Headache's Mobile Money Pit

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis said:
About the wet headliner.  I had same issue on a 1995 Ford van. Wet around the edges at side windows.  Got tired of that and sealed top of windows real well. Never could get that to stop but never saw water coming in. Still a mystery to me.

You nailed it there.  I've owned several of these vans and only one wasn't a leaker.  I swear they invented new ways to make sure they leaked so they could sell more parts.

When I get into drier weather(it rains damn near every day and we've had a total of a week of sunshine since Oct. 1st) I'll start from the top and seal the seam around where the roof cap meets the body and go from there.  Nothing from the heater core as of yet.

Rig up a fan, electric leaf blower, Vacuum with an exhaust hose etc so that it blows air into the van under pressure. Use duct tape, plastic, whatever you need to get it to seal. Now spray the outside of the van with soapy water. Look for bubbles. Sometimes where the roof meets the body at the gutter area will leak.

Thanks guys but again, I don't have access to things like electricity, air, garden hoses, etc. I'm either staying at an RV park in the dry camping area or a church parking lot, neither of which will allow me to work on my van. I do have my former neighbor but other than a few times to work on it I'm at the mercy of his schedule and girlfriend. I'm just going to have to tough out living in it while trying to find where the leaks are and dealing with them as I can.

I called the kids recreation club to find out more about the van. The assistant director filled me in on it's history. They were the original owners and it did sit for most of the 5 idle years at their property until they donated it to a local organization that takes vehicles. They parked it because it was old, had issues(especially electrical) and the 2 vans(one was a Dodge) were being replaced. The broken glass I found wasn't from the side swipe it was from the van being vandalized while parked. So, possibly one of those windows was not sealed properly when replaced. The side swipe occurred in a grocery store parking lot and the vehicle that did it left. The van driver came out and found it that way. No one was ever caught.

So, in terms of actual ownership I'm the 4th from Samena, the donation lot, the sales lot and then me. As far as actual use I'm the 2nd. At least I know it's history!

Today the seat belts and plastic come out and then I run to the dump before it closes, then I clean it up as best I can. Tomorrow the vacuum booster and master cylinder get replaced then I start building the bed frame in Lowes parking lot. Monday I move in it and put this van up for sale. Tuesday night is my last night at the campground and Wednesday I'm back at the church so I can save what money I can for the trip down to Nevada.

If I have to replace all the window seals I'm okay with that because I also want to tint the windows as well. There is a 15 level tint on this van on all the windows behind the front seats and it really contributes to privacy. It's definitely not as dark as limo tint but it does make things difficult to see unless the sun is at just the right angle or I have a light on. However, the law states 20 in NM so I'll do that to be on the safe side.

I have a pic to post later that some of you may find useful; it's an extended Club Wagon with the very rear little window on the drivers side removed. In it's place is a metal plate held on by 4 bolts and attached to that plate is a fan very similar to a Fantastic fan. I thought it was a great way to do that without cutting the roof. I know I could use a fan right now!

BBS!

Headache said:
It's pretty damp in there.

I love, love, love those press-in window vent things that allow you to keep the windows cracked without rain getting in:

41sTUH6NWGL._AC_US160_.jpg

Those window deflectors will definitely be on my list of purchases, especially with how much moisture I get in this van.  When it's raining the condensation is unbelievable!

I've been busy tying up loose ends so I can leave sometime next month but the leak issue is really important to tackle because I can't put in a floor or insulate until I do, and even for the couple of days it hit 60 here the interior of the van was at least 80.  My cat is pretty heat tolerant but it could really hurt my dog.

Of the 11 windows I have I know that at least 4 of them leak.  Three of them leak from the top and one from the bottom.  The top leakers are easy to get around because I can tape plastic bags under them to catch the water.  Not so much for the 1 bottom leaker.  All the windows are stationary(they don't open/close) and most of them leak around the small bolts that the window is bolted in with.

The other issue that is making things difficult is that the cig plug doesn't work so no charging phones or the craptop.  I'm at the library right now charging everything back up.

The blower motor stopped working again so no heat or defrost.  That means something other than the previously replaced relay is at fault and finding that issue is waaayyyyyyyyyyy out of my realm.  That's the first thing I need fixed as soon as my old van is officially sold and I have the cash in hand.  Should happen around Wednesday and I was given a $100 non-refundable deposit.  =)

See if you can find a ground wire from the blower motor/housing to the firewall. Sometimes they can have oxidation or light rust and not be grounding. Cleaning the strap end at the connection to the firewall and metal around it on the firewall might get it to going again.

on the blower motor, check the ground on the motor very common problem. also take the fan speed switch and cycle many times quickly see if it starts working. highdesertranger

Headache said:
The blower motor stopped working again so no heat or defrost.  That means something other than the previously replaced relay is at fault and finding that issue is waaayyyyyyyyyyy out of my realm.  That's the first thing I need fixed as soon as my old van is officially sold and I have the cash in hand.  Should happen around Wednesday and I was given a $100 non-refundable deposit.  =)

If it's the blower itself, I replaced one on a (Ranger?  Mazda Protege? can't remember) and it was pretty easy.  The blower lived behind a panel in the passenger footwell.  Remove cover bolts, remove blower bolt, disconnect.   Replaced in reverse order.  I think the part was $40.

When I find someone that knows automotive electrical they'll be checking grounds I'm sure.  My "list":

Find and fix whatever is causing the fried relays when using the heat.

Find and fix whatever is not allowing the drivers door window to not go up and down.

Fix the cig plug and wire one in for use in the rear of the van.

So approximate costs at this time:

$1350       van
$460         title, tax, registration, etc
$560         front brakes parts and labor
$295         brake booster and master cylinder parts and labor
$40           mildew cleaner, gloves, stench killer, paper towels
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
$2705       Total so far

My next goals are these:

Create a catchment of sorts for the leaks at the tops of the windows so I can at least contain most of the water getting it until I can clean and seal them up
Build my bed
Sort through everything going with me and store in appropriate containers
Get the roof rack installed
Load rest of stuff
Escape in approximately 2 weeks

You caught my eye with "mildew cleaner" I have various spots on my van around the mirror plastic, window channels, gutters etc. which are annoying me pretty bad. Do you have something in mind that won't be harsh on the paintwork? Or is that for the interior in your case?

i have a buddy that loves CLR,,,,dang
Headeache,,,,your motivated,,,

Vanada said:
You caught my eye with "mildew cleaner" I have various spots on my van around the mirror plastic, window channels, gutters etc. which are annoying me pretty bad. Do you have something in mind that won't be harsh on the paintwork? Or is that for the interior in your case?

Mildew is an ongoing issue in Florida, I use 60/40 white vinegar and water and that cleans it up nicely.

Vanada said:
Do you have something in mind that won't be harsh on the paintwork? Or is that for the interior in your case?

It was something I got from Walmart but the name escapes me now.  When I get to storage I'll try to remember to write it down.  It wasn't a chemical and it wasn't vinegar either.  It worked as well as it could but the mildew smell is saturated into the seats as well as the sun visors.  I gotta replace everything and yep it was for the interior.

Many of my friends have told me that if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.  Murphy has been a consistent acquaintance and yesterday was no different.

I knew I was having issues with the transmission, it is an E4 OH DEAD(E4OD) after all.  I was hoping it would last long enough to get to the shop in Cedar City, UT I really like but no dice.  By the time I got to the big hill on Rt 522 en-route to storage is was doing 52 with no drop down in gears.  Crap.  And no visit to storage.

While I mulled over my options in the local Walmart parking lot I remembered I needed a lube and oil.  My preferred place is closed on Sundays so off to the local Gyp Me Lube I went.  I left with my receipt and a strong recommendation to go see a mechanic because of the metal shavings in the rear end.  Crap.

Figuring out my budget it will take me about 2 years to save up the money.  Thankfully the church that graciously lets me stay in their parking lot doesn't have a time limit.  I made the hosts aware of my situation and was pleased to learn they were fine with it and know of a few resources that may be able to get me on the road.  Will update as warranted.

I'm sorry to hear about your tranny problems.  I hope you are able to get thru this OK and folks will pitch in to help.  I've had 2 trannys rebuillt and I was lucky enough to have the funds to have it done. Once I was still working and refinanced the truck and the 2nd one I had just sold a little house and was moving 850 miles in the Ranger with it leaking tranny fluid from s.e. Mo into n.c. KY, I made it tho and was towing a loaded homemade trailer with everything I owned on it.  

I wish you good luck with everything

Jewellann

Headache said:
Saving this for future reference.  

I love his garage area idea and the AC beeing mounted inside.

I would not rebuild the 92 E4OD.  The  95 E4od's and above, got all the factory upgrades, the 94 got all but one.
The computer wiring harness connector plug is a problem in switching to a newer year.
If you can go to the 94 E4od  it should match your PCM connector.
I had a 96 E4OD  rebuilt, with the 94 PCM connector and I am very happy with it.

If you do rebuild the 92 E4OD get atleast this upgrade installed
http://www.ebay.com/itm/E4OD-4R100-...aring-Hub-Ford-Truck-/151731917654?rmvSB=true

Good luck!