heat plus hot bread

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
If you are in need of some heat to keep warm then you might as well get a bonus out of the heating fuel and cook something tasty and nutritious that takes a little while longer to cook than a typical fast meal prep time. It could be soup, or a pot of beans or stew or it could be a loaf of bread!

You can make a loaf of bread in a pan on top of a propane burner ring. But not on one of the xtra small burners. You would want one of the larger sized ones such as Bob Wells uses or a built in stovetop or 2 burner camp stove. This takes a dutch oven sized pan that can hold a small bread loaf pan.

To see how it is done and get a recipe go to youtube and enter "bread without an oven" in the search box. The channel "yummy" is a good one to start with but they are not the only channel that has recipes and methods for making bread on a stovetop.

On cold, cloudy days when I can not use the solar ovens I love to use the oven in the trailer to get some baking done as well as get double duty out of the heat. Actually it is triple duty as I set the coffee pots full of water on the oven vents and have free hot water for doing the dishes. I cook on the stove top too but try to stay away from boiling water due to the condensation it causes.

Don't want homemade bread for a bed warmer because it uses propane? what are your suggestions?
I use a bean bag in my microwave. One sock, one or two pounds of rice, beans or other. test first. about two or three minutes should do it. I also use a liter bottle with hot water in a sock, in bed with me.

I don't have bread making skills, so I get some crescent roll dough in a tube, unroll it, let it rise for a while, then fry it.

I've never made stove-top bread. Probably the simplest way I've found of making really good bread in an oven is on the Bread in 5 channel. Just four ingredients, and instead of kneading, you let the dough rise slowly in the fridge. It's just gets better over time.

Not having the patience to make bread by hand, I bring a bread maker along. Fresh bread cheap and easy but it doesn't do much to heat the camper.

The target audience for this posting would be persons who use propane to heat and have a stov-etop burner but no oven. The fault is mine for not spelling out very clearly in the first sentence of the posting exactly who the target audience is.

Therefore all the responses were from people who have zero real interest in the topic. Oh well ...

Many people read and learn but don't post. I enjoyed this thread. The title communicated well. Triple use out of the heat expenditure that includes most anything baked -- how much better can it get? I wonder what you were hoping for that you haven't gotten yet?

I love the no-knead bread recipes, and have used them almost exclusively the past 5 years or so.

Though I have propane burners when traveling, I don’t have an oven, and often make pan bread with my no-knead dough from the frig.

Tear off a chunk of dough, smaller or larger depending on how hungry you are or how many to be fed.

Pat it into a rather flat circle and put it in a warmed skillet with some melted butter. I like a small cast iron skillet for this, but have used a large, non stick when doing bigger quantities.

Turn to coat, cover and let rise til puffy, 45 minutes-1 hour.

Over medium heat, cook with lid on til one side is browned, flip and cook the other side, remove lid the last few minutes to make sure any moisture has evaporated.

You get a little warmth, fresh homemade bread and not the propane use of a full loaf of bread in an oven, if you even have one. :)

If you don’t make your own dough, frozen roll dough works well this way. Thaw overnight in your frig, pat out and bake as described.

Any old backpacker worth his salt knows how to make trail bread. In a plastic bag, mix flour, water and a little baking powder into a dough. Roll this dough into a long cylinder, then wrap it in a spiral around a green tree branch. Hold it over the coals and bake it till it's no longer sticky inside (poke a twig into it--if it comes out clean, it's done).

Add raisins or cranberries or whatever else you want.

Yum.

:)

We often use our stovetop Ovenette as a heat source instead of our RV furnace because the furnace fan depletes the batteries too fast.
In the morning we throw in some potatoes and have baked potatoes for lunch. If I have stale bread and remember to make it the night before we have strata.
In the evening we bake chicken, meatloaf, pizza, etc.
And dessert! - cakes, bar cookies, banana bread

lenny flank said:
Any old backpacker worth his salt knows how to make trail bread. In a plastic bag, mix flour, water and a little baking powder into a dough. Roll this dough into a long cylinder, then wrap it in a spiral around a green tree branch. Hold it over the coals and bake it till it's no longer sticky inside (poke a twig into it--if it comes out clean, it's done).

Add raisins or cranberries or whatever else you want. Yum. :)

Or an old Girl Scout. :)

Goofy interpretation. It often doesn't do to imagine people's thoughts. Weight and I both have interest in the topic or we wouldn't have either read it or responded, obviously.

You provided a link -- well, not even that -- rather than any original information, though, so you didn't leave a lot to comment on. I'm glad WanderingRose told how she did it.

WanderingRose said:
I love the no-knead bread recipes, and have used them almost exclusively the past 5 years or so. ....
I'll try that soon, WR! Thanks for the guide.
I'm a big fan of no-knead, too.  I'm not that interested in kneading and don't have a stand mixer ... and sure wouldn't have a monster appliance like that in a trailer!

There’s s recipe out there that makes something like five loaves, storing the dough in the refrigerator, but I use the one for a single loaf.

Mix it one day, let it sit covered on your counter, shape and bake the next day.

You’ll need a Dutch Oven that can go into your oven for these breads.

They are easy, and delicious. :)

The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day does that. After you mix your four ingredients together by hand, you give it a couple of hours uncovered or lightly covered in a warmish area, then stick the dough in a container in the fridge to let it rise slowly. There's enough in their recipe for a few loaves of bread. The dough just gets better over the course of the week. Dramatically better, actually. The crust is phenomenal.

There's no reason that the same dough couldn't be used on a stove top rather than in a oven, it seems to me.

The authors are the same who are running that Bread in 5 channel on youtube.

I've also had a lot of success with another no-knead recipe, the one from the New York Times that started it all. Same basic concept that took the world by storm.

That’s the one I’m referring to, tho most of us when traveling don’t have room to store that much dough in a frig or cooler, nor that many mouths to feed.

Jim Lahey, I think it is, has the one loaf artisan bread recipe that I have modified some for my own use. I’ll see if I can find it online.

I have kept this in the frig a week, pulling off chunks to let rise and bake in a skillet.

Found it:

https://leitesculinaria.com/99521/recipes-jim-laheys-no-knead-bread.html