Heating Water

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmith58

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am looking for opinions on the best way to heat small amounts of water for cooking and/or bathing.
Thanks,
Don

That depends on where you are!

If you're in sunny weather and want a shower, then paint a new sprayer like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-Gal-Economy-Sprayer-1502HDX/203585560 black and set it out in the sun.

If the sun isn't shining or it's too cold out to do that, I heat water on my propane stove.

If I'm in a campground with electric (rare but still), I use a small electric 'hot pot' that packs nicely.

Thanks for the info. I noticed Roadpro makes several 12v appliances, one being a 20oz hot pot which heats water. Anyone have experiences with Roadpro products?
Thanks,
Don

Look at them on Amazon for the ratings, but buy them at a truck stop for ease of return.

I have a roadpro - it's the rectangular one- want it?
It is ok for heating 12 oz of water while driving, though slow. It turns itself off if I forget, which is a good feature. I use it for tea as I drive sometimes, but mostly it is stored and I use a single burner propane and stop to enjoy tea or coffee.

I use this Rosdpro 20oz pot nearly every day when on the road to heat hot water for cooking and washing. It does take about 20 minutes to boil.

I make to pots and fill a large 24 hr thermos and have very hot water until the next day. Sometimes I use the hot water to cook in my thermos.

8937bff9fcc8c62e4206cd48be950045.jpg

Brent

The best way to heat water for bathing is the propane stove. I use mine for heating water for bathing/cooking. Last June I bought a 2 burner stove and hooked it up to a 20lb propane tank, using it everyday I haven't had to refill it yet.

I use a Kelly Kettle similar to this one http://www.amazon.com/Kelly-versati...8&qid=1450296211&sr=8-4&keywords=kelly+kettle

There are a variety of Kelly Kettle products that carry 20 ounces to 57 ounces and range in price from $70 to $180 and can be used for only heating water to cooking.  You only need sticks or dry grass and fire to burn it.  No propane or electricity needed.  Takes about 6.5 minutes to boil.

We use an electric kettle plugged into our 2000 watt Harbor Freight inverter, something like this: 

http://www.amazon.com/Ovente-KP72W-...r=8-2&keywords=electric+kettle+hamilton+beach

It takes about 5 minutes to boil about 2 liters - less time if you use less water. Works like a charm but since our inverter is small (and cheap) don't use an extension cord with it. Just plug straight into the inverter. Our power needs aren't much so this is the biggest hog. With an 122ah battery from Wally World it holds up just fine.

I've played with lots of fancy methods but my current method involves a single burner Coleman propane stove, $7 tea kettle, and a temperature meter with remote sensor. I can get it to almost exactly 100 degrees in a few minutes and the size is just right for basic cleaning.

Those kettles are good. But, I can use my single propane where I couldn't burn smoky stuff.
calicorkication said:
I use a Kelly Kettle similar to this one http://elly-versatile-Kettle-Prepar...8&qid=1450296211&sr=8-4&keywords=kelly+kettle

There are a variety of Kelly Kettle products that carry 20 ounces to 57 ounces and range in price from $70 to $180 and can be used for only heating water to cooking.  You only need sticks or dry grass and fire to burn it.  No propane or electricity needed.  Takes about 6.5 minutes to boil.

Propane stove or single burner butane stove and a tea kettle...
The amount of juice for a 12 volt appliance to heat and boil water is enormous.

Awhile back I saw this simple solar hot water heater made of a recycled Refrigerator Coil.

It basically had a plastic tank of water positioned on a higher elevation with two vinyl tubes
coming out of the side.  One higher than the other.

The solar panel wasn't much larger than an old fashioned wash board so the coil must have
came from a small Fridge.  (one of those Dormitory Fridge's)

The tubing at the bottom of the plastic tank connected to the bottom of the coil of the solar
panel.  The one at the top to the upper connection of the coil of the solar panel.

20110123solarheater.jpg

During the day time it could provide hot water for various needs.  Just to have ready hot water.

I'm sure this idea could be refined to have a domestic water coil built into the same tank so that
the drinking water would be free of any contamination from the Fridge coil. (if that's an issue)
It would only require a small 12 VDC pump to send cold water from a small tank through the domestic coil and deliver hot water to where it's needed. (like an on demand hot water heater)

I have a JetBoil. Remarkably efficient at heating water. I use it for camping and as a backup when I can't heat water with electricity, but could easily use it full time. Since heating water takes a ton of energy, I make the extra effort to use as little heated water as possible.

I've seen videos using evacuated tubes to preheat their water or if you have a decent amount of sun and time, you can get boiling water. About 1 liter capacity. Prices start at about $30: http://greenpowerscience.com/VACUUMTUBE1.php

Since the tubes have vacuum insulation, the heated water may stay hot for several hours. If that is the case, you can warm it up during the day, bring it in overnight, and use the preheated water. It takes MUCH less energy to heat warm water than cold water.

Also, bringing water to an actual boil takes more energy than it seems. Bringing water to the edge of a boil (or less) when possible will save you a ton of energy. Bringing it all the way to a boil, just a few degrees more, takes a ton of energy. If I remember right, almost as much energy as what it took to bring the water to the edge of a boil in the first place. I don't completely understand the concept; it's one of the laws of physics things.

I use the propane stove, I used to have a 12 volt kettle but it took so long that I almost died of boredom waiting for it, on top of that it was made out of alluminium which is very dangerous to be cooking or heating stuff on or in, linked to Alzheimer's, what was I saying??

freerangetortoise said:
We use an electric kettle plugged into our 2000 watt Harbor Freight inverter, something like this: 

That is a great suggestion. I have a Bodum brand .5 liter/17 ounce (more expensive yet looks to be about the same quality as the one you suggested). I went with the smaller one as it is only 700 watts, which is less of a hard draw on the batteries, but it is small. Unfortunately, it isn't big enough for some of what I need and I'm pretty frugal with my hot water. It is large enough for my potable water needs (tea, oatmeal), but not for showering, washing dishes, etc. Wish they made a 700 watt with the larger 1.5 liter capacity with the same concealed heating element and cordless. Once you go with a cordless model, you won't go back. The Bodum doesn't rust at all.

I also have a 1000 watt Procter/Silex that was $10, but I use it only for non-potable applications as the heating plate is rusting. It is corded, so more of a pain to use. Otherwise, it is a work horse.

I would also buy a good thermos to keep the water hot, longer.