tools for getting work on the road.

I've had my box van since July and like you said, been taking my time with the conversion while going on shorter trips to feel out what I really need and it's working well so far! Good luck on your project.

Thanks. What size box? There are a few grocery chains around here that have a perfect little van cutaways. Box only sticks out 6 or 8 inches, and maybe a 12 foot box. Overall length is less than 20 feet. Not too high, like a lot of u hauls I see. Basically a extended van, with a bigger square rear you can stand in. Less mpg than a full size box truck, but not as good as a regular height van. I think it's worth taking your time, and have a very well thought out set up. What Iike about a box truck is you can have lots of storage vertically, and get a bit more open floor space . Do you have a pass through? I was planning a raised bed platform at the cab end of the box, and if there is a pass through, have the platform on two storage units on the outer sides of the box . I would put sliding doors on the units, accessed from the middle. Maybe shallower cabinets accessed from in the living area. Depending on what counters/ tables etc were located close to the bed area. Congrats on the box truck !! Hope to join you soon

Mine is a 10 by 6.5 ft box like the smallest size uhaul, about 6 ft of standing room. Perfect size for me (smallish shortish), very comfortable driving in the city too. There's a pass through and my bunk is up against the rear of the box. I've kept the floor plan really open which hasn't left a ton of room for storage and amenities. 12 ft box would be pretty roomy I think.

i love those little trucks! I'm 6'2", so I would have to see if I could stand in one haha.

Hey, glad to hear from another planner. I too am working on getting my van converted. I have the same idea of not installing any permanent woodwork until I've lived in my van a while to figure out how I want things arranged.

I think it's the best way to go if you can. It's a very small space( which is part of the appeal) and I think you should maximize every square inch , including clean, uncluttered open space. Being organized will help it stay tidy, making you feel better, And looks better if the police knock on your door in the middle of the night. Plus I think it's fun to design and build things. Simple is usually best, but I feel a well thought out and executed simple is the goal to strive for.