Healthy and filling recipe

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher473

Reaction score
I though my first post could be a recipe. I could also make a video as soon as my new cooker is delivered :) I try to cook cheap but also healthy, we mostly shop at farmers markets and private sellers to have the best quality without to many chemicals.

Pour oil in a pan and let it heat up, toss in the onion which should be cut into small pieces, throw in the sausage which should be cut into small cubes, stir and let it fry a little. Add the peppers and let them sit till they start to release the juice you can already add in salt and pepper based on your taste. After about 5 minutes add in the tomatoes which should also be cut into slices and let them sit. They have lot of juice just like the peppers so it will become very watery looking. When you see that the tomatoes or peppers have no more juice to give toss in the eggs and mix. The eggs will absorb the juice and will make the food thicker.

ingredients for 3 portions:
2 big onions
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
2 big tomatoes
1 sausage
4 eggs
Salt
Peper
Oil
Fresh bread

Attachments

• egggggs.jpg
    egggggs.jpg
    42.8 KB
I cheat, I start with Potatoes O'Brien then add ingredients from there. ;)

That looks great!
Taco Soup
Browned hamburger, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 can red beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 packet taco seasoning, or seasonings of your choice
Mix all together and simmer for 1 hour on campstove, or in dutch oven in coals, or 2 hours in solar oven.
Serve with tortillas, corn chips, or best corn bread from solar oven (can cook at the same time as soup).
You can double or quadruple this for a crowd.

Thanks for the recipes! The following are cheap, filling, no refridge, 4 decent servings.

Need 4 quart pot w/lid and 6+ quart bowl. That's what I use anyways.

Hobo Burritos! (No meat)

12 tortillas
1 cup rice
1 can refried beans
1 can tomatoes w/green chili peppers
Hot Sauce!
Optional-corn in burrito mix or just can of vegetables on side.

Drain tomato juice into water used to cook rice.
Cook rice.
Add refried beans/tomatoes/hot sauce when rice is done and let heat back up.
I add additional hot sauce to each burrito when I eat it.

Feeds 2 people lunch and dinner. Lunch leftovers in Tupperware for dinner. No fridge needed. Approx $5.00

I rate it 3.5 outta 5, but I'm easy to please!

Sweet and Stinky!

1.5 cups rice.
2 cans pork & beans.
1 can tomatoes w/green chili's or just plain tomatoes.
1 can spam(Walmart brand is about $1.60)
6 tablespoons brown sugar.
Dash or 2 garlic powder.
Optional- can of vegetables on side

Drain tomato juice into water used to cook rice.
Cook rice(if using just one pot, you will need to dump rice into large bowl and then proceed to rest of cooking)
Cube spam into smaller pieces.
Heat up beans/spam/tomatoes/brown sugar. Add garlic powder to taste.(1-2 healthy shakes)
When hot mix thoroughly with rice.

Serving size approx 2 cups. 4 servings. Leftovers in Tupperware for dinner. No fridge needed. Approx $5.00

I rate this a good 4.5 outta 5, but remember, I'm easy to please when it comes to grub!

Another Mexican delicacy, Five Can Chili:

1 can Pinto Beans
1 can Black Beans
1 can Corn
1 can Tomato Sauce
1 can Rotel Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles
2 tbsp Chili Powder
Dump all cans and chili powder in pan and heat until boiling. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

We serve this with sour cream, shredded cheddar and garlic toast. You can add meat if you choose. Feeds 2 of us for 3 days. :)

Latest posts