heat plus hot bread

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You get the most flavor if you let the dough set a while. That's also what makes no-knead work well. The gluten that gives bread its height and structure develops over a long period of time or by kneading, but you need one or the other. Overnight is fine, though.

Re doing it with no refrigeration at all -- you can try to adapt this method:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

The tricky part is that everyone's environment is very different. The above recipe suggests resting the dough at about 70 degrees. If you can't do that, you may have to make some adjustments to make your bread come out right, like letting it rise for a longer time.

The no knead, single loaf recipe I linked earlier is mixed one day and baked 18-24 hours later.

It rests loosely covered at room temperature during that time, during which it rises and develops gluten.

When I am traveling, after the dough has had its time on the counter, I pull off a chunk for pan bread then, and cover the rest to put in the frig to use up, a chunk at a time, in the next week or so.

Once baked, it is good for a couple of days, after which mostly for toast or grilled sandwiches. There aren’t the preservatives in it that commercial bread has.

At home, I slice a fresh loaf up the day after it is baked and put it in the freezer, then taking a slice or two out as I want it.

You don't have to use yeast to make bread in the loaf forms. You don't need to have a long rising time, you can decide.."I want to make a loaf of bread" and have it ready to eat within an hour's time.

If you look at the various accounts of pioneers traveling across the country in wagon trains and also for things such as cattle drives you will see that many times what they were making was variations of soda breads. It is a very traditional type of bread making and it does not require a long rising time as the leavening action begins right away. No doubt you have heard of Irish Soda Bread.

Refrigeration is a relatively recent development in the history of mankind and there are still a lot of people in third world countries who do not have access to it. So you don't have to turn the clock back very far to find out how people make their daily loaf of bread.

Of course you can do steamed breads in a dutch oven on a stovetop but that might not be a good idea as condensation is already an issue when heating with propane in the winter time :(

Yup, there is the baking soda/baking powder way too.

You have to move fast, though, because once you add baking soda, it's a chemical process that acts IMMEDIATELY. Once it wears out, the dough can start to fall. So you would want to preheat your oven/containers first, and only when everything has come up to temperature or very near to it, add and mix in your baking soda.

It works, but you don't get the flavor you do with yeasted doughs that have rested a while.