Heading to Arizona

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vleolynn

Reaction score
Hello this is my second post the first one I posted introduce myself and my dog Jake if any of you responded to it I apologize if I had not respond back because I can't find that post I'm still new to this site and I'm still learning it. So on that note, my traveling partner who is my dog Jake him and I are leaving this Thursday down to Arizona from Seattle Washington. Looking for recommendation on the best way to go. Hopefully I can find this post again and be able to respond.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

The "best" way sort of depends on what's important to you. Speed? Scenery (and what type)? Weather? Places to boondock along the way? Lower fuel prices? And so on.

MrNoodly said:
The "best" way sort of depends on what's important to you. Speed? Scenery (and what type)? Weather? Places to boondock along the way? Lower fuel prices? And so on.
Speed is not of importance. Scenery weather and places to Boondock with low fuel prices sounds like a good way to go. I'm planning on going to Yuma Arizona first and then back up to Boise to the wrtr I believe that's what it is then back to Quartzsite for the RTR this will be my first year I can't wait for everything to get started here

Anyone going to the 2019 rtr from houston to Arizona and want to travel together let me know

The Coast won't be freezing (maybe wet), but gas is expensive in CA and there aren't really any legal free places to camp on the CA coast. There are more boondocking option along US-101, but not that many.

I-5 is boring past Redding, and the Central Valley is warmer than the mountains. There are few free and legal camping options and the gas is expensive.

Going farther east, like US-395, or I-84 to I-15 will put you in higher elevations with a lot of boondocking options, but it's very cold and probably snowy and maybe icy. The gas will be cheaper (except in CA).

I recently drove from San Francisco to Yuma. Because of all those considerations, I bit the bullet and took I-5 to Bakersfield, then cut across the Mojave to Needles, then south on 95 to Yuma. It wasn't fun, but it's not really the time of year for that.

Hi vleolynn, I'm a newbie too! I've been watching the YouTube videos for a couple years and learning about the lifestyle. My son helped me build a tiny home travel trailer. It's small 7' x 12' but it's finally beginning to look and feel like a home. I'm still organizing for actually traveling when everything must have a place and be secured. I'm heading to Arizona too! I'm in a rural area not far from Cathlamet WA. I have a business event to attend in Portland on Dec. 1st then plan to hit the road as soon as it's over. I looked over lots of options and finally settled on taking I-5 all the way to 126 to Ventura CA where I have friends I plan to visit for a couple days. I'm going to take my time though so I can enjoy the trip and my little trailer home en route. I located a couple RV parks and campgrounds that are cheap but have good reviews. I don't have my solar hooked up yet and would like to have electricity. My solar panels are supposed to be delivered to my daughter's house soon. I plan to go to the RTR in Quartzsite AZ - but I'll spend Christmas with my son in AZ first. If you'd like to meet up let me know. If you're in a hurry though that might not be possible I plan to only drive 5 to 6 hours a day. In the past I've always pushed it a tried to drive 10 to 12 hours before stopping and then just at a truck stop where I could sleep a couple hours in my car and push off again. That just takes too much out of me, I want to relax and enjoy the drive this time.
[/quote]

Hi coyote woman your trailer house sounds nice. I drive a Nissan Rogue I have it set up to where I can sleep in there and depending how long I stay in an area I do pitch a tent. It would be my pleasure to meet up somewhere I'm leaving here on Thursday. Taking my time heading down through California going through the Redwoods heading into Sacramento to meet up with a couple other people traveling to the wrtr and the RTR. Where to meet in Sacramento on December 6th I think. You're more than welcome to join us if you like. I don't know if we're going to be camping at campgrounds though. We do a lot of dispersed camping. Hope to see you on the road look for an orange Nissan Rogue with a Ohio license plate has an ugly cargo box on top and that'll be me and my dog Jake. Safe travels

Thank you for that. I'll probably head down I-5 over to Yuma Arizona.